It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Effexor XR and Memory Loss/Forgetfulness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
    George69

George69 HB User
    Question Effexor XR and Memory Loss/Forgetfulness

Does effexor XR cause memory loss? My husband has been on it a little over a year and lately is so forgetful it is scaring me. He forgets things he has even just done!...Also,his dad has alzheimer's disease so I am freaking out...can it be the effexor xr? He is 40 years old and yes, alzheimer's disease can even start in your 30's .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
    espresso
    (female)

espresso HB User
    Re: Effexor XR and Memory Loss/Forgetfulness

Hello,
    I've been on Effexor for a few months (though not as long as your husband) and I haven't experienced an increase in forgetfulness. I don't believe that it is mentioned on the manufacturer's list of side effects, either. However, every drug will effect every person differently.

Could it possibly be that since he's been taking medication, his depression has subsided, and he's become more involved with people and activities in his life? When my depression was at its worst, I didn't want to do *anything.* Now that I feel better I have more on my plate, which greatly increases my chances of forgetting something.

Forgetfulness can also be a symptom of other mental illnesses than Alzheimers, like ADHD. Of course its unlikely he would develop ADHD at 40. It may be a good idea to take up the question with his doctor. Best of luck!

Espresso

Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
    russ752
    (male)

russ752 HB User

Hi ,

I have been on effexor for the last 2 months and yes, one of the side effects has been memory loss along with jumbled thought patterns. The problem is becomming quite severe with me forgetting things i have just done and spending a good part of the day searching for things I have misplaced. My doctor has also said that this is not a known side effect

Old 06-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
    rachelh69

rachelh69 HB User

I didn't notice any memory loss but wasn't on the effexor long enough. MY DR gave it to me for OCD and anxiety. I'm sure there are alot of side effects that aren't listed. Aside from the nausea and dry mouth which are listed side effects, I felt like I had the flu and was on valium(there is no other way to describe it), not to mention odd side effects like sore throat which is definitely not a listed side effect. And after every dose I got a little bit worse. And agitated when it started to wear off. I couldn't take it.
    I would talk to the DR about the memory loss though.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
    ajresovsky
    (male)

ajresovsky HB User

I was on it for eleven months-never effected my memory!
    Augut

Closed Thread