It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• VIVID memories that aren't memories!?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
    semarlo2
    (female)

semarlo2 HB User
    Exclamation VIVID memories that aren't memories!?

This began about 4 months ago: a vivid 'memory' popped into my head. It was so vivid that it 'felt' like the event had happened a few days before; however, as I tried to 'analyze' the details of the memory it quickly faded and I was overcome with nausea.

The first time it happened didn't concern me, I brushed it off; but, I have had more of these "memories", along with the same rapid disappearance and nausea, which has become frightening.

All of these 'memories' share the same theme, horses or horse related events. (I train horses in my spare time). BUT, of what I can remember from these visions, none of them have happened! I've never been to any of the places or met any of the people in these 'memories', to the best of my knowledge. And, WHY would I become ill when I tried to focus on the detail in them?

Does anyone have a clinical diagnosis or has anyone shared similar experiences? The more frequently that these happen, the scarier they become. Especially the nausea part.

I've had 5 of these incidents, TODAY!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephanie

Last edited by semarlo2; 01-04-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: misspelling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User
    Re: VIVID memories that aren't memories!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by semarlo2 View Post
    This began about 4 months ago: a vivid 'memory' popped into my head. It was so vivid that it 'felt' like the event had happened a few days before; however, as I tried to 'analyze' the details of the memory it quickly faded and I was overcome with nausea.

The first time it happened didn't concern me, I brushed it off; but, I have had more of these "memories", along with the same rapid disappearance and nausea, which has become frightening.

All of these 'memories' share the same theme, horses or horse related events. (I train horses in my spare time). BUT, of what I can remember from these visions, none of them have happened! I've never been to any of the places or met any of the people in these 'memories', to the best of my knowledge. And, WHY would I become ill when I tried to focus on the detail in them?

Does anyone have a clinical diagnosis or has anyone shared similar experiences? The more frequently that these happen, the scarier they become. Especially the nausea part.

I've had 5 of these incidents, TODAY!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stephanie
    Stephanie - This could just be some type of anxiety and this is the way that it plays itself out. I am not a psychiatrist or anything however, things can come out in weird ways. Have you ever thought of talking to a therapist about this. It doesn't make you weak, it will make you stronger to get a hold of these issues. Please don't think I am trying to be mean, only trying to help you. Jenn

Old 01-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
    semarlo2
    (female)

semarlo2 HB User
    Unhappy Re: VIVID memories that aren't memories!?

I have thought about talking to a therapist, however I live in a small town, the closest therapist would be in the City, an hour + away.

AND, I don't have insurance.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
    Jenn4508
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by semarlo2 View Post
    I have thought about talking to a therapist, however I live in a small town, the closest therapist would be in the City, an hour + away.

AND, I don't have insurance.
    Are you sure there aren't any clinics or Universities that will take you on a sliding scale for pay. You might want to check the yellow pages for that... Just a thought, Jenn

Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
    kirsten07
    Veteran
    (female)

kirsten07 HB User

i get those sometime too, just recently i felt like i had memories of people stalking around my house at night and looking in....then i thought about it and its never happened. i've had a couple more too in the past its kind of scary, personally, i think its anxiety related and there are deep problems your not dealing with.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
    semarlo2
    (female)

semarlo2 HB User

The "Memories" aren't scary, it's the nausea that follows the 'memory' or 'vision' when I try to focus on them that is worrying me.

The memories are neutral or even pleasant. They are all associated with horses or horse related activities/people.

But, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one having these types of 'episodes'.

I have been under a bit of stress, lately.

I want to thank everyone for your replies. I appreciate the time you have taken to read my posting.

Stephanie

Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
    semarlo2
    (female)

semarlo2 HB User

With the hope of helping others who are experiencing these same symptoms, I am posting my diagnosis.

I am suffering from seizures! My MRI was normal, but my EEG showed abnormalities in my "brain waves". (history: 3 head injuries throughout my life: age 12, age 17, age 26. Those have come back to haunt me!)

My seizures slowly progressed to where I was losing my short term and semi long term (3 weeks) memory. eg, my oldest son was visiting for Christmas; he'd been here 2 weeks. I suffered a seizure and phoned my husband. He asked me where my son was and if my son could help. I had NO MEMORY of my son having arrived or even being here!

My seizures begin as haulicinations (what I was attributing as a 'memory'), then dizziness, then nausea. Sometimes, I just have the haulicinations, and these are the 'minor' seizures.

However, one GOOD thing that was coming from my seizures was an enhanced taste and smell, afterwards! It was like I was experiencing food for the FIRST time! This affect lasted a day or two after the end of my seizure "session". I have had as few as 4 seizures and as many as 21 seizures a day-but, only ONE day per month. These seizures used to come every few months; now, I've had them for the past 5 months in a row.

I can't drive on my seizure days (dizziness) and try to stay near home. Medication hasn't worked and no one knows what triggers them.

I'm keeping a journal, tracking my stress, sleepiness, period, etc. No patterns, yet.

I want to thank everyone for their input. It's good to know I wasn't CRAZY!

Closed Thread