It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board

• Could this possibly be signs of BPD?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
    Rywres2011
    (male)

Rywres2011 HB User
    Question Could this possibly be signs of BPD?

During my early tween years/teen years I had to deal with bouts of rage/verbal abuse (as did my sister), and I could never put my finger on what the issue couldve been (PTSD, BPD), etc. Here is basically what I went through/now sometimes go through, and was wondering if any of this could be related to BPD:

-Yelled/screamed at my sister and I when me and my sis didn't listen/clean up our toys that were all over the place (she once took our tub of legos and dumped it everywhere then yelled at us to clean it up).

-My sis and I had fights and I'd knock her on her head (like youd knock on a door almost w/ your knuckles) and my mom would slap me/and or spank me. One time she actually marched up to my room and tore it apart then threated to beat my *** if I didnt clean up the destruction of my room she made (she also raised a piece of wood over my head off my broken dresser and looked like she was going to hit me with it, asking me if I was afraid).

-Smashed a bowl in the sink/yelled at me because I kept putting something in the wrong spot in the dishwasher (this was last year).

-Complains about her life/job and how she never has any help from anybody.

-Gets upset when I tell her I want to be on my own in another state rather than the one she wants to move/relocate to.

-Can get irritable quickly when driving/behind someone slow and yell racist things to the person infront of us.

-Blew up at one of the workers at our local mall and called her a witch because she didnt understand english very well/rolled her eyes at my mother when she refused to give something to my sis at one of the food carts in the mall.

-Can be judgemental of other people/gets upset when you say shes wrong.

-Threatens to look up who im texting/calling if I dont tell her who im talking to when asked. (im 22)

-Once stated that I myself was her ticket to making us rich/the ticket to her/our future.

Her little brother is Bipolar/has depression, and my grandma (my moms mother) also DEF seems like she could be bipolar/and or PTSD as shes had anger outbursts in the past/periods where she will get upset over little things and cry. (Both my grandma and mom were treated badly by my grandfather. Which is why both of them are like this).

I actually had spoken to my friends father whos a counsler and he suggested it could possibly be dependent personality disorder. Is there any other illness that has these symptoms, could it truly be PTSD?. She can also be very manipulative at times, but I dont know if thats a characteristic of someone w/ PTSD.

Lastly, what would you recommend as a good way to start setting up boundries?.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: Could this possibly be signs of BPD?

Your mother definitely sounds as if she has a personality disorder. Forget about trying to set boundaries, etc; they will just be ignored and you will be punished for trying. Look after yourself and leave home as soon as you can. Sera

Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
    Rywres2011
    (male)

Rywres2011 HB User
    Re: Could this possibly be signs of BPD?

Thank you! ::hugs::. She didn't yell all the time at us, but obviously, it still was a lot. Do you have any guesses as to what her PD could be, maybe?. I've also noticed that, if shell get mad if youre in a hurry/trying to do something quick, shell tell you "slow down", and if you dont, shell get a little pissy.

I also forgot to mention, that her and my sister had gone to a therapist once, and they argued, and he suggested to her (sis) that she join the peace core out in Peru/Costa Rica. Apparently, the therapist is "nuts" to her because of that, and a "quack".

Also, I don't know if this is a trait of just self esteem issues or narrcisim, but, there are times she'll say "I look ugly", or "my hair looks bad", or she'll ask "does this look bad?" "do I look fat?" while looking at us (obviously we say no). The narrcism (I guess) can be statements like "Shes ugly. I look better than her", or "I look better than all of them", or "I sing so much better than her, dont you think? (insert x female music artist)".

Lastly, for whatever reason (I dont know if this is apart of any disorder, or just her beliefs), but, the other night at dinner she spaced out for a minute than random asked "Whats the key to get into heaven?".

Or last night it was the same question and then when I told her I didnt know the lords prayer after she asked, she started to recite it/teach me it, and then asked if I knew anything about the bible (I told her "no" and that I didnt care to) and her response was "thats so wrong" ( last night this occured after two glasses of wine, btw).

I'm sure if she were to be confronted about how she treated my sister and I in the past, she'd probably just say she was very angry/upset at the time. Whenever shes around people she feels the need to give them compliments (some, not all), and "hates" those who in her words have "no personality"/and or are "mean" (I'd be bored to death too, working behind a counter :P),

Closed Thread

Tags
    bipolar, bpd, mental illness, ptsd