It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Celebrity obsession and talking to imaginary people?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
    caaitlinxx
    (female)

caaitlinxx HB User
    Celebrity obsession and talking to imaginary people?

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I really have no idea how to work this site...

I'm a teen girl and I'm starting to get concerned that my celebrity crush might be turning into some kind of weird obsession that I can't control. I have a big crush on a footballer (or soccer player if you're American haha) in one of the biggest clubs in Glasgow, Scotland, which is where I live. I started to develop a small crush on him when I seen him play, but since then I've been constantly researching everything about him, looking at photos of him and watching his interviews over and over.

But the weirdest part is that I sometimes imagine that he is sitting with me, or watching TV with me, or I imagine I'm in bed with him. Not actually having sex or anything, just as if I'm lying with him, hugging him and talking to him or something. I do sometimes, if I'm not doing anything and I just go into a daydream, imagine what it would be like to have sex with him or even just kiss him, and I've actually imagined what it would be like to be married and have kids with him a few times. But sometimes I can't control when these fantasies kick in or sometimes I just start talking (in my head, not out loud) to him as if he is sitting next to me without even realising it. It doesn't happen all the time; like if I'm busy doing something or I'm just not thinking about it, nothing happens, and this never interferes with my social life.

Normally, I wouldn't actually be that bothered about being this into a celebrity, but I think I just feel weird about it because he literally lives within a few miles of me; so he's walked down the same town as me, been in the same shopping centre that I go to, etc. It's perfectly possible that I could just bump into him one day, and I think that's bothering me as it would be really awkward seeing him in person after watching videos of him and fantasising about him every day. It also upsets me how pathetic it is to have this obsession with him. Like if he knew there was a 14 year old girl out there who has been imagining having sex with him, he would think I'm pathetic. It's mainly because of that that I want to stop this and just go back to having a normal little crush on him, but it's also because I sometimes can't really control when these fantasies start and stop.

Do you think it's normal, like is it just a normal phase for a teenage girl and will it pass? Or do you have any ideas on how I could stop having fantasies about him? And do you think there is something wrong with me because I sometimes can't control this? Thank you in advance

Last edited by Mo-S4; 04-23-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
    chloebeexx
    (female)

chloebeexx HB User
    Re: Celebrity obsession and talking to imaginary people?

I used to do exactly the same with any celebrity crush I had it started from when I was as young as 4 I think until I was about 15, it used to be celebrities but as I got older and met real boys and boyfriends sometimes it would be them I used to imagine, I'm nearly 20 now and I havnt done it for years I think it was down to boredom and loneliness because I never did it when I was with friends or had a proper boyfriend, now I have a baby and a partner so I think now I'm so busy and happy I just don't think about things like that anymore, so don't worry I think you will just grow out of it if its the same as what I did .

I found this thread because I was searching for people that have done the same as me just to make sure it isn't to do with any mental issues, so I would also like to know if this was normal

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
    Nerdlie
    (female)

Nerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB User

I really do not think this is abnormal. I am 20 years old, so I have just gone through the teen years. I was never really big into celebs -- but I did have a pretty big crush on Freddie Prinz Jr. (you've probably never heard of him -- big 90s star -- he married Buffy -- I hope you know who Buffy is -- the Vampire slayer?) LOL.. anyways.. I had lots of friends who had celeb crushes/obsessions that lasted years. It is not abnormal unless you actually start stalking this person or you find it really disruptive to your life.
    Though I wasn't really like that over celebs, there were guys at school I'd fall pretty hard for and fantasize about constantly for months at a time.. once for 2 years!
    That is a normal part of growing up, really. You will meet a real guy someday and trust me, you will forget all about mr. sexy footballer! Once you get a real boyfriend when you are older, you will likely not experience this 'issue' with unwanted fantasizing.
    You are really young. Your brain is going through lots of chemical changes, as is your body. Things will straighten out :P
    You can try getting some new hobbies (maybe you might want to avoid football though... ha ha) and doing things to distract yourself. Socializing, focusing on school, maybe finding a real life crush... there are lots of ways to distract yourself from your fantasy guy.
    But really, there is nothing wrong with daydreaming. Just make sure it doesn't interfere with your life too much!
    Hope this helps ease your concerns a bit -- don't worry, you're perfectly normal (although feeling 'abnormal' or like you don't fit in is actually a really NORMAL part of being a teenager, oddly enough).

If you have any other Qs I can help with, just let me know Take care!!

PS. It might help you to know, if you actually met this guy -- you may hate his personality! It's easy to think someone's perfect until you really get to know them. Also, he wouldn't think you're pathetic. I guarantee. Part of being a celeb/sports-star is knowing that you're a bit of a teen sex idol, especially if you happen to be a good looking one! That said, if he found you peering into his window from the bush.. that may scare him a little

Last edited by Nerdlie; 07-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
    caaitlinxx
    (female)

caaitlinxx HB User

Thank you both so much for your answers, they really made me feel better about it all

I still like looking at photos and watching videos of him, but my friends say they do this too, so I'm not too bothered about that. I used to actually act out the scenarios, but now I don't do it as much, if not at all. Now it's really just me day dreaming about him, and I suppose everyone imagines meeting or having a date with their favourite celebrity once in a while, so that doesn't bother me too much anymore haha. And, like you said, maybe once I get a proper boyfriend I'll forget all about him, and I'm going back to school soon (it's been our summer holidays so I've been very bored, which was usually when I started acting out the stuff), so maybe with all my school work, it'll take my mind off of it and keep me busy so I don't feel the need to start acting out a date with him lol

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
    Nerdlie
    (female)

Nerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB User

It is very normal at your age to feel self conscious/wonder if you're normal, but don't worry too much. No one is exactly alike. You sound like you just have a really good imagination! Nothing wrong with playing pretend or acting things out sometimes for fun, especially if you're bored. Heck, I still played barbies when I wasn't much younger than you. I wouldn't worry too much over all of this, I'm fairly certain you will outgrow it in your own time, once you get busy with other things!

Closed Thread