It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Am I cold and emotionless?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
    Laneyboi
    (male)

Laneyboi HB User
    Am I cold and emotionless?

A Bit about me;
    As far as I can remember my mind has not had a nights rest, i think from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep. I have done personality tests and they have always returned INTJ. I consider myself a fairly popular person who is good at most things I do. I get along with everyone and have a very likeable personality and ALWAYS put others before myself.

My problems;
    My mind never stops thinking! It always thinks about things, fully analyzes any situations im going to encounter or may never even encounter. I have to keep my mind busy otherwise I think about completely random stuff like what would win in a fight a penguin or a flamingo or work out a pointlesly long problem that has no relevance to me or what I do just for funzies.

I have never 'Felt' an emotion as far as I can remember. I 'know' what I should be feeling and am completely aware of how others are feeling and can emphasise with them but I never use my emotions to do so. As an example I can look at a new born baby and feel nothing, I can look at a puppy and say its cute without feeling its cute, I could watch that same puppy get runover without feeling sad. I know when I should be angry however cannot bring myself to attack instead just let it flyover my head. I know when i should be happy but instead I just fake a laugh or smile. I know I love my mum and family I just cant feel it.

I hate to admit when I cannot do something and this was hard for me to do but I am at the last stop on the bus and if i cant get off now im going off the cliff with the bus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laneyboi For This Useful Post:
    Inmyhead (05-18-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Am I cold and emotionless?

I have just read a number of your posts and the amount of sincere advice you have given points to a different side that either you do not recognize or simply ignore. Go back and read what you wrote on the other posts and you will see what I mean. My brain is programmed to think on the side of logic and not based off of feelings and it has taken some time to listen to both my brain and my heart but it is possible you just need to spend more time in the moment
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
    Laneyboi
    (male)

Laneyboi HB User

Thats cause I think i can help them and I try to help as many people as I think it might help me get my emotions back, but no single story has made me use my emotion to write a response its all thought. I think alot and dont know how to listen to my emotions.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=742336

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
    MioBass
    (male)

MioBass HB User

First of all, this is my first post and i only created an account because of the similarities between your circumstances and mine.

First, i think there is two parts in this.

You are more rational than emotive, but not emotionless ( the fact that you ask for help is proof enough )

What worked for me is understanding that not everything is fairy tales, thus emotions are different and unique to each person. The way i see it, rationalizing over the death of a puppy to avoid being sad and become able to continue your life is not inconvenirnt. Moreover, the birth of a human being is interesting but may not involve emotive thinking for everyone.

Like said we are all unique. But the fact that you feel concerned about this shows you DO have emotions.

Now, about overthinking everything ... Well, it means that you have the desire of knowledge ... Many people had this "problem" and decided to apply it effectively ( newton, einstein, etc ).

My only advise would be to not be so harsh on yourself ( you are still a human ). Being cold can be good at times and bad at others ( being "hot" too). But life gave you lemons so ...

Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
    green43050
    (female)

green43050 HB User

I think you have bi-polar disorder. It is hard to sleep because your brain can't shut down. Sometimes you feel uncaring and emotionless. Like your dog could die and it would not matter even though you know later when you feel better, that you will be really upset. You get sudden bouts of anger without anything to provoke it. The best way to be sure is to see a psychiatrist. I am bi-polar and understand what you are going through. I am on a drug called lamictal. It really helps my concentrate and stay focused. I can sleep, and no more racing thought and unpredictable emotions.

Closed Thread