It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• whats going on?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-01-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
    ksr20

ksr20 HB User
    whats going on?

i had a panic attack a few weeks ago and i thought i was going crazy so i started to look things up on the internet. i looked up schizophrenia and im totally convinved thats was it is, i dont see or hear things or anything like that. i have feelings of unreality, but im competly aware of whats real and whats not. i dont know if its from anxiety or what. i also saw that deja vu is a symptoms so now i have it 24/7. i dont know if its really happening or if im just talking myself into it. i did this like 5 years ago with cancer, i would obbsess over it and look stuff up and convince myself i had it. this all seems to happen when i get depressed. anyone have anyclue whats wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
    Infowanter

Infowanter HB User
    Re: whats going on?

anxiety and depression can cause unwanted thoughts along with some obsessive compulsive behavior or thoughts... (which is what the cancer thing was).
    Id go see a therapist. It sounds to me like depression or anxiety.
    Many people with this dont even know they have it cuz they will deny it or ignore it or push it to the back of their head.
    A doctor is the best way to find out.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User

Definately sounds like anxiety. I had something very similar happen to me. I started to have very bad anxiety and even panic attacks. One day at work I had deja vu and I looked it up online just out of curiosity. I found an article about shizophrenia that mentioned deja vu. I freaked out! I really thought I was going crazy and had schizophrenia. I talked to my therapist about it and she said that deja vu and schizophrenia are not related in any way, and everyone experiences deja vu. In fact, my sister (who has very bad anxiety and OCD) says that when her anxeity was at it's peak and she was basically having a panic attack 24/7, she experienced deja vu that entire time (which was about 3 or 4 years!).
    You really have nothing to worry about. Easier said than done, I know. Now I am meds and my anxiety is soooo much better! I am still a little nervous at times about having schizophrenia or another serious mental illness, but it is controlable and I am able to lead a normal healthy life. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
    elatedgiraffe
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

elatedgiraffe HB User

It is pretty common when suffering from severe anxiety/panic that one thinks they are going crazy, in this case thinking they have schizophrenia. I have anxiety problems and I too, have gone through exactly what you are experiencing. This started 6 years ago and I never was diagnosed with anything worse than generalized anxiety disorder/depression/panic attacks. So try and relax and don't worry..you don't have schizophrenia.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:10 AM   #5
    tibbir

tibbir HB User

I have to put my 2 cents in here and agree with everyone else who's said that it doesn't sound like you have schizophrenia. I've got a pretty bad case of manic-depression that's treated by meds now but in the process of getting better I was around people with schizophrenia. Their hallmark symptoms are psychosis in which they see things that aren't there and hear voices. If they're seriously ill they have no ability to tell what's real or not.

I've had severe anxiety/panic attacks and they can make you feel like you're going crazy. I haven't had anything like the deja vu you're describing - it sounds wild.

Anyway, panic attacks a very debilitating but they're also getting more and more treatable with today's medicines. Check it out with a psychiatrist and see if you can't get some help.

Closed Thread