It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• drug induced psychosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
    Free2BeFussy
    (female)

Free2BeFussy HB User
    Unhappy drug induced psychosis?

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this board so I will give a little background before I ask a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have a sixteen year old son that has been Baker Acted by his psycotherapist. I have a had a time with him for a couple of years but this last year it has all been downhill. I found hard liquer in his room, he was suspended from school for being drunk at a football game, and has been brought home at 130 in the morning by police with alcohol in hand. He smokes, dips, drinks alot and now has admitted to doing many drugs, including, pot, prescription pills - roxicet-xanex, coke a few times. I sent him to live with his father, to remove him from the influences of his drug friends, and now he has lost it. He had a complete breakdown, and almost acts like a five year old. He has been in a crisis center for children going on the 5th day now, and there is no improvement. He is paranoid, not cohesive very much, anxious, and sad, breaks down in sobbing tears in between thoughts.

He is now on 2.5 mg of respidal daily, and had to be given atavan on Sat. for a severe episode.

My questions now - When can I expect to see some improvement?
    Why does this happen?
    Can these episodes of pschosis be permanent?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    His history and family history of mental illness is ABSOLUTELY NONE.

Thanks, Free2befussy

The following user gives a hug of support to Free2BeFussy:
    soccar mom (10-26-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
    sals05
    (female)

sals05 HB User
    Re: drug induced psychosis?

I see this was posted a couple of weeks ago. How is your son doing now, if I may ask?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

I'd also would like to know how you and your son is doing.

But to answer your questions, Drug Induced Psychosis is really a person-to-person experince. Some people have psychosis for a couple of months and subside symptoms after the drugs and alcohol stop. Others forever have either sporatic or chronic psychosis. Is it possible that your son has had psychosis symptoms, in which reulted in his drug behavior instead of the other way around? Mental Illness can strike a lot of people without a strong genetic factor. Genetics only play a single roll in mental illness.

It's good that your son is getting help and treatment that he needs. Medication can help lower symptoms and inpatient Therapy can teach him how to cope and survive without dugs or alcohol and with his present difficulties.

It's always a good thing to keep positive, but as well, you have to consider all outcomes. He may be in his psychosis for a long time, or it may be for weeks to months. You can hope for his recovery or lessened symptoms, but try not to completely expect your son to "just get over" this. Even if the psychosis lasts for a short while, he still may need counseling or medication to help with his thoughts, drug use and coping situations.

My best of luck to you, Free. For you and your son.

SGH

Old 03-01-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Free2BeFussy
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this board so I will give a little background before I ask a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have a sixteen year old son that has been Baker Acted by his psycotherapist. I have a had a time with him for a couple of years but this last year it has all been downhill. I found hard liquer in his room, he was suspended from school for being drunk at a football game, and has been brought home at 130 in the morning by police with alcohol in hand. He smokes, dips, drinks alot and now has admitted to doing many drugs, including, pot, prescription pills - roxicet-xanex, coke a few times. I sent him to live with his father, to remove him from the influences of his drug friends, and now he has lost it. He had a complete breakdown, and almost acts like a five year old. He has been in a crisis center for children going on the 5th day now, and there is no improvement. He is paranoid, not cohesive very much, anxious, and sad, breaks down in sobbing tears in between thoughts.

He is now on 2.5 mg of respidal daily, and had to be given atavan on Sat. for a severe episode.

My questions now - When can I expect to see some improvement?
    Why does this happen?
    Can these episodes of pschosis be permanent?
    Any info would be appreciated.
    His history and family history of mental illness is ABSOLUTELY NONE.

Thanks, Free2befussy
    Chances are he is going thru withdrawal from heavy drug and alcohol use. This is a long process sometimes. They usually calm patients down with depressants like Risperdal and Ativan but those drug are also downers/depressantsand have their own set of problems too. But sometimes that's all they can do at the time to ease the patient's symptoms of withdrawal. After actual withdrawal,(the period of time the drug/alcohol takes to leave the body), there is also a recovery time in which various withdrawaol like symptoms can still linger for awhile.

If they don't fill him too full of drugs(I don't think 2.5 mg. is alot of Risperdal) I would think he might stablize soon but then it's important once he's better to start a very slow weaning off the meds eventually. Alot of people recover from using drugs, and he's young so he has a good chance of recovery from any damage. But of course, that would mean he'd need to have a very clean life (no alcohol, drugs or cigarettes), eat right and exercise to give his body and brain the tools to recover completely. Without that, he could fall right back into mental problems that drugs cause.

He might need some serious counseling to find out why he feels he must have drugs and alcohol in his life(problems, peer pressure, no direction in life, other feelings/issues) so he can learn a better way of caring for himself (hopefully he'll want to). Good luck I hope he gets better...

Last edited by Jennita; 03-01-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
    bluebellezza
    (female)

bluebellezza HB User

If there is a genetic predisposition to mental health issues, a person who uses drugs can "Turn on" a gene for mental illness. Especially in the case of schizophrenia, even one time of using drugs can cause a sort of drug induced psychosis. Even though your family doesnt have a history of mental illnesses, You might also consider the possibility that your family does have a history of mental health illnesses that were never diagnosed..... but even if thats not the case heavy and frequent drug use can mutate genes causing mental illness. I learned all this in a criminal justice class called drug abuse and criminal behavior.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:20 PM   #6
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Let me tell you that mixing xanax and alcohol can do this. I know of a 20 yrd old who took this combination for awhile, was addicted to the xanax just after 2 weeks...because of the high dose he was taking to get "High" and he is now to the point of wearing diapers and using a walker to walk.............he will never recover......brain damage. these kids don't realize what they're doing...and it can be a lifetime thing. We need more eduction for these kids on thee drug issue their generation is facing.........you'd be surprised how many are in your sons same position.

Closed Thread