It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Hearing Voices

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
    Illuminary
    (male)

Illuminary HB User
    Hearing Voices

I hope someone can help me understand something that I experiance daily.

When its quiet I hear voices in my mind. More loudly when I turn on the water to wash my hands or when a fan is running, and always when I am alone. I have noticed this for years, but as of late these random phrases have grown louder within.

The voices are random voices, such as of a man, woman or child and even a family member. The voices never talk to me, they only say random things, such as, "I need a smoke" - "I'm going fishing" or "Strike Three! He's outta there!" I liken them to one sitting on the couch with a remote flipping through the stations on the TV, chaging the channel every three seconds. Again I cannot engage in conversation with these voices anymore than I could with the TV.

The voices come and go constantly and rapidly. They change to something new every few seconds. At times (moreso when tired) I see rapid images flash in the back of my mind that go with the voices, but those only last a moment too. I don't mind channel surfing but I don't wish to do so 24/7 in my mind.

I have been more stressed lately than I have in sometime. Perhaps that plays a major role. One Doctor mentioned Radio signals from fillings, but I hear the voices of family members saying random things such as, "Man, its cold outside!" So its not that. Some have even mention telepathy and psychic power, but I think thats silly. I would be more inclined to agree with the thought of an over active imagination, as I dream alot when sleeping.
    I also looked up the symptoms of Schizophernia and it doesnt seem to be that as the voices do not talk to me or engage in conversation, plus I do not have any other major symptoms of that disorder.

At times its disturbing as I fear I may become consumed by these constant inner ramblings and lose my identity. I hope someone can help shed light on this ***arre mystery.

Thanks, Jeremy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
    toddb
    (male)

toddb HB User
    Re: Hearing Voices

i'm very interested in the way you "hear" these voices. its very strange to me. if its an actual sound in your mind. if so, how can that be? i never understood what people meant by hearing voices. is there some voice actually talking in your head like you had headphones on?

Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
    persistant
    (female)

persistant HB User

I am no DR or anything, I am have just been a psychiatric patient for the past 10 years on an outpatient basis. I was searching for a board tonight because I have A LOT of stress in my life right now and I am leaving a 12 yr relationship next Sat moving out on my own. Immense stress, also looking for a job because my company is scaling back, immense stress.

Anyway to the voices, you do not have to have visual hallucinations to have schizophrenia. I too hear voices they talk about anything and everything in the world...mainly about negative issues and topics and if I am along long enough they can lead to trouble. I just want u to know there are a lot of people out there in the world suffering from hearing uncontrolable voices within their mind. I t is something that you immediately need to see a psychiatrist with, before they get out of hand. Stress is a major contributing factory to the intsensity of the voices increasing this is when trouble can arise. By trouble I mean the voices trying to coax you into doing something that normally without the voices you would never do....hurt yourself or someone else. Do you think you can seek out a psychiatrist?

Old 10-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
    Illuminary
    (male)

Illuminary HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toddb
    i'm very interested in the way you "hear" these voices. its very strange to me. if its an actual sound in your mind. if so, how can that be? i never understood what people meant by hearing voices. is there some voice actually talking in your head like you had headphones on?
    I think the experiance of hearing voices is different in different cases.

For me its just a strange faint phantom like voice in the mind. Like a quiet echo in the mind like you were hearing the echos of a dream in the mind while awake.

For some they hear them as if someone were talking to them in the same room. But mine are faint and I know they are from within. Phantom voices.
    Its almost like in the movies where they echo voices when someone is losing their mind.

Jeremy

Old 10-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
    Illuminary
    (male)

Illuminary HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by persistant
    Anyway to the voices, you do not have to have visual hallucinations to have schizophrenia. I too hear voices they talk about anything and everything in the world...mainly about negative issues and topics and if I am along long enough they can lead to trouble. I just want u to know there are a lot of people out there in the world suffering from hearing uncontrolable voices within their mind. I t is something that you immediately need to see a psychiatrist with, before they get out of hand. Stress is a major contributing factory to the intsensity of the voices increasing this is when trouble can arise. By trouble I mean the voices trying to coax you into doing something that normally without the voices you would never do....hurt yourself or someone else. Do you think you can seek out a psychiatrist?
    I can't see a Doctor for a few months until I get insurance. Hopefully things don't get worse until then.

The reason I question whether its Schizophrenia is that hearing these would be the only symptom that I have ever had. I hope its not, but no worries.

I hope things work out for you and that you find peace and calm even in this storm.

Jeremy

Old 10-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
    persistant
    (female)

persistant HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Illuminary
    I can't see a Doctor for a few months until I get insurance. Hopefully things don't get worse until then.

The reason I question whether its Schizophrenia is that hearing these would be the only symptom that I have ever had. I hope its not, but no worries.

I hope things work out for you and that you find peace and calm even in this storm.

Jeremy
    Hi

You may not have schizophrenia, I have major depression with psychotic features. So the say...but I have a learned a diagnosis isn't that important it is getting control of the symptoms that matters. Try to do things to calm your self down while you wait to see the DR. Deep breathing, hiking going for a walk, try to occupy yourself a lot be around other people. There are some teas that are suppose to help, like sleepy time tea or stres reducer...I don't know but really try to find something to relax yourself it will help reduce the voices.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I also have severe major depression disorder with psycotic features. To be honest I rather hear things then see things that are not there. The voices I hear are almost like a whisper effect. I have been taking Zyprexa along with a bunch of other things and it helps to get rid of the voices

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 11-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
    captainofcrush
    (male)

captainofcrush HB User

If you know these voices are not real and you know they're in your head then you don't have schizophrenia. Especially since this is your only symptom. You would have had to have some negative symptoms and a prodromal phase before this happened. Unless you had like a chronic form but that would be pretty severe. Has anyone told you that you have strange beliefs? Like you think the FBI has removed your stomach and replaced it with a computer operated clone? Or that you were abducted by aliens in a spaceship from the sun? I mean anything ***arre. If you're hearing voices, you should be having delusions too. Hallucinations and delusions go with paranoid schizophrenia. My guess is you either have OCD or you're extremely sensitive to sounds. OCD patients sometimes hear voices that they don't like or don't want to hear but they know that these voices are not real and they know it's coming from their head. On the other hand someone with schizophrenia might explain the voices by claiming they have a computer chip in their brain with speakers that play in their ear and they've secretly been hired by the government to be an assassin and the voice is the higher ranking officer informing them on their job. Big difference. You might be really sensitive to noise. I know some people like that. They're all really smart too. It might be because you use more of your brain than most. But anyways they hear things that no one else heres. I'm not sure if this is what you're explaining but I know someone who heard a song for the first time and could immediately detect the low feedback coming from the bass guitar 9 times through the song. It took me probably 50 times of listening to the song before I could hear it too. People like this also have problems with auditory illusions. Like you could hear something but interpret it as something else. I'm pretty sure that's not a disorder in itself but it does happen to some people. I hope that helps.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:32 AM   #9
    dfwgoodguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Schizo board, post reply.

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 11-08-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Closed Thread