It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Is this anxiety or OCD? I am doing awful

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
    MBF1216
    (female)

MBF1216 HB User
    Is this anxiety or OCD? I am doing awful

Hi! this is my first post. I have GAD and have for years, very much centered on my health. Worrying about every disease and dying, etc. I usually power through but this latest one is throwing me for a loop. I read a thing about bats last week - how they can bite without you knowing. Well lo and behold, within a week I am terrified I have rabies. BUT my fear doesn't seem that irrational lol. I went for a walk with a friend at dusk in my neighborhood which has tons of bats. During our walk under trees where many bats fly about, I felt something on my head. Not like it crashed or hit but definitely more than a blowing leaf. To the point I bent over shaking my hair out. My friend with me saw nothing. I didn't feel a bite, but don't know what it was. I am freaked it was a bat and I will get rabies and die. Sounds ludicrous, but it's not like I was in a pool in the middle of the day and think that.. doesn't seem that far-fetched. And if a bat is found in a bedroom even if someone didn't feel the bite, they are supposed to get shots. But I guess I would have seen the bat or felt it or a bite. I did rub my head and then touch my nose later so then I am so mad I didn't immediately shower! Instead I possibly rubbed rabid saliva in my nose...

Soooo, that being said, every one of my friends said this is crazy even for me. I don't want to give into my anxiety and get tons of rabies shots in an ER with side effects, etc when it most likely isn't warranted. Had i not seen that article I never would have known. But I am ruminating on being wrong and dying a horrible death. It's 100% fatal once symptoms come.Googling etc. I am not on meds, but have a an appt with a psychiatrist in a few weeks and I have CBT therapist I talk to this week. I assume OCD makes these things seem rational?

Just had to vent---any insight, please chime in! And any meds you think will work. I was on Lexapro in 2011 after my mom died and it was ok but gave me Restless Leg Syndrome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply