It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Military Health Issues Message Board

• Has anyone experienced this??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
    will1of3

will1of3 HB User
    Has anyone experienced this??

Its been 8 to 9 years since I left the Army, and 12 to 13 years since I served in the Gulf. I have been getting worse now for about 3 years. I have been experiencing problems with physical balance, coordination, and limb weakness.
    The provisional diagnosis is "cerebellar ataxia", a shrinkage of those two smaller lobes behind and below our two main hemispheres.
    Could I ask if other GW vets recognise any of the above?? Thanks

Last edited by will1of3; 03-02-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Did you have headaches in this area, too?

I'm hoping you hear from some vets; I can ask others whom I am in contact with.
    Quote:
    I have been experiencing problems with physical balance, coordination, and limb weakness. The provisional diagnosis is "cerebellar ataxia", a shrinkage of those two smaller lobes behind and below our two main hemispheres.
    I was wondering if this might be the area gulf war syndrome vets have their headaches? Do you also have headaches?

Do you have fatigue? & if so, [url=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=150278]please note BraveRifles post[/url] on small red blood cell anemia

Old 03-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
    will1of3

will1of3 HB User
    Re: Did you have headaches in this area, too?

Hello Maggie

Thanks for having a look at my message. With regard to headaches, I must say, I do not generally suffer from unusual headaches. In fact I would say things are quite normal in that respect. However, I do easy fatique quite easily.

regards Will

Last edited by will1of3; 03-08-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
    will1of3

will1of3 HB User
    Re: Has anyone experienced this??

Hello Maggie

I am just resending this message just in case I did not get it correct the first time.

Thanks for having a look at my message. With regard to headaches, I must say, I do not generally suffer from unusual headaches. In fact I would say things are quite normal in that respect. However, I do easy fatique quite easily.

regards Will

Old 03-13-2004, 09:46 PM   #5
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Hello from another vet - Fatigue?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by will1of3
    Hello Maggie, I do easy fatique quite easily. regards Will
    Yes that is a primary concern. [url=http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?p=898629#post898629]Check this Healthboard post for more info[/url]

What job did you do in the gulf war?

Here is a reply from bilbo37 off a gulf war vet discussion board:
    Quote:
    "Yes, there are others that are going through the same thing. I am one of them. See if this is familiar: get up at 5 am by 9 or 10 feeling ok by 2 or 3 your getting tired. keep buging them to get you help...." a concerned veteran

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 03-13-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Old 04-01-2004, 03:00 AM   #6
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    Did you clean equipment with DAWN?

Will, did you use Dawn to clean the equipment that needed 'decontaminating' or just plain cleanup? I've heard of a couple of women who had that duty for too long a stretch & seem to have the 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms

Do you have any of these symptoms together with the fatigue?

Chills
    Fatigue
    Pale color
    Shortness of breath
    Rapid heart rate
    Yellow skin color (jaundice)
    Dark urine
    Enlarged spleen

Central Nervous System affects, too

Do have regular kidney and liver function tests

and for the fatigue - check 'retic ratio'
    (too many immature red blood cells?)
    (and what do the red blood cells look like? Size? Shape?)
    How is your iron storage & utilization?

Old 05-31-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
    mingon

mingon HB User
    Unhappy Re: Has anyone experienced this??

Will1of3,
    I am the daughter of a Gulf War Vet and my father has been experiencing the same symptoms as you for the past 5 years. It has gotten increasingly worse to the point where he has been instructed not to drive and worst yet, his non-military affiliated physician is starting to treat him for Parkinson's. He has tremors so bad that my mother says it feels like someone is shaking their bed at night. He is 49 and uses a cane, had a difficult time staying on topic during a discussion and now is increasingly losing motor skills. He is a retired Marine and was land based is Saudi but I'm not sure where. I hope this isn't discouraging to you but you are not alone.
    mingon

Old 06-01-2004, 02:57 PM   #8
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    how old are you?

... just wondering whether you were born before or after the gulf war service of your father?

I am very sorry to hear of this situation

Is your dad tired a lot ... or was he before the symptoms got worse?

Did his doctor ever find that he had too many immature red blood cells, or that the blood cells were ragged and beat up, when looked at under a microscope?

I ask these questions, because there is an exposure troops had that can cause all of the gulf war syndrome and resultant difficulties: 2-butoxyethanol.

It first of all damages the immune system, I believe, which attacks the red blood cells and they die off prematurely. The bone marrow can compensate for awhile for the approaching hemolytic anemia. The 'retic' ratio can find this harm. It is checking to see if bone marrow is making red blood cells at an appropriate rate.

It is also a way of ruling this chemical IN or OUT as being the cause of harm to a gulf war vet.

Sadly many vets have been given many, many additional medications for their ailments, which makes it worse for them. (Those overexposed to a chemical should avoid any extra chemicals along the way!) I've wondered if maybe the best help, when the situation gets extreme, is a transfusion of WHOLE BLOOD.

All the best. Please let me know if this might be the cause of this gulf war vet's harm?

Old 06-08-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
    ShatteredLife2

ShatteredLife2 HB User

Yes I suffer from this problem. I suffer from off balance, uncoordinated and clumsyness (e.g. Like drunk or something to that effect...) I also get blurred vision in one eye and suffer from high blood pressure now recently. Because I don't work I don't get sleep apnea anymore like I use to where I stop breathing at night while sleeping, etc. I've almost died at least 200 times from that problem alone!! Every now and then it comes back but not very often. The headaches are bad also-- very intense! I get chest pains, abdominal pains, kidney pains, joint pains, anxiety, very aggressive mood swings, fatigue, I don't even care to take care of myself anymore hardly and don't even like to tie my shoes, etc. My child wants me to play with her outside and she doesn't understand that I am sick and simply can't but sometimes I try for short times is all I can do... she is disappointed a lot and I wish things were different but this is now a reality and I have to deal with it the best that I can. I'm not getting any help from VA-- they just want proof which they took and I wasn't even allowed to look at my medical records... The doctors don't know what it could be but are getting closer now than in the past.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    do take care of yourself

You have enough going on without this

For your daughter, was she born before or after this chemical exposure? (whether shots or other?)

She could have medical concerns in future.

Blood sugar may be from autoimmune pancreas. So mention to doctor to double check liver and kidneys if any medication is given for it. Best thing is diet (limited sugar and starches) and exercise

In the off chance that you have run into the 2-butoxyethanol in some cleaning compounds (even simplistic forms such as Dawn) ... please ask the doc to check the retic ratio for fatigue that it causes

Old 06-09-2004, 09:41 PM   #11
    ShatteredLife2

ShatteredLife2 HB User

Boy this is interesting... my daughter was born without the embrionic fluid because it leaked out passed my wife's mucas plug. When she was born she was grey and had pneumonia and almost died. The doctor and a nurse ran into our hospital room in a frantic and acted shocked about something and said my daughter was sick. I didn't know what to say to them... my daughter too was a victim of this gulf war syndrome. She was very slow when she was growing up and I was concerned that maybe she had some kind of learning disability, but now she has improved since then and is very smart. I gave her her own brand new computer so she knows how to link up and use the internet. I am trying to give her all of the advantage I can give her because she could have genetic damage and other problems like you said that is hidden... I have always been in excellent health and is probably the reason why I am doing as good as I am, however I am really messed up and have been for 14 years. I am upset that my daughter may have have become damaged because of my military service-- and I am angry!

Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 AM   #12
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    When was your daughter born?

Was she premature?

The chemical I suspect is one on the list of exposures the troops had.
    2-butoxyethanol is a teratogen (harms developing fetus)

I would be angry too. I am angry. No one should suffer unnecessarily - most especially the innocent children. This is not an essential chemical and it has robbed many of the life and health they should have had. That's my take on it. And this harm is ongoing - it hasn't stopped.

I am glad that your daughter survived this.

Many times people can pinpoint when this hit them. Do you remember what you did in the military that is in connection with the start up of these odd symptoms, most especially the fatigue?

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 06-10-2004 at 04:51 AM.

Old 06-12-2004, 08:21 PM   #13
    ShatteredLife2

ShatteredLife2 HB User

No she wasn't born prematurely, she was born actually on schedule but she was carried half way through the pregnancy with very little embriotic fluid in the womb.

The only thing that I can pinpoint as what may have started these strange symptoms is the anthax vaccine and other vaccines that we received. the reason why I believe that the vaccines had something to do with us soldiers getting sick is because I fell ill shortly after getting the shots but then also I shot my M16A1 assault rifle at the same time so who knows for sure? I may have touched that chemical on the weapon that I didn't clean so who cleaned it? I didn't clean it because someone else did it for me which was the Armory!

Old 06-13-2004, 07:40 AM   #14
    yanra
    Inactive

yanra HB User
    Talking Re: Has anyone experienced this??

My mom had Parkinsons. I did some research and it says something about environmental causes can cause Parkinsons. She was very allergic to things and had overly sensitive lungs. As I do. I'm wondering if the chemicals we breathe in or dust particles we react to can cause Parkinsons.

BTW, I overreact to specific mold dust that I actually get gastric spasms from inhaling that specific one. I also get asthma flareups, etc. And I get freezing cold but am sweating. This all from breathing in something my body is trying to fight off.

Oh and when I go into my small dusty library. I instantly has gastric problems and have to leave.

Last edited by yanra; 06-13-2004 at 07:45 AM.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:49 AM   #15
    Dear Maggie
    Inactive
    (female)

Dear Maggie HB User
    you said 'sore eyes'

It may only be a coincidence that you had the shots when exposed to 2-butoxyethanol. This chemical can get in the water. It can also ooze out of the containers it is in & the fumes in one's eyes is the worst exposure. Maybe there were barrels of that stuff sitting in the room or in a room you had to walk through.

This chemical is a teratogen and does cause harm to a developing fetus and thereafter, too.

You can rule it in or out based on the damage to the blood - which is the fatigue. Do you remember the exact day the fatigue started?

Next poster, yanra,
    Thanks for sharing about alergies. When you have had too much of one chemical, then other things seem to bother you more, too .... when they wouldn't have otherwise. I only focus on one chemical families' harm, so I can only speak to that. It does help me recognize many in the general public along with the gulf war vets, however, who may be similarly harmed.

Closed Thread