It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Men's Health Message Board

Doctor appointment needed after testicular ultrasound?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
reloaded47
(male)

reloaded47 HB User
Doctor appointment needed after testicular ultrasound?

Hello,

I just got back from a testicular ultrasound about a lump which it turns out is a small cyst. As it was a cyst, the clinician decided he should look at the contralateral kidney. After looking at it for around 1 minute he said nothing of if the kidney was ok or not and instead just told me to book an appointment with the doctor in a weeks time.
Is this standard practise after an ultrasound? If everything is ok, which it seemingly was up to the point of examining my kidney, why should I need to see a doctor after?
This has left my very worried and I am now not looking forward to a week of coming up with a number of diseases I might have etc etc.

If anyone has any advice or knows of anything about how normal the subsequent doctor appointments are, it really would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
tommy124
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User
Re: Doctor appointment needed after testicular ultrasound?

The ultrasound tech would get fired, for giving you any indication of anything, good or bad.
It is their job to let the doctor reveal the information, because the doctor went to medical school, not them.
Think of how screwed they would be if the tech told you you were OK, and the doctor saw that you weren't. Or if they told you you had six months to live, and the doctor found nothing.
This has nothing to do with your condition, or non-condition. That's just how ultrasound technicians are trained to work.
Best of luck with it.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
reloaded47
(male)

reloaded47 HB User

That is great thanks.
I guess I am just worried as I don't see the point of referring me back to my doctor unless there is some sort of problem that I havent been told about. Is it normal practice to refer completely healthy patients back to their doctor?
Thanks again,
Dave

Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
tommy124
Senior Veteran
(male)

tommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB Usertommy124 HB User

as normal as, "You're normal. That will be $15."
they often suggest a followup procedure, if there is any doubt.
A case in point from my life, I had an ultrasound. It showed a gray area in the left ureter, where the kidney empties into the bladder. They suggested a CAT scan. It, too, showed a gray area they couldn't account for. I had a cystoscopy, through the penis, into the bladder, and up into the ureter. All was normal, and neither they, nor I, am worried any more.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The technician is just that - a technician, not a doctor. They report findings and the doctor interprets them. I don't want a tech telling me a dx. I want the doctor to so I can ask questions, etc. This is common, every day, legal, standard medical practice. Go to the doctor.

Closed Thread