It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Paranoia that started with physical symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
    snark
    (female)

snark HB User
    Arrow Paranoia that started with physical symptoms

Hi,
    Please help my family and I figure out what happened to my dad...We don't have much contact with him any more so we're basically left to do detective work. 20 years ago, as my mom tells me, my dad came down with a terrible migraine, so bad that he couldn't even open his eyes, and at the same time had a horrible smell coming off of him. She took him to the ER, they did not do a scan, just gave him pain meds and said they'd never smelled anything like his breath before. I don't know the rest of the details, but that's what she remembers.

Immediately after that, my dad fell into a deep depression. He never had mental symptoms before that migraine. He soon had to leave the Military because of the depression and whatever other mental symptoms began happening. Then, everything went wrong - he became extremely paranoid, to the point of getting arrested for breaking into businesses he was paranoid about, and he was admitted to mental hospitals. He ended up on disability, and that's where he's at today.

My parents ended up divorcing, and we never really gave any thought to how his symptoms all began. I recently told a counselor this, and she said I was right... that mental disorders shouldn't just pop up out of the blue following a migraine. My father is now in such a bad place that he doesn't have the self-reflection abilites to look back on this and tell his doctors about the migraine, so he's being treated as bipolar (which is not right, because after that 1st deep depression, he has never been clinically depressed.) My mom says he is now a "shell" of the man she married and knew before the migraine.

Is there any evidence that all mental health disorders are the result of something phsyical, ie. viral, infection, etc. I found out that Sinusitis drainage causes a very foul smell. Could a sinusitis infection have gone to his brain, but only affected him enough to damage it without killing him?

this is a VERY important issue for our family, and we need any advice with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread