It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mesothelioma Message Board

• Asbestos exposure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
    Frangelico
    (male)

Frangelico HB User
    Asbestos exposure

One year ago, August 2008, when my floor carpet was removed, the old, original, dark tiles were exposed. New porcelain tiles were placed on top of the old tiles. A small part (the closet area) of my whole floor was left unfinished. I didn't bother about it thinking that would be taken care of later on.

This month, August 2009, another renovator will be re-doing my bathroom. He noticed the closet area--the unfinished floor part where the old dark floor tiles are exposed. He told me the tiles were made with asbestos. I panicked and became anxious until now.

My anxiety escalates every day as I ponder upon my "What ifs?" What if the renovator broke, sanded, scratched, etc. the old asbestos tiles? I was aware of the presence of dust underneath the carpet when it was stripped. The dusts were most likely dirt particles that have accumulated through time.

During the renovation period, August 15 to August 26, 2008, I went home at each end of the day to see the exposed old tiles. I even swept and wiped them with moist cloth to clean up the areas. I knew then that the dust/dirt all over was from the new construction materials like grout, ceramic powders, etc.

Now I am very scared about having inhaled asbestos particles or fibers!
    I have lived a healthy life. My regular chest X-ray last year was okay. My blood pressure is well-managed; annual cardiology test OK; colonoscopy, OK.

I intend to see my primary doctor as soon as possible about my concern with asbestos exposure. It's the psychological torture that is bothering me right now. What are the possibilities that I might have inhaled asbestos particles?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by Frangelico; 08-06-2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
    ExtremelyWired
    (male)

ExtremelyWired HB User
    Re: Asbestos exposure

I’m a general contractor and have been for over 25 years. I can assure you that you have already been exposed to asbestos in your life. It’s in all buildings and homes in one form or another that were built before the mid 70’s. It was used in insulation, pipe insulation on boilers, plaster, textured ceilings, floor tiles, exterior siding, etc., etc. It was used in an endless number of building materials until the mid 70‘s. You probably attended schools that were full of it. People who work in certain industries come in contact with it all the time, like heating and air contractors, plumbers, home improvement contractors, etc. They carry the fibers on their clothes. They also stand next to you in line at the grocery store, the bank, etc., etc. You can’t escape it. I have removed tons of that tile you are concerned about, too. Mesothelioma is a very rare form of lung cancer that is caused by long term exposure to asbestos. You are fine. Stop worrying.

Last edited by ExtremelyWired; 11-06-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
    Frangelico
    (male)

Frangelico HB User
    Re: Asbestos exposure

Hello ExtremelyWired: Thank you very much for your words of comfort!

Closed Thread