It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board

• warning signs of a miscarriage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #1
    HopingChris
    Veteran
    (female)

HopingChris HB User
    Question warning signs of a miscarriage?

How do you know when you are miscarrying? Are there warning signs or does it happen & you don't know it until the doctor checks you? I am concerned because I have fifth disease & I know miscarring is a possibilty from it.

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
    jmcummins3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jmcummins3 HB User
    Re: warning signs of a miscarriage?

Generally, you bleed heavily and sometimes the bleeding is accompanied or preceded by severe abdoninal cramps and/or back pain. I have never had a miscarriage, but I am pretty sure you know it when you do.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
    Sunshine709
    (female)

Sunshine709 HB User

i have had two miscarriages.. an the only symptoms that i have had is heavy bleeding and abdominal cramping but thats about it for me..im hoping and praying that this one sticks.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
    Zayazmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Zayazmama HB User

I agree that normally there is heavy bleeding, sometimes a high fever, and major (most times) cramping - much like your period type cramps but worse. Oh, and depending on how far along you are, sometimes extreme shoulder pain. I have had 2 m/c and those are the symptoms I had with them.

Try to remain positive, as hard as it may be. Ya never know. I wish you luck and will say a little prayer for ya.

Jen

Old 01-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
    HopingChris
    Veteran
    (female)

HopingChris HB User

Thank you, my baby I need all the prayers we can get.

Chris

Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
    Frynd1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Frynd1 HB User

I've had a miscarriage and mine started with spotting. Most women on here tell you that spotting isn't a cause for concern though. I was only spotting brown and it was fairly light. It turned to red a couple days later and then all of the sudden, out of no where, I started having horrible, horrible cramps. I had these cramps over a 12-hour time period and during those cramps I started passing huge blood clots. It was extremely painful for me, even after too many pain killers, and I was practically screaming the whole time. I don't mean to scare you, I'm just telling my side. I've heard some women say that their miscarriages weren't painful at all.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User

I've had 2 miscarriages! With the first one I had no symptoms that it was coming about. I stood up and I had blood everywhere. I bleed pretty heavy, but it was all normal. Went to the ob/gyn and they checked me out did an ultrasound and revealed there was no heartbeat and that the baby would most likely pass on its own. Went home and sure enough it passed the same night! Sometimes it can take a couple days to pass everything. Then with my 2nd miscarriage I started to have some spotting which lead to some pretty heavy brown discharge. Went straight to the er went thru all kinds of checks and ultrasounds they said I was probably in the beginning of another miscarriage. Went home started to have some light bright red bleeding wasn't much kept coming n goin! Followed up with my ob.gyn next day and the discharge was back to the brown stuff. Just kept up like that till the following morning when I woke up bleeding bright red and very heavy with lots of cramping. Major blood clots...was rushed to the er for hermoragging! So if you start to have any symptoms of miscarriage get to your ob office or the er so you can be checked and they know it is goin on! best wishes and I hope this won't be the case for you!!!

Old 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
    MissChicopea
    Veteran
    (female)

MissChicopea HB User

The cramping that those of you have experienced during a miscarriage. Was that prior to bleeding, during or after? The only reason I ask is because for the last three weeks I've been having really bad cramps. Originally the doctor told me I had a UTI and I was given anitbiotics. She thought that might reduce the cramps. Well, it hasn't. I get concerned that I'm going to end up miscarrying. I haven't had any spotting at all, but I still worry. They can be so bad sometimes that they take my breath away.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #9
    Kistal
    (female)

Kistal HB User

I miscarried in December. It started as brownish blood and then turned into red. Then the cramping started. I didnt miscarry until three days later. But then I was bleeding HEAVY and it hurt so bad that I couldnt move. The doc perscribed something that was what he said the strongest thing that he could give me and it didnt touch the pain!!

Old 01-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
    smash761
    (female)

smash761 HB User

How far along are you? I used to be a teacher and they told me to be careful of children who had Fifth's Disease during my first trimester, but after that you are kind of out of the dark.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 PM   #11
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User

MissChicopea, with my 1st miscarriage I didn't have any cramping until during the miscarriage. With my 2nd miscarriage I had cramping on and off the whole time I was pregnant, but was told it was normal which I think it is! When I started bleeding really heavy and it turned into hemorraging I started gettin really bad cramps kind of like what contractions feel like when you first go into labor. How far gone are you by the way? I miscarried the first time around 6-8 weeks and my 2nd one I miscarried at 14 weeks!

Old 01-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #12
    beanie_1122
    Veteran
    (female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Please try not to get to alarmed by the cramping tho! My best friend is 5 and half months pregnant and has had cramping the whole time so far and everything is fine! And the baby is doing great and is healthy!

Old 01-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
    MissChicopea
    Veteran
    (female)

MissChicopea HB User

Beanie, I'm at 6 weeks and 5 days. I've been told by the doctors that it's normal too. They explain it away as just my uterus adjusting, but I can't help but be concerned. I know it could go either way. I feel like since I found out I've been biting my nails hoping I make it to the 12 week mark. Not that it puts me in the clear completely, but as they say, your less likely to miscarry after that point.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 PM   #14
    jokerhol1
    (female)

jokerhol1 HB User

hang in there...hopefully, it is just your uterus adjusting to the pregnancy.

i had two miscarriages. the first one i was 6wks pregnant. it just got up one morning and there was heavy bleeding and clots. i didn't even realize i was pregnant until the doctor told me what was going on. my 2nd was 16wks. it started as a brown discharge and got heavier and more red. i went for an ultrasound and they concluded there was no baby just the amniotic sac left. i had to have a d&c.

i now have two healthy girls. with my first daughter, i had no bleeding or discharge of anykind. any cramps i felt, my doctor reassured me it was ligaments stretching. my 2nd daughter, i had spotting and mild cramping but that only happened when i did too much (carrying my daughter, carrying heavy groceries, running too many times up and down stairs, etc).

i hope this helps. try to stay calm, relax, put your feet up...and know you are in my thoughts for a healthy babe!

Old 01-30-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
    Frynd1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Frynd1 HB User

I didn't feel cramping until the day I passed my baby. I never saw a doctor though because I was only a senior in high school and was scared. The day I passed my baby, I was sitting in class and started feeling period cramps. It put a quesy feeling in my stomach and I ditched the rest of my classes and went home. I went to a horribly strict Catholic school though where I would have been in trouble if they knew I was pregnant! When I got home, the cramps got worse and worse and I had these urges to keep going to the bathroom. The blood clots were big enough to actually feel comming out of me. This is my second pregnancy now and I have had some cramping too, but believe me they aren't anything in comparison to when I miscarried.

Closed Thread