It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Xanax / Alprazolam - What is the recommended dosage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
    local_host
    (male)

local_host HB User
    Xanax / Alprazolam - What is the recommended dosage?

I realize this is a drug for using only in situations 'as needed' (rather than daily like antidepressants). So what is a safe amount to take, and how much is too much?

What I think is strange is why doctors will prescribe this medication and the instructions will be just like any other drug. The directions say something like- take 1 tablet twice daily .. ***?? Why take it on days you don't need it? And won't taking it daily lessen the overall effect? Seems like just about ANY prescription drug these days is waay over-prescribed...

For me personally it takes about a full 1.0 MG to have any effect, which means I have to take either 2 or 4 pills because the doc will only give me a .25 or .50 amount. AND only a 30 quantity, with NO refills. Ack! How much does everyone else get?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Xanax / Alprazolam - What is the recommended dosage?

Xanax is one of those funny drugs. It does help a lot of people but it is also one of the most abused meds out there. If it was me I would be taking it as little as possible for the dependency risk is just to high. Use it as a last resort try everything else possible from breathing techniques to relaxation exercises before resorting to the med. This is one of those meds that doctors love to prescribe at any sort of anxiety/panic issue but they don't like to refill the prescription

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 06-22-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
    Dee-nah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dee-nah HB User

Hey you = )

I take Xanax twice a day and it's treated me great.. I do agree with tgr, it is one of the most abused meds (aside from pain meds) out there.. If you take it as prescribed you should have no problem in refilling your prescriptions... The reason they don't give re fills is so they can track down the amount your taking... I just call it into my pdoc when I run out, usually it's at the time all my meds are in need of a re fill...

What are you taking the Xanax for?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I was given xanax 0.25 at bed time. 30 in a bottle. They were for falling asleep and helping with migraines. They don't work for me. Nothing I take works. Most pills I take don't work after the 2nd day. I have to stop for a few weeks then take it again and it will still only work for 2 days.

I was given Soma and Codeine to take with the Xanax all at bedtime. I don't take them as directed. I switched up so I don't get use to them. Taking them every day is a waste of money when they aren't going to work. Ambien or Lunasta does not work either.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
    steveblack
    (male)

steveblack HB User
    Smile Re: Xanax / Alprazolam - What is the recommended dosage?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromSqueaky View Post
    I was given xanax 0.25 at bed time. 30 in a bottle. They were for falling asleep and helping with migraines. They don't work for me. Nothing I take works. Most pills I take don't work after the 2nd day. I have to stop for a few weeks then take it again and it will still only work for 2 days.

I was given Soma and Codeine to take with the Xanax all at bedtime. I don't take them as directed. I switched up so I don't get use to them. Taking them every day is a waste of money when they aren't going to work. Ambien or Lunasta does not work either.
    I wonder what else would work for you.
    FYI.... Xanax goes as high as 2 mg.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Hi there - sorry to but in but I am not sure why your doc would give these drugs to you to help you sleep at night. I believe Soma is a muscle relaxer, codeine is a narcotic and xanax is for anxiety. The xanax wouldn't do anything for a migraine. I suffer from fibromyalgia and bipolar and I take many different meds including muscle relaxers, pain meds, xanax, anti-inflammatory and several other meds. I don't sleep alot and my docs have tried me on probably 8 different sleeping pills that either don't work, or may work for about 2 hours. Sometimes I don't sleep for 2 or 3 days. I hate taking all the meds I am on but my xanax I am prescribed 3 x per day and if it is needed more I am able to take more which I would rather ride out the anxiety than to take anymore. All the night time meds I take would probably knock out an elephant but my mind keeps racing most of the time.

If you are only taking them for 2 days and then stopping because they don't work and waiting and starting again, you are not giving them time to build up in your system. If you run out of your xanax before it is time to refill them the doctor nor your insurance company will refill them anyway. They figure when they need to be refilled by the directions that are on the bottle. Just something to think about.

Hope it helps.

Closed Thread