It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Need opinion about teenage behavior problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
    lbb87
    (male)

lbb87 HB User
    Need opinion about teenage behavior problems

I need an opinion about something.

A 15 y/o was prescribed Prozac by a doctor because the parent felt the child has behavioral problems. The parent forced the child to take the Prozac for 1 week. After a week, the parent tells the child that their behavior has significantly improved and no longer has to take the Prozac, but would like for them to continue. The child refuses to continue with the Prozac. Here's what's interesting, the child never took the Prozac. After the prescription was filled, they replaced the pills with vitamins and the parent never knew. During the week that they took these pills, the child didn't have school due to bad weather.

I'd like to hear opinions on why the child's behavior had improved if they never took the Prozac. If their behavior problems were so bad that the parent wanted them on medication, it would seem that the child wouldn't be able to control their behavior without medication. So how is it that their behavior improved during that weeK?

I would like to add that the only reason the kid secretly replaced the Prozac with vitamins is because they felt they didn't need the Prozac. They felt the parent was wrong and didn't want to take a mind altering medicine if they didn't need it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
    michael178
    Veteran
    (male)

michael178 HB User
    Re: Need opinion about teenage behavior problems

You must be the teenager. The reason people see results in these type situations is called the placebo effect. When people think that a pill should work, their minds trick them, and the pill works.
    But why are you posting on a mental health site? Do you think you have a mental type problem?

Old 03-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
    CaringMom
    Veteran
    (female)

CaringMom HB User

Could it also be that since the child had no school during this time that they were in fact more relaxed; less stress, feeling better? I know my kids act differently during the school week than weekends or breaks.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
    lilyprincess
    (female)

lilyprincess HB User

When I was a teenager, my mom tried to "control" me with drugs. (oh so many years ago...) I did the same thing... said I was taking the medication when I really wasn't. I acted different after 'taking the medication' becuase I didn't want my mom to know I wasn't really taking it. Even teenagers have free will and are able to control their behavior... if they want to. Most parents try so hard to control their teenagers that the teenagers end up becoming rebellious as a reaction to their parents' authoritative behavior. So, it would make sense that the teenager here would improve their behavior in order to get the parents off their back, or maybe to prove a point, that they didn't need to take medication in order to alter their behavior.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
    lbb87
    (male)

lbb87 HB User

The teenager told me that they did not try to act differently when they were taking the "medication". They said it never occurred to them that they should act different to try to fool the parent. They said they weren't trying to fool the parent, they just didn't want to take that medicine. Based on what I know, I believe this.

I'm just trying to determine whether this kid really does need medication or if the parent is wrong. The parent has many mental illnesses and often makes things up that aren't true but they don't realize they're making them up. This is one of those cases of a parent with a mental illness that has no business raising a child. The problem is that the parent has everyone fooled including their spouse and their psychiatrist.

I really think the problem with the teen is school and the parent. None of their relatives has noticed any behavioral problems and wishes their own kids were that well behaved. They've never gotten in trouble at school or with the law.

Closed Thread