It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and plastic surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
    scaredconfused7
    (female)

scaredconfused7 HB User
    Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and plastic surgery

"Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) is a mental disorder that involves a disturbed body image. It is generally diagnosed in those who are extremely critical of their physique or self image, despite the fact there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect.

Most people wish they could change or improve some aspect of their physical appearance, but people suffering from BDD, generally considered of normal appearance, believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation at their appearance. They tend to be very secretive and reluctant to seek help because they are afraid others will think them vain or they may feel too embarrassed to do so.

Ironically BDD is often misunderstood as a vanity driven obsession, whereas it is quite the opposite; people with BDD believe themselves to be irrevocably ugly or defective."

I think I have this...

I really want to do my nose...I hate the way I loo when I laugh,and the way my profile looks...I think these are reasonable desires...However I noticed I have many of the BBD symptoms,and when I tell people about my wanting for a nose job they think I should see a psychiatrist instead of a plastic surgeon...
    I have these symptoms

"Compulsive mirror checking, glancing in reflective doors, windows and other reflective surfaces.
    Alternatively, an inability to look at ones own reflection or photographs of oneself; often the removal of mirrors from the home.
    Compulsive skin-touching, especially to measure or feel the perceived defect.
    Reassurance seeking from loved ones.
    Social withdrawal and co-morbid depression.
    Obsessive viewing of favorite celebrities or models the person suffering from BDD may wish to resemble.
    Excessive grooming behaviors: combing hair, plucking eyebrows, shaving, etc.
    Obsession with plastic surgery or multiple plastic surgeries with little satisfactory results for the patient. "

I know that I don't look bad all the time...but many times I feel depressed about how I look-sometimes even disgusted-I have obssessions with hair and make up,I admit.I dyed my hair many times,had extensions put in them,experimented with make up...etc...but Ifind that all normal....till I noticed that I have almost all the symptoms of BDD...I have no idea about doing the surgery anyomre,even though I had been wanting it for years....I dont know whta to do and am very confused,esp that when the PS showed me how I would look after the surgery I noticed that I looked exactly the same,since I don't have any noticable bumps or defects and he only made the tip smaller and bridge a bit narrower in the pic.

What should I do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and plastic surgery

Hi Scared, how do you think that you got so insecure about your appearance?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
    scaredconfused7
    (female)

scaredconfused7 HB User

I dont know...Ive felt this all my life...as long as I can remember...just now thought that I really noticed that I have the symptoms of BDD

Old 06-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Did you feel accepted and loved by your family and felt secure?

Old 06-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
    scaredconfused7
    (female)

scaredconfused7 HB User

yes and i still do

Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am at a loss then as to how you got this way. IMO, people feel secure and love and accept themselves by being loved and accepted for who they are and made to feel secure in their environment.....

Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
    Illithid
    (female)

Illithid HB User

I think your best bet would be to build up self-awareness. The more aware a person is of how they ACTUALLY act and not how they THINK they act the better they become at "killing off" their psychological disorders. For example you are aware of all of your symptoms but you don't seem to know why you have them. The thing about mental disorders is people who have them want quick fixes (as does everybody with anything else in the world lol).

I hope I'm explaining myself properly because, unfortunately, self-awareness isn't something people teach. So, the best I can do is examples.

You need to start questioning ALL of your actions. When you look in a mirror ask yourself why you felt the need to do that. Your first instinct might be to just say I don't know but seriously, think about it. Remember that feeling is normal its how we act on those feelings that matters. So indulging in your emotional desires to "fix yourself" more than likely won't make anything better.

But the MOST important thing is you have to want to change. Allot of people have trouble seeing themselves without there disorders or like the attention they get from them and so subconsciously battle any attempts to change. You need to give yourself a desirable and logical reason to stop acting the way you do. A lazy persons dishes will pile and pile but they won't get done because that person doesn't WANT to do them. Your reason to stop has to be more important than why you don't stop. If you honestly think you have an issue you should talk to a doctor or a logical (not emotional) selfless person if your lucky enough to know one ;P

Closed Thread