It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Can parxil cause lost of memory?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
    Nayuta
    (male)

Nayuta HB User
    Can parxil cause lost of memory?

My girlfriend was dignosed with panic disorder about one year ago, and since then she started to take the prescribed proxetine HCL 20mg per day. I met her about one year and seven months ago and we are in a long-distance relationship. She is working in China and I'm studying in a U.S college to complete my degree.

I can tell that she was my true love and we have been to so many places and experienced so much events which left us trenmendous memory and an almost inseperable bond. However, I broke up with her yesterday because I found she has completely changed after taking parxil for 1 year. When I asked her whether she can remember any past event happened between us, her only answer is she doesn't know. She really lost the ability to recall and descible her feeling toward me. And I then found she was having an almost-romantic contact with another man. What I can tell is this is not the person I knew.

I think I have known her very well and if she was the person that I have loved for nearly 2 years, she would not do such thing. After reading many research papers and personal experience realting to the side effect of praxil, I'm wondering now whether the change in her personality and feeling can be attributed to the side effect of praxil. Because, from my perspecitive, there is no way she can change so suddenly. But, I also recognized that I can be wrong because I may confuse a relationship problem with a medical problem.

To confirm my hypothesis, I asked her roomate who is her most intimate friend. After I told her this hypothesis, she immediately recall a huge change in her personality,emotions and feelings. In summary,she told me that she cannot think deeply and she has great problem to descibe her own feeling. She also admitted that she has lost memory and emotions that are related to me. Also, she was extremely anxious and frightened to stop the medicine because she found that it will cause her to experience panic attack again. She become cheerful and outgoing. It is also noticed that there is a physicial change. Her skin is easy to turn bruise. Even a little pain or impact can turn a part of her skin to purple.

Our realtionship has overed and I know that she was not the person I loved before. The medicine has permanently changed her. Is there anyone has a similar experience? I really need to know the reason of our break up and accept it whether it is a pure relationship problem or a tragedy caused by medical side effect. I still love the real 'her' that I have loved for 2 years but I would never accepted this new version 'her'.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Re: Can parxil cause lost of memory?

Dear Nayuta,

The reason the relationship is over is that you terminated it. I don't blame you, and it's your choice. Long distance relationships are very difficult to maintain. It's impossible to really be there for someone long distance or to know why they do what they do. And it's even harder to understand another person's motives.

proxetine HCL is Paxil, not Parxil, just so you know.
    Your ex seems confused and unhappy. I don't believe the drug can permanently change a person. But if you don't want to make any adjustment in her regard it seems best to just let it go. There is no way for anyone to guess what is going on with her any more than you already know.

Last edited by yayagirl; 06-05-2018 at 04:27 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to yayagirl For This Useful Post:
    Nayuta (06-05-2018)
    Old 06-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
    Nayuta
    (male)

Nayuta HB User

We may have a different opinion. I know it may seems like that I'm judging the change in her subjectively.But if you have a relative or close friend who is taking anti-depressant
    medicine, I believe you may see it differently. And there is indeed a remarkable research paper support my claim. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2799251/. Thanks for your response

Old 06-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Nayuta,

It says, "fewer than half of the patients in that study (42%) completed both treatment and assessment, making these findings difficult to interpret. Thus, it remains unclear whether neuroticism and extraversion change in response to SSRI treatment of MDD, above and beyond their natural history and the placebo effect.

I do have friends and family that have used or uses anti-depressant medicine. Every person is different. Judging anyone based on a subjective and small test group has nothing to do with loving a specific person. That's all I am saying.

I can't help you justify your choice. It is your own to make and live with. Were I in your situation I might make the same choice. But I would have to admit I just didn't love her as she is.

Last edited by yayagirl; 06-05-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Reply Reply