It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Panic/Anxiety Attack Recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2004, 03:34 AM   #1
    7red7

7red7 HB User
    Panic/Anxiety Attack Recovery

Hello all

Thanks to my brother for showing me this site...I'm hoping some of you guys and gals out there might be able to give me some advice and words of wisdom on my condition...

About two weeks ago, I had what was diagnosed as a panic/anxiety attack...I was at work and was taken to the ER for what I thought was a heart attack...Given my family history of heart disease I never gave it a second thought about my being so young to actually be having one...So I went with it, and arrived at the ER only to be told that my EKG they ran on me was fine and my heart looked completely normal...I was told that what I had was a panic atack, and I was given Ativan to relieve my stress and calm me down and settle my breathing...

Since then, I've been having chest pains almost every day, tingling in my shoulder blade, and a lump in my throat that won't seem to go away...I've seen my doctor about everything three times since the attack now and each time he says it's normal to feel these things and that in time with the meds he's given me, and my retraining of my brain to not obsess and worry about things will really help me out...

As of now, I'm currently taking Wellbutrin XL once a day...I'm also taking Altace for Hypertension high blood pressure...I also had my first visit with a therapist this afternoon and am really happy it went well

Heres my questions though...First of all, in some of your cases, did you also have chest pains, a lump in the throat??? I'm also short of breath at times, is this normal??? Anything else you had that I might aqquire and not need to freak out over??? Also how long is one usually on meds??? The reason I ask is because I hate to take medicine especialy meds like these...I'm trying to get it through to my doctor that I only have a white coat hypertension, but he won't listen to reason and says the blood pressure is due to my weight and my stress...My mother has a digital BP machine she uses daily here at home and I used it and monitored my BP for a week and it was always normal here at home, but is always somewhere like 160/90 when I see the doctor...The truth is, I've always stressed out a bit, but never in my life had a panic attack...I've heard some horror stories about panic attacks ruining people's lives, and I definately don't want to let this happen to me...

Is there any advice you guys can give me in helping me cope with this new condition, or help me to maybe get over it??? How about the meds, are they hard to get off of??? Any withdrawl periods??? My doctor also wrote me a prescription for Xanax in the event I have another severe attack I can take it and avoid the ER again...I haven't filled the prescription and don't plan to either because I know Xanax is a seriously hard drug to kick once it's taken...Not only that, but while I'm goig through all of this, I still have to go to work everyday, so taking Xanax would not be in my favor IMHO...

Thanks!!!

DAN

Last edited by 7red7; 02-20-2004 at 03:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Re: Panic/Anxiety Attack Recovery

Hi, post at the panic disorders board, panic attacks and anxiety are common, the pains are probably from anxiety and fear of another panic attack

your BP med , an ACE inhibitor,
    should be swapped for a beta blocker which will also calm your body, discuss this with a pharmacist

ativan and xanax are both useful valium type meds and not at all addictive if taken sensibly, many panic attack sufferers rely on them, carry a few tablets of either and disolve 1 or more under the tongue if a panic attack starts, a large dose may be needed to stop a severe panic attack, theres no need to go to the ER, panic attacks will never hurt you

white coat phobia is very common and a good doc will allow for it, some ativan or xanax before seeing doc or doing anything stressful or feared will help calm you

wellbutrin is a med that reduces or stops panic attacks for some but not all, it takes some weeks to be effective, early side effects can be a nuisance but are reduced by xanax, take xanax with the wellbutrin, they both go well together

feeling a lump in throat when none is there is a common anxiety problem, get doc to make sure there is no actual lump, xanax and a beta blocker will reduce this problem

get books on recovery from agoraphobia and panic disorder, learn to relax and reduce your stress, take the meds, exercise more and stay with us

Old 02-20-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
    billy7772
    Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
    Re: Panic/Anxiety Attack Recovery

Hi 7red7-
    Welcome to the boards. Those are all typical symptoms for panic attacks. I was on meds for over ten years which helped but didn't eliminate all of my panic attacks. The answer for me was Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and it cured me and got me off meds in a remarkably short period of time. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety, panic and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer CBT programs for little or no charge. The key is the effort you put in!!!! Most people that apply themselves to CBT are panic free within as little as 12-weeks and will have the tools necessary to keep them away forever if you incorporate them into your daily life.

Take care!

Billy

Closed Thread