It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

My son talks to himself

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Loki2266 HB User
My son talks to himself

Iím writing here today to gain some insight and direction because Iím not sure what to do. My son is 16 and has always been a quirky introvert. When he was younger (3-5) he use to rock himself to sleep, so I had him tested for both Aspergers and Autism but both were negative and I was assured he would grow out of it which he did. In grade school (1st-3rd), he really struggled to read so at the encouragement of the school staff I had him tested again for Aspergers and Autism along with other developmental and educational delays, but he tested negative across the board. He eventually grew out of it and now loves to read, but we never did understand why he struggled so we chalked it up to growing pains and left it at that. His Freshman year he asked us to homeschool him and after talking it over with each and doing a great deal of research, my husband and I agreed to homeschool him. Heís never been really social, heís not a jock, he likes school but has never been interested in being popular, and he really seemed to enjoy online learning vs traditional learning because he was able to go at his own pace which meant he finished early. So, onto recent events. For the past 6 months heís been increasingly moody. Heís 16, not being moody would be odd, but itís not the typical hormonal moody itís more like a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde kinda moody. Heís always been respectful, I mean heís challenged us like all teens do, but lately he wonít even answer us when we ask him simple questions like ďAre you hungry?Ē. Itís like he canít hear us or heís so self involved he doesnít hear us. Then out of nowhere heíll have full on conversations with us or drill us about some weird subject to no end (by weird Iím not talking about how do sharks mate or something left field like that, Iím talking about things like can animals really be combined after their dead or if he clones someone can he kill them without it being murder weird....yeah). Now Iíve always encourage my kids to think outside the box and to never just accept something blindly before youíve researched every aspect of it, thereís always 2 sides to a coin. This however, this is just creepy and I hate to say that about my own son it makes me sick, but I feel like Iím falling down a rabbit hole here. As my post topic mentions heís talking to himself, but itís not the out loud kinda talking that you do to organize your thoughts or when youíre hyper focused on something, heís holding full on conversations with himself and heís answering himself in different voices. At first it was every once in a while and I thought ďOk, heís always been quirky and kept to himself, so itís not a big dealĒ, but he no longer wants to leave the house. He says heís depressed because he wants more friends but I kid you not I canít get him to leave the house for anything! Iíve offered him to go shopping for video games, books, clothes, go out to eat, a movie, you name it Iíve offered it but nothing gets him out of the house. Heíll ask us a question and then go into his room and talk to himself for hours until either my husband or I tell him to stop talking to himself. He knows itís ďoddĒ, weíre a very open family and weíve tried over and over again to talk to him about it, but he just looks at us like weíre the weird ones and then goes about his day repeating conversations in his room talking about this and that and answering himself. Sometimes he talks about normal day to day activities, sometimes he even gets into heated arguments with himself. The second we say something he stops, but it always starts up again and Iím gravely concerned at this point. I know a lot of mental illnesses start to present themselves in the mid to late teens, and Iím not afraid to have him see someone be it a doctor and/or psychiatrists, Iím just not sure where to start and Iím looking for some insight. Both my husband and I have parents who had mental illnesses (my husbands mother was Schizophrenic and his dad was a Bipolar 1 and my mother was a Bipolar 1) so weíre not new to the game, but we also know if not approached correctly it can create setbacks. My guess is heís depressed, but the conversations make me wonder if itís more. Iím not sure if itís normal teenage depression and heíll grow out of it, or if itís a medical condition that needs treatment. Anyways, has anyone else experienced this? Am I all alone? Anyone have any insight?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: My son talks to himself

I really dont have allot to say here except you are very brave and strong to be dealing with this all on your own. Unfortunately there is allot of research on mental illness being hereditary and it is quite possible that your son has inherited this from either yours or your husband's side of the family.

It is time to get him to a good therapist who can start to unravel all of this. At his age he isnt likely to just grow out of this without help. He is quickly approaching being a man and not a little boy him through the transition by finding him (and yourself) some help learning how to cope with this.

Can you talk to his primary physician or your own to get some ideas on where to begin?
RRMS- dx 05

Old 03-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi Loki2266,

I would suggest having your son evaluated by a Child/Adolescent Psychiatrist. There are some things you posted that are very concerning.

Take care.
Dx RRMS 1985
5/9/13/ Secondary Progressive without Progression

Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
restid HB User

I am concerned for your son. Hope you get through this. Please consult a psychiatrist fast! Because it's not normal. I don't think that's Aspergers....

Reply Reply