It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

Mental Health issues caused by antibiotic

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
flowerchild2
(female)

flowerchild2 HB User
Mental Health issues caused by antibiotic

I was on an antibiotic (Keflex) for an infected tooth and at about the same time I had a job interview and job offer.

I took the job and immediately went into a state of almost constant panic attacks resulting in a break down 4 weeks later.

In retrospect, and after talking to a therapist, psychiatrist, my spouse and several friends, I "was not in my right mind" and doing other strange things while on the medication for the infection, including weird conversations, being unusually aggressive, dehydration, sleep disorders, and a hallucination one night which I totally forgot about until I looked up side effects of Keflex. By themselves, these didn't seem like a big deal but when added up it was a nightmare.

The job was/is totally wrong for me, not something I enjoy doing, but I quit my other job and now am on medication for depression and anxiety and on sick leave because I am unable to work at all - weak, exhausted, forgetful, lack of concentration and focus. I sometimes feel like I had a stroke but I've been assured it's altered brain chemistry, first from the "harmless" antibiotic and then from the anxiety attacks.

I don't know if I will have a job when I run out of sick leave which adds to my anxiety levels, of course.

Has anyone else ever experienced those kinds of side effects from antibiotics? It was bad timing that I had a jpb offer when I was in no condition to make decisions about my life. Just wanted to share my experience of mental health issues that presented as situational but which were actually also organic in nature.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread