It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Should I take Buspar/Buspirone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User
    Question Should I take Buspar/Buspirone?

I was just prescribed Buspar/Buspirone for anxiety and I was wondering if I should take it or not?

I got off of Effexor XR 2 years ago and the side effects/withdrawals were unspeakable horror, not to mention 50 lbs. I vowed to never go on another long term drug again but my anxiety has returned and is worse this time around. I have read online about thise stuff but the info is limited because it is a new drug. Effexor was new when I started taking it also and I think that was part of the problem. No one really knew of the effects because when I went off of Effexor, the doctors told me what I was feeling was just me. No one else had reported problems. Then I looked online and their were plenty of people who had reported the same problems i was having.

I was hoping to get some help from some people who have been on it? (Buspar) I am having daily attacks now and need some quick advice before I start.

So, if anyone can help I would appreciate it. That way, I can make an informed decision this time around.

Please help if you can!!!

Aries872

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
    Some12
    Senior Veteran

Some12 HB User
    Re: Should I take Buspar/Buspirone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries872
    I was just prescribed Buspar/Buspirone for anxiety and I was wondering if I should take it or not?

I got off of Effexor XR 2 years ago and the side effects/withdrawals were unspeakable horror, not to mention 50 lbs. I vowed to never go on another long term drug again but my anxiety has returned and is worse this time around. I have read online about thise stuff but the info is limited because it is a new drug. Effexor was new when I started taking it also and I think that was part of the problem. No one really knew of the effects because when I went off of Effexor, the doctors told me what I was feeling was just me. No one else had reported problems. Then I looked online and their were plenty of people who had reported the same problems i was having.

I was hoping to get some help from some people who have been on it? (Buspar) I am having daily attacks now and need some quick advice before I start.

So, if anyone can help I would appreciate it. That way, I can make an informed decision this time around.

Please help if you can!!!

Aries872

Dear Aries872
    I have taken this and on the second day I could not raise my head from pillow until about 4 hours or so after taking the drug. I did not find it to do anything for attacks but I was not going to go through that kind of side effects to find out. It takes about 3 weeks plus to work. I was on it I think in 1998. Buspar has been around for a long time. There is info on it back in the 1980's. The following is some infomation that you may not want to read. Although you are afraid of withdrawals, the attacks are much worse and benzos although additive work. Every mental medication is additive as you have seen with Effexor and your Doctor is full of you know what. Benzos get rid of the attacks and that is the main thing you need. To many people are hung up on addiction and don't realize that panic attack condition is a lot worse then the addiction or side effects of a medication that works. Here is some information on Buspar, remember all medications in the hypnotic and anti-depressants have a list a mile long. Benzos have a lot less side effects if not abused:

Buspirone is a psychotropic drug with anxiolytic properties which belongs chemically to the class of compounds known as the azaspirodecanediones. Buspirone shares some of the properties of the benzodiazepines and the neuroleptics, as well as demonstrating other pharmacological action. Buspirone affects a variety of dopamine mediated biochemical and behavioral events, but is free of cataleptic activity.

Short-term symptomatic relief of excessive anxiety in patients with generalized anxiety disorder (psychoneurotic disorder).

In patients hypersensitive to buspirone HCl. Buspirone is contraindicated in patients with severe hepatic or severe renal impairment.

The occurrence of elevated blood pressure in patients receiving both buspirone and a MAO inhibitor has been reported. Therefore, it is recommended that buspirone should not be used concomitantly with a MAO inhibitor.

Patients who have previously taken benzodiazepines may be less likely to respond to buspirone than those who have not. A drug-free interval is desirable between withdrawal of the benzodiazepine and initiation of buspirone, in order to increase the likelihood of distinguishing between benzodiazepine withdrawal effects and unrelieved anxiety due to possible failure of buspirone in this category of patients.

Until further experience is obtained with buspirone, patients should be warned not to operate an automobile or undertake activities requiring mental alertness, judgment and physical coordination, until they are reasonably certain that buspirone does not affect them adversely.

The most common adverse reactions encountered with buspirone are dizziness, headache, drowsiness and nausea.

Adverse reactions reported include the following:
    Dizziness, headache, drowsiness, lightheadedness, insomnia, fatigue, nervousness, decreased concentration, excitement, depression, confusion, nightmares/vivid dreams, anger/hostility. Infrequently (<1%) depersonalization, noise intolerance, euphoria/feeling high, dissociative reaction, fear, loss of interest, dysphoria, hallucinations, seizures, suicidal thoughts. Rarely, slurred speech, claustrophobia, cold intolerance, stupor, psychosis. Paresthesia, weakness, incoordination, tremor, numbness. Infrequently, muscle cramps and spasms, rigid/stiff muscles, involuntary movements, akathisia, slowed reaction time. Rarely, tingling of limbs, stiff neck, rigidity of jaw, ataxia. Dry mouth, sweating/clamminess, blurred vision, constipation. Infrequently, urinary frequency, retention and burning, flushing. Tachycardia, chest pain, palpitations. Infrequently, syncope, hypotension, hypertension. Rarely, congestive heart failure, cerebrovascular accident, myocardial infarction, cardiomyopathy, bradycardia, EKG change. Nausea, gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea, vomiting. Infrequently, flatulence, increased appetite, anorexia, hypersalivation, rectal bleeding, irritable colon. Rarely, burning tongue. Nasal congestion. Infrequently, shortness of breath, chest congestion, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation. Rarely, epistaxis. Infrequently, decreased and increased libido, weight gain, weight loss, menstrual irregularity/breakthrough bleeding. Rarely, delayed ejaculation, impotence, galactorrhea, amenorrhea, thyroid abnormality. Skin rash, sore throat. Infrequently, edema/facial edema, pruritus, chills/fever. Rarely, photophobia, erythema, flu-like symptoms. Infrequently, increases in liver enzymes. Rarely, eosinophilia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia. Tinnitus, muscle aches/pains. Infrequently, redness/itching of eyes, altered taste/smell, roaring sensation in head, malaise, easy bruising, dry skin, arthralgia, blisters, hair loss. Rarely, acne, thinning of nails, sore eyes, inner ear abnormality, pressure on eyes, nocturia, enuresis, hiccups, voice loss, alcohol abuse.

Additional reports have included rare occurrences of allergic reaction, cogwheel rigidity, dystonic reaction, ecchymosis, emotional lability and tunnel vision. Because of the uncontrolled nature of these spontaneous reports, a causal relationship to buspirone treatment has not been determined.

There is no specific antidote for buspirone. Management should, therefore, be symptomatic and supportive. Any patient suspected of having taken an overdose should be admitted to a hospital as soon as possible, and the stomach emptied by gastric lavage.

Sincerely, just letting you know what you may be getting into. The worst thing you can get yourself into is a medication preference Doctor. They think that all their patients should be on the drugs of their choice even if not appropriate for the symptoms, and that comes from a very bad exprience and not just with buspar.

Sincerely,

Sickman

Old 01-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

Thank you. I do not want to get into that again. My doctor said he doesn't prescribe xanax or any other addictive drug. WoW, Don't they know that these other drugs (effexor, paxil etc..) are much worse.

I have taken xanax, when i was withdrawing from the effexor, and I stopped it with no problem after two weeks.

I told my doctor that i wanted something that i could take when my attacks happen, not long term. He gave me the Buspar. I guess I will look for another doctor.

Thank you so much for the heads up.

Sincerely,
    Aries872

Old 01-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to aries, if you are having panic attacks then post at the panic disorders board, buspar generally isnt much good for panic attacks, valium and an antidepressant med are better, maybe you need a new doc

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
    lemonpepper
    (female)

lemonpepper HB User

I have been taking 15 mg of Buspar along with Trazadone at night to help me sleep. After only 10 days my anxiety has decreased and my agoraphobia seems to be fading. No side effects yet. I also have taken Prozac for 3 yrs. So far, I am feeling better than I have in years. But drugs affect us all so differently- so far I am loving it and very impressed with my improvement in such a short period of time. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
    lemonpepper
    (female)

lemonpepper HB User

I have been taking 15 mg of Buspar along with Trazadone at night to help me sleep. After only 10 days my anxiety has decreased and my agoraphobia seems to be fading. No side effects yet. I also have taken Prozac for 3 yrs. So far, I am feeling better than I have in years. But drugs affect us all so differently- so far I am loving it and very impressed with my improvement in such a short period of time. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
    lemonpepper
    (female)

lemonpepper HB User

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 03-20-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: the original thread is 4 years old

Closed Thread