It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Anxiety or Temporal Lobe Epilepsy? Deja vu...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2003, 04:40 AM   #1
    GettingWellAgain
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
    Anxiety or Temporal Lobe Epilepsy? Deja vu...

I was diagnosed by one doctor as having an inner ear disorder, yet it is still unclear as to what TYPE of inner ear disorder I have. I don't have an appointment with a neurologist until February, as I have cruddy insurance. I exhibit all the symptoms of an inner ear disorder, yet many of my symptoms also match Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, especially when I have odor hallucinations before an attack of extreme vertigo. I also have suffered from anxiety since the age of 13 (it used to be panic attacks, but now those are rare and now I have anxiety and OCD) and mycurrently, anxiety and depression has worsened because I stopped taking Trazodone, which I now see did help me. Anyway, I'm used to the symptoms of anxiety, but every once in while, I'll have deja vu that will last for the entire day, and dizziness/vertigo usually follows. The deja vu feeling usually has to do with the weather. The weather on a particular day will remind me of the same weather on a particular day a year or several years ago, and it makes me anxious because I almost feel as if the same thing is going to happen. I suppose the deja vu itself makes me anxious because the memories I recall with it aren't necessarily bad memories or anything. I don't know if I'm having anxiety which is causing deja vu, or if the deja vu is just making me anxious because I know it's not normal to have deja vu for an entire day. Combined with my other symptoms, I still think it may be quite possible that I have temporal lobe epilepsy. Any ideas/comments, anyone? Hope that wasn't too confusing, I'm sleepy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
    saxgirl

saxgirl HB User
    Re: Anxiety or Temporal Lobe Epilepsy? Deja vu...

Good question. My shrink thinks I'm having symptoms of TLE but my neuro says I'm not, but he's got me on an anti-seizure drug anyway cuz it works. Among other things (odors, sensory & auditory hallucinations), I get jamais vu (opposite of deja vu...very familiar things suddenly look unfamiliar)...mine only last a minute or so, not all day, but sometimes I get really dazed & confused & get a headache with them.

I had one sleep-deprived EEG with a few spikes, but it was reported as normal? I just had a second sleep-deprived EEG which was normal...but I didn't have the wires up my nose for this one. The first tech said the nose wires were very necessary to detect TLE, so I'm not sure why I didn't have them on the second test. Under the circumstances, I'm not convinced TLE has been ruled out.

Aout the anxiety thing...I've had anxiety issues too, so I don't know, maybe it's just anxiety...but this happens when I'm not anxious. Also I can't take SSRI's cuz they make it worse, & the anti-seizure drug helps the most...so I'm having a hard time believing it's ALL anxiety...who knows.

Last edited by saxgirl; 12-07-2003 at 11:35 AM.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
    lynn1965

lynn1965 HB User
    Re: Anxiety or Temporal Lobe Epilepsy? Deja vu...

My son too experienced deja vu for entire days. This also made him extremely anxious as he thought he was going crazy. His deja vu included events in his day seeming as if they happened before, almost being able to predict what would happen next. He would also see people that he didn't know but feel as if he had met them some other time. Even cars on the highway would look familiar to him. It would happen almost all day for days on end. He would also get headaches, nausea, and rapid heart rate.

Needless to say he didn't tell anybody about this for several months. When he finally came to me I brought him to a psychiatrist who asked about his birth,medical history, etc. To our complete surprise he thought, right off the bat, that my son was experiencing complex partial seizures due to TLE. He was born with the cord wrapped around his neck twice, so the psych. felt that there was possible scarring on the temporal "horn".

After much testing at the neuro. eeg, cat scan, 48 hr. eeg, his tests came out normal, but due to his positive reaction to anti-seizure meds and symptoms, his neuro. is in agreement with the psych. He has been on depakote for about one year now, although he still gets minimal deja vu, it has dramatically decreased the symptoms.

I can see where you thought you had anxiety as we thought maybe my son was having some sort of panic disorder as well. The psych. felt that the anxiety stemmed from worrying about the deja vu episodes.

I hope this helped. It's good to know that there are other people with these symptoms, have found very few people with the deja vu symptoms on this board.
    Take care,
    Lynn

Closed Thread