It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board

Asbestos acoustic tile exposure

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Hayley464
(female)

Hayley464 HB User
Asbestos acoustic tile exposure

I was recently abroad to the US and visited a tourist attraction where we were in a room for 20 minutes or so which had asbestos acoustic tiles (I know this as I have researched since the event). Some were cracked with corners missing, although there were no obvious signs of dust. I have emailed the company involved but have had no response. I am also aware US legislation is weaker than ours regarding asbestos.

I am now super worried that any asbestos has got onto my clothes (which as being away have not been properly washed) and am thinking I'm going to have to wash them several times to remove any fibres. I'm worried these clothes have then spread the fibres elsewhere adding to the risk.

I should mention that for work I am probably occasionally exposed to these things anyway (doing building inspections) which I am worried increases my risk of developing something nasty in the future.

Please can anyone advise? I am seriously concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Asbestos acoustic tile exposure

You wont have any problems from being exposed to Asbestos for only a few minutes...even a few hours. Its when you breathe it every day or live with it every day that problems can occur.

My husband works around asbestos daily...and until 10 years ago never wore a mask; he still isnt showing any signs of being exposed to it.

You should not worry about the short time you were in that room; however if your job has you exposed to it regularly, you might want to consider wearing a mask and breathing regulator.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Hayley464
(female)

Hayley464 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
You wont have any problems from being exposed to Asbestos for only a few minutes...even a few hours. Its when you breathe it every day or live with it every day that problems can occur.

My husband works around asbestos daily...and until 10 years ago never wore a mask; he still isnt showing any signs of being exposed to it.

You should not worry about the short time you were in that room; however if your job has you exposed to it regularly, you might want to consider wearing a mask and breathing regulator.
Thank you MSNik that ha shelled out my mind at rest. I'm not super OCD and am wiping anything and everything where it may have spread which feels excessive although I can't help it and mean having serious anxiety about it.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
Hayley464
(female)

Hayley464 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post

Thank you MSNik that has helped put my mind at rest. I'm not super OCD and am wiping anything and everything where it may have spread which feels excessive although I can't help it and mean having serious anxiety about it.

Reply Reply

« Abestosis | - »