It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Lamictal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
    Iloveturtles
    (female)

Iloveturtles HB User
    Lamictal

I have had depression for years and I have been on Prozac, Lexapro, Celaxa, Paxil, Effexor, Zoloft and many more. Well, recently, my doctor decided to take me off of Zoloft and put me on Lamictal, which I guess is a different drug family. He is thinking, I guess, that I may have Bipolar 2, which I don't know where that came from...I also have OCD and I don't know if this will help take care of that either because lately I have had these random obsessive thoughts in my head that I think Zoloft use to control. I have been so irritable and he keeps increasing my dosage and tells me to "hang in there" and just recently, has me increasing my dosage to 300 mg!! My gut tells me I should go back to Zoloft because it helped much better compared to Lamictal. I don't know what to do

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: Lamictal

Wow. Creepy, but I have severe OCD, I used to take Zoloft and now I take Lamictal! lol! Actually, I'm still on an SSRI (Prozac) and I take Klonopin once in awhile for my extreme panic attacks, the ones that are far more intense than the ones I usually get daily. Anyway, the reason that I started Lamictal this past fall was because of my mood swings (Lamictal's a mood stabilizer) and because my psychiatrist thought that it would help with my racing thoughs (due to obsessions rather than mania). Well, whatever I needed it for, the Lamictal has helped me tremendously. I feel so much more at peace with it. A month ago, I was diagnosed with Asperger's, and I truly think that the Lamictal helps me with my outbursts that are most always due to sensory overload. 300 mg of Lamictal is fairly high; I'm only on 100. I've heard of people who have clearly defined bipolar II that are on 300 mg of Lamictal and THEY think it's too much. If you don't think it's working, you should definitely talk to your doctor about it, especially why he thinks you have bipolar II in the first place since you obviously don't think it's a correct diagnosis. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 03-19-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
    Iloveturtles
    (female)

Iloveturtles HB User

Hi GatsbyLuvr1920,

Thank you so much for responding to my post

Today, I slept a lot just so I didn't have to deal with my symptoms and I was so emotional. I asked my BF if he thought I was better on Zoloft and he said he didn't know and I almost cried since he wouldn't give me an answer. I am going to call the doctor who prescribed this to me tomorrow and ask about weening off of Lamictal and getting back on Zoloft since Lamictal isn't working for me (I have been on it for not quite a couple months now) or see about adding Zoloft. It is almost like I am taking a placebo or something I actually am seeing this doc for an ED and also depression, etc. I think I might call my primary phys. for a second opinion, especially since my weekend was crummy. What do you think? I know second opinions are good, but I just want to do what is right.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #4
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Well, if you have an eating disorder, it sounds as if your plan to get back on the Zoloft is a good choice. Eating disorders have a high comorbidity rate with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, since they are now considered to be a type of Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum Disorder (OCSD). Really, I'm not surprised that you have OCD in addition to your eating disorder since eating disorders are almost always an extension of obsessive-compulsive traits, especially perfectionism. A second opinion sounds like the best choice. Write back soon!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread