It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• need info on Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #1
    nuzzles

nuzzles HB User
    need info on Lexapro

Hi,
    I haven't been here for ages it seems! I used to come here for my depression problems & I have to saythat I'm doing better. Well, I guess meds (Celexa & Wellbutrin do help )
    Anyway, this is about my Dad. He was recently put on Lexapro for what his dr. seems to think is depression. He's 81 & at his first visit, the dr. said he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's. After a month, for a follow up exam, I asked the dr. if he could explain my Dad's 'condition'. He (dr.) said me didn't have AD, but was in depression. ??????? I am trying to convince Dad to go to another dr., but so far no good. He is confused, repeats constantly, forgets everything, but remembers the past well. Two weeks ago, while out with my Mom, he went UP the exit ramp of a highway. Thank God there was a policeman there & stopped him. He didn't pull his license, but I wish he had.
    Now, the question is if anyone konows if there is a comparable drug to Lexapro. I was at their house yesterday & he needed to fill his prescription for the Lexapro. The dr. had fiven him a month's worth of samples. He came back all in a huff about the pills costing $70. I asked if he showed his ins. card. He said no & said he didn't 'need' these pills. Then he said he doesn't take pills, & that when he filled prescriptions (my Mom's) they only cost either $3 or $7. He thought these pills were for her. Confused????? You should have been there. It got alot worse & I really got upset with him because he wanted to stop the pills all together, but the next sentence was that he didn't take pills. He said, 4 times, that he didn't know how much these pills cost, & I told him 4 times how much they were. I called their ins. co. & I was told that the pills should be $35 because there is no generic brand. So, I took the prescription back & talked with the pharmacist & he explained that my dad did show the card, but there was some mix up. I ordered them & will go get them later & bring them to him.
    I will be calling his dr. tomorrow & I don't think he will be too happy after he talks to me. Oh yes, I also asked this dr. if my Dad could be seen by a geriatric physician or psychologist. He said "There is no such thing." It's a good thing that I'm on meds, because I'd have to go on some with all of this going on. Mom was in the hospital in Dec. for arrythmia, conjestive heart failure, enlarged heart & 2 very bad pulmonary valves. No history in family!!! I am also an only child.
    You know the saying "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade"? I can't find a container big enough for all the lemon juice I have!!
    Any input would be really appreciated.
    Have a wonderful Sunday,
    Clara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 PM   #2
    Marimac
    Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
    Re: need info on Lexapro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuzzles
    Hi,
    I haven't been here for ages it seems! I used to come here for my depression problems & I have to saythat I'm doing better. Well, I guess meds (Celexa & Wellbutrin do help )
    Anyway, this is about my Dad. He was recently put on Lexapro for what his dr. seems to think is depression. He's 81 & at his first visit, the dr. said he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's. After a month, for a follow up exam, I asked the dr. if he could explain my Dad's 'condition'. He (dr.) said me didn't have AD, but was in depression. ??????? I am trying to convince Dad to go to another dr., but so far no good. He is confused, repeats constantly, forgets everything, but remembers the past well. Two weeks ago, while out with my Mom, he went UP the exit ramp of a highway. Thank God there was a policeman there & stopped him. He didn't pull his license, but I wish he had.
    Now, the question is if anyone konows if there is a comparable drug to Lexapro. I was at their house yesterday & he needed to fill his prescription for the Lexapro. The dr. had fiven him a month's worth of samples. He came back all in a huff about the pills costing $70. I asked if he showed his ins. card. He said no & said he didn't 'need' these pills. Then he said he doesn't take pills, & that when he filled prescriptions (my Mom's) they only cost either $3 or $7. He thought these pills were for her. Confused????? You should have been there. It got alot worse & I really got upset with him because he wanted to stop the pills all together, but the next sentence was that he didn't take pills. He said, 4 times, that he didn't know how much these pills cost, & I told him 4 times how much they were. I called their ins. co. & I was told that the pills should be $35 because there is no generic brand. So, I took the prescription back & talked with the pharmacist & he explained that my dad did show the card, but there was some mix up. I ordered them & will go get them later & bring them to him.
    I will be calling his dr. tomorrow & I don't think he will be too happy after he talks to me. Oh yes, I also asked this dr. if my Dad could be seen by a geriatric physician or psychologist. He said "There is no such thing." It's a good thing that I'm on meds, because I'd have to go on some with all of this going on. Mom was in the hospital in Dec. for arrythmia, conjestive heart failure, enlarged heart & 2 very bad pulmonary valves. No history in family!!! I am also an only child.
    You know the saying "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade"? I can't find a container big enough for all the lemon juice I have!!
    Any input would be really appreciated.
    Have a wonderful Sunday,
    Clara
    It would be a good thing for you to go with your father to the doctor and explain your dads confusion. Lexapro is a strange drug and effects people differently. I have seen a perfectly normal person be flipped into a manic attack by this Lexapro. It is a drug that causes a lot of agitation for some people and that alone can cause confusion. If your dad is elderly a mild anti-depressant like Elavil might work best and is way cheaper than Lexapro.

Old 03-14-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
    nuzzles

nuzzles HB User

Thank you so much for answering, Marimac. I should have said that my Dad has always been a very nervous character. My Mom & I found that on Lexapro, he became [U]much calmer! He seems to be on an even keel right now. Before, he was at my Mom all the time. For isnstance, when she came home from the hospital, all he did was tell her she was "faking it", that he wants to go to Florida, (they've been there 5 times & bought & sold 5 times). It's way too long a story to go into here, but then he'd tell her they should get a divorce. Etc., etc. I will speak to the dr. tomorrow & explain what is going on. I have also joined a local chapter to Alzheimer's Support. I feel for my Mom, because it's very tireing to keep repeating things to him & she doesn't need it. I've told her she can come & live with us anytime, but she is a saint & all she thinks about is his well being.
    Thank you so much again. It kind of feels a bit better when you get to 'vent'.
    (((HUGS))),
    Clara

Old 03-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
    gossgal

gossgal HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nuzzles
    Thank you so much for answering, Marimac. I should have said that my Dad has always been a very nervous character. My Mom & I found that on Lexapro, he became [U]much calmer! He seems to be on an even keel right now. Before, he was at my Mom all the time. For isnstance, when she came home from the hospital, all he did was tell her she was "faking it", that he wants to go to Florida, (they've been there 5 times & bought & sold 5 times). It's way too long a story to go into here, but then he'd tell her they should get a divorce. Etc., etc. I will speak to the dr. tomorrow & explain what is going on. I have also joined a local chapter to Alzheimer's Support. I feel for my Mom, because it's very tireing to keep repeating things to him & she doesn't need it. I've told her she can come & live with us anytime, but she is a saint & all she thinks about is his well being.
    Thank you so much again. It kind of feels a bit better when you get to 'vent'.
    (((HUGS))),
    Clara

Clara.. i have been in the health field for 8 years and have seen AD more than i ever would want to see.It is a very painful disease for family and patient. There ARE doctors who specialize in geriatrics. It may take some investigating but it def sounds worth your while. also try your local hospital as a resource... alot of hospitals now have memory clinics to help with AD and dementia.I am not a doctor but it sounds like a def case of AD. Honestly i have taken care of over 10 people in their homes and your case sounds classic.As for the lexapro i also am on it. It is expensive but worth it if it works.Most people with AD need a relaxing/antidepressent pill for agitation,( I can only imagine how horriable they feel inside!!!)I applaude you for seeking help thru the local chapter.Please keep looking and keep me posted!..hugs... gossgal

Closed Thread