It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Constant Daydreaming.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
    kan319
    (female)

kan319 HB User
    Unhappy Constant Daydreaming.

Hi, my name is Kelly and I'm new here on the site.

I am suffering from constant daydreaming. Every moment of my waking day, I put myself into another world, but I'm still functioning in the world around me. In school, I'm still Kelly and interacting with my teachers and friends and it hasn't affected my schooling at all (i have a 3.5 gpa) but I'm not Kelly on the inside.

Inside, I'm a different person, living a different way of life. Usually I'm still a teenager but I'm a child of famous person that I admire.

I sometimes think I do this because I am bored, but it can happen when I'm totally engaged in something. When I try to make it stop, I either get really depressed or anxious because I don't know what to do, or I just lay there and think of what I can be today and I eventually go back into the dream world.

Sometimes I love it because I've always had a great imagination being an only child, but some days, it makes me really depressed because something in my dream world can make me depressed.

When I was about 8, my parents got a divorce so that rocked my world. And in 2003 my mom went through another divorce with my ex step dad. I started noticing that I was "daydreaming" alot during that time.

I tried looking for answers. But I've come up with almost nothing. I found a few things called depersonalizatoin and derealization. But I don't know if that really explains what I am experiencing.

I'm thinking about going to a therapist or someone to talk about it. I'm also very nervous about this being my senior year of high school and nervous about graduating.

Most of all, I want to know that I'm not alone. Does anyone experience the same? I figure a little day dreaming and imagination is a good thing, but I'm not sure about the constantly part.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by kan319; 12-26-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
    cherokepyrte
    (male)

cherokepyrte HB User
    Re: Constant Daydreaming.

Daydreaming is not a bad thing unless it takes the place of real life. You might try writing some of these daydreams down. It helps to see what you're thinking. Therapy is 1 course of action but don't let them take away that great imagination. Your daydreaming doesn't sound like depersonalization because it doesn't effect your functioning in daily life. Congrats on a 3.5 GPA. If you ask me, and indirrectly you did, there's nothing wrong with daydreaming. If it's bothering you to daydream so much, try activities. Extracurricular activities can take your consentration so much that your mind has no time for daydreams. In situations like divorce it is a defense mechanism to try and get away from your real life in some way. It helps you not think about the bad things that are happening around you. I started daydreaming when i was 4 and my parents got divorced too. It got really bad when my first stepdad died when i was 13. I still daydream but not near as much. I have a busy life and there is lil time for myself so i get to daydream only when it's quiet. Having 2 granddaughters can keep your mind so active you can't think of a darn thing else. I say this, enjoy your daydreams unless they start to interfear with your daily life. If they do, get help. Shane

Closed Thread