It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• is this being antisocial?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
    MendoMan101
    Inactive
    (male)

MendoMan101 HB User
    is this being antisocial?

Im a 17 year old guy in highschool and im sort of confused. I Dont seek conversation with other people. It is not because i am afraid of what people think of me, it is simply because im not inerested in what others are saying. I am a fairly self confident person, I beleive that i can accomplish any task as well as any body else if you let my take the time to figure it out, Im not afraid to look stupid, and if it comes down to it i would fight anyone.
    I find myself feeling sort of alone in the world and when i go join a group of freinds i can participate in conversations but they seem simply pointless and i feel no different than if i was sitting at a bench by myself. I dont activly seek out conversations with people, actualy i dont really confront many people because my view is that they are living their life and im living mine. If a person starts a conversation with me I respond and i can follow exactly what they are saying and give advice etc, im fairly smart and talking is not a difficulty for me at all. If somebody is having a difficulty doing something i like trying to teach them what i know about it and give tips on how to improve themselves.

am i antisocial?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
    Re: is this being antisocial?

Hey Mendo.

It's an odd post considering the word "antisocial". Antisocial is actually considered a condition where a person "disregards and violates the rights of others"; and actually has nothing to do with preffering time alone.

What you describe purely sounds like a personality style. If you are content with how you deal with friends and the people around you, labeling yourself doesn't seem to be important.

On the other hand, if this is a result of depression, anxiety or stress, talking to a counselor might be a good idea.

The way you prefer to be alone and find socializing un interesting or un important to you, it can be considered as simple as a "schizoid personality style". There is actually a disorder called "Schizoid Personality Disorder", but again, if you are fine and your personality style isn't causing distress, labeling yourself may cause more problems than it is worth.

So would I say that you are "schizoid" or "antisocial"? Not really. I think you have a personality of a recluse and just enjoy solitary activities over making conversation. But it is up to you whether you want to change or diagnose yourself.

SGH

Old 03-27-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
    thallium
    (female)

thallium HB User

I was like that for a while, but as a girl I tend to find myself becoming oddly more socially inclined around that time of the month, I guess female hormones make people sociable because they are supposed to provide social cohesion (apparantly a tribe of monkeys was experiemented on and they found that removing the females totally ruined social cohesion).

The problem with being asocial (thats the correct term) is that sometimes other people are required for something or other (to find out what time an assignments due, to call an ambulance when you have broken your leg falling off a chair, to give advice etc) and you find that - there is no-one who can do those things for you.
    I resented a lot that I was expected to do alone all what everyone else had help from their freinds to do (remeber stuff, do work, get to lectures on time blah blah etc).

If you can deal with those limitations then its all good. If not try making one or two casual freinds (I have a best freind I only speak to once a month and it works out great).

Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
    DPFan4Ever
    (male)

DPFan4Ever HB User

I can relate to you, Mendo. I am like that, too. Every time I try to get involved with my peers I always feel left out in the group and the conversation.

I'm better off alone, too.

Last edited by DPFan4Ever; 04-12-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
    cinemachick
    Veteran
    (female)

cinemachick HB User

Do you feel as if you have limited emotions? If so, what you're saying sounds more like schizoid. Antisocial people are conartists and criminals.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
    (male)

111111 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cinemachick
    Do you feel as if you have limited emotions? If so, what you're saying sounds more like schizoid. Antisocial people are conartists and criminals.
    What the heck is that supposed to mean? Some people are anitsocial by choice while others are antisocial because they lack self esteem and feel really bad about who they are and feel completely overwhelmed in social situations. Are you suggesting these people are conartists because they want to hide their inner fear in hopes of not trying to make themselves look like complete fools in front of others?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:33 AM   #7
    SuchGreatHeight
    Veteran
    (female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 111111
    What the heck is that supposed to mean? Some people are anitsocial by choice while others are antisocial because they lack self esteem and feel really bad about who they are and feel completely overwhelmed in social situations. Are you suggesting these people are conartists because they want to hide their inner fear in hopes of not trying to make themselves look like complete fools in front of others?
    Actually, she is prefering to the termonology of "Antisocial" (as in Antisocial Personality Disorder) and "Schizoid". In previous posts people, including I, have already stated the difference between the word "antisocial" and "asocial".

SGH

Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I think there is some confusion between the terms antisocial, otherwise known as APD, anti-social personality disorder (which also means sociopath), and AVOIDANT personality disorder, where the person avoids people and situations because they are uncomfortable and feel inferior. The poster says she has confidence, so I'm thinking she doesn't have avoidant personalty disorder.....maybe like some of the others said, schizoid personality disorder.....maybe.....does any of the other criteria fit?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
    cinemachick
    Veteran
    (female)

cinemachick HB User

111111, antisocial by definition in the psychiatric world describes a person who disregards laws and does criminal acts. Antisocial DOES NOT mean a person who is shy or withdrawn.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
    strongernow
    Inactive
    (male)

strongernow HB User

I would call that introverted. Antisocial means you go out of your way to destroy or ruin people. Asocial means you hide away in your room and have no interest in friendships, family or dating.

Closed Thread