It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board

• D&C AND MISCARRIAGE INFO??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #1
    Noel's girl
    (female)

Noel's girl HB User
    D&C AND MISCARRIAGE INFO??

I was told by my mom that after I had my D&C done that I would become more fertile. Is that just an old wives tell or is their some truth to that? The doctor told me to wait 3 months before I try to get pregnant again because if I get pregnant in the next three months the chances of having a miscarriage or greater, so I was just curious if it is true you become more fertile so I can use extra precaution with dh if need be. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
    tamaraheiner
    (female)

tamaraheiner HB User
    Re: D&C AND MISCARRIAGE INFO??

i was also told by friends and family that i would be more fertile, but instead of fleeing from this, they told me to take advantage of it to carry a baby to term. I also asked my doctor if there is any real reason to wait, and he said that while some say to wait 3, 6, or 12 cycles, he only recommends one. and he said that is so my body can cleanse itself, get back on track, and they can easily date a pregnancy. medically, he said my chances of having a miscarriage do not increase by getting pregnant right away, so he said if we don't want to wait, we don't have to. so we're not. i don't understand why some doctors make people worry and wait for so long if there's no medical reason. but maybe your miscarriage was different and it hurt your body, so i guess do what you feel is best. I have spoken w/ lot of people, for this very concern, who have gotten pregnant after a miscarriage before having a cycle and carried a healthy baby to term.

after my miscarriage, i just want to recover and hold a baby in my arms. the sooner, the better.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
    mperrin

mperrin HB User

There is truth to that "old wife's tale". I was pregnant within two months of a D & C. The pathology report stated that I was bleeding excessively because I was not ovulating. I don't exactly remember details (it was 14 years ago). Granted, I wasn't trying, but I was definitely pregnant.

As for trying after miscarriage...I really think it depends how far along you are. If you are in your early months, the docs may say give it a go or wait a month or two just to get on track--I'm not positive. After my first miscarriage, (I was only 10 weeks) the ER doctor said that we could really try anytime. I was a bit surprised.

I am guessing that if you were further along, like six months, when you miscarried, they might have you wait a bit longer just to heal. I think each case is different and should be handled that way. You would also want to make sure your body is healthy (for yourself as well as baby) before getting pregnant. I sure hope all goes well for you and for having a baby soon.

Take care.
    ~~M

Old 11-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
    3LittleMonkeys
    (female)

3LittleMonkeys HB User

Hello, I had a "missed miscarraige." This is where your baby stops growing and dies, but you do not pass the baby. I went in for an ultrasound at 11 weeks pregnancy and I was told my baby was the size of an 8 1/2 week old baby and did not have a heart beat. One week from that date, I had a d&c. I was just curious, my doctor told me I was not allowed to have intercourse for 4 weeks after the d&c. I have also heard you aren't allowed to have intercourse 6 weeks after a d&c, so I was just wondering what is the true time you should wait after a d&c to have intercourse?

By the way, I do not know if you become more fertile after an m/c or d&c but I have heard that you do become more fertile after an m/c but I don't for sure. Although I do know that you are supposed to wait 3 months after a miscarraige to try to conceive again, because if you do conceive again and that new baby places itself in the same place that your last baby did, your chances of having another m/c are much higher. Also, I have heard that if you take Folic Acid, you become more fertile. So anyone trying to conceive should take some of that!!
    Hope I helped some of you out, thanks for reading

Old 11-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
    tglenn
    Veteran
    (female)

tglenn HB User

I had a D&C 3 weeks ago and I am waiting for my af to come and hoping that it will be my normal cramping and flow. My doctor said that some doctors still believe and tell their patients to wait 3 months b/c that is what was believed to be the best. However, she said that as soon as I have a normal cycle (meaning that it is what I was used to before becoming pg) then as long as I am emotionally ready to go ahead and try. She did however say that it could take anywhere from 1 to 4 months for my cycle to be "normal." I have heard so many different things from so many different people that I think your question is an excellent one. I have also heard that you are more fertille but have never heard that not waiting 3 months increase your chances of another mc. So do what you feel is best...you know your body better than anyone else! Best wishes!

Last edited by tglenn; 11-06-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Closed Thread