It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board

• D&C at 6weeks, or natural?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User
    D&C at 6weeks, or natural?

I was 8 weeks and 2 days when I found out my baby had died at 6 weeks. We know it was chromosonal. I'm not sure now that I've read some threads, whether I should be doing this naturally, or D&C. I see that the longer you go gestationally, the harder it gets. I'm up for a D&C, but it wasn't offered to me. Not yet at least. The doc said wait 2 weeks. But do I want to? Do I risk a trip to the hospital????? At 6 weeks the baby isn't even 1/8". So, is it possible that the pain shouldn't be so excruciating?
    Essentially........what is the medical reason for doing either at this gestational period???

I'm anxious to try again! So, the sooner I'm over this the better.

-stacey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
    kristinlee
    (female)

kristinlee HB User
    Re: D&C at 6weeks, or natural?

i had my m/c at 7 weeks. it happened naturally (i didn't know anything was wrong). but i can say it wasn't super pleasant. then again, i would've chosen it over a d&c. the worst part lasted about 2 hours, involved severe cramping (sort of like a really really really bad period cramping....or what i imagine it would feel like) and a lot of bleeding. the day after i still cramped (but much lighter) and bled fairly heavy. the cramping stopped after 2 days and the bleeding lasted 1 week. but, hospitals freak me out, so if i had the choice again, i'd still go natural. maybe you should think about what you're the most comfortable with? do you want the physical experience of seeing it happen? in some ways it sucks, in others maybe it provides a sense of closure...i dunno. maybe those who've had a d&c can give you more insight. it seems natural would have less risk of complications too, but i'm no doctor.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

I have had 5 miscarriages and have never had a D&C. Like Kristin said it's not pleasant to go through things naturally but I much prefer it over the idea of being anesthetized, my cervix unnaturally opened and my uterus scraped out(not to mention the 25% we'd have to pay that insurance doesn't cover).

It did bring closure for me to go through them. It was very difficult. My 6 week loss was like a very mini labor. I had regular contractions/cramps for four hours and things got very very intense for about 10 minutes. I got up to use the bathroom and everything passed. My symptoms had disappeared that morning and I started bleeding a few hours after I got up. Within a half an hour the cramping started.

As far as medical reasoning to go naturally, I would say because it's unnecessary since a m/c at this point gestationally is usually very straightforward and without any problems.

Medical reasoning for a D&C would be patient's mental/emotional health, patient develops a fever, patient is bleeding excessively or is having extreme pain (can't stand up straight kind of pain).

It's actually more feasible to try again sooner if you go natural since the uterus doesn't require as much healing time. After a D&C it is often recommended you wait at least three months or more. After passing everything naturally they recommend waiting only through one normal cycle.

Ultimately it comes down to how long you want to wait. The waiting is the hardest part I think. I've only had one m/c that I didn't know the baby had died. I waited two weeks to go into labor but I never did (it was a 2nd trimester loss and I requested an induction). All my others I realized I was miscarrying because I started bleeding and cramping.

I'm so sorry qt that you've had to wander over to these boards! My heart truly goes out to you. Whatever decision you make I know things will be fine.
    I hope to see you again at the preg boards again soon! Keep us posted!

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

Thank you guys!

I'm still not sure what to do. I had a D&C about 20 years ago and had no complications from it, or any ill effects - neither physical nor emotional. My thoughts on this involve emotion. I'm not sure I can mentally go through "labor pains" and not have a baby. I'm sure I'd be fine physically, but it's the emotions I worry about. On the other hand, if I would have to wait many more months to do this again I will go natural.

And I'm not sure how long this should take! If the baby died at 6 weeks, and that was 2 1/2 weeks ago, when should I start the process of expelling????

Guess I'll call the doc tomorrow and go over some of the things in my head.

Kelly.....I pray to be back on the pg board again!! I listened to your thoughts, your advice, and your wisdom. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
    Cupcake3
    (female)

Cupcake3 HB User

Speak with your Dr. about it. You may not want to have to wait too long to get it out of you.I had a D&C @ 13 weeks. It was very bad cramping / contractions. I got a D&C right away.

Iwould say the sooner the better. but you will have to wait at least 3 periods before trying again. I still have a while to go because I had a second D&C. In the mean time I am preparing my body with folic acid and vitamins.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #6
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

I thought you only needed to wait one full period before trying again???

I called the doc office today. The nurse said that it should take 7-10 days after I stopped my meds (I was on progesterone/estrogen shots and suppositores - normal protocol for IVF). I stopped on Friday. If I don't progress by Friday, I need to call and make an appt for MOnday. Then we'll discuss the option of inducing or D&C.

Not really sure I want to wait much longer

Old 07-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #7
    ASDGRMama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ASDGRMama HB User

It really depends on your dr as to when they will suggest you can try again but it's widely accepted that it is safe after one normal cycle. I have gotten pregnant twice immediately after a miscarriage and both babies were carried to term without complication (no spotting or anything).

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Old 07-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #8
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

still nothing

Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
    Hellokitty1973
    Veteran
    (female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

HI QT -

We were on the preg boards together in "Feb moms." I had some troubling news myself last week. Was supposed to be 10.5 weeks.. fetus measured 6.5 with a heartbeat of 95.. now I started spotting with light cramping last night. I have another follow up with my doc tomorrow (from last week) and I am pretty sure what the u/s is going to show. I guess anything is possible, but this is some weird spotting...

Anyway, I wanted you to know that we are going through the same thing. My doc had told me last week she could do a D&C this Friday if needed. I think I may opt for that.. emotionally, I just don't think I could take it the natural approach. I've heard it can go on for days. I feel like I just need the closure and want to move on and look ahead.

I plan on TTC as soon as my body is ready. This was my first preg and am hopeful for future success.

If you are feeling like you just can't wait for this to happen, definitely call your doc. I would feel the same way. Just waiting a week for my next dr appt has been agony.

Best of luck to you..

Old 07-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

Hello Kitty!

I am SO sorry to see you on this board too! My heart just aches for all of us. This whole thing just blows.

I'm guessing because you're at 10.5 weeks now ( I would only be 9 weeks now) and that you went natural (I went IVF) that it's time to expel and that D&C should be done. I have to wait another day just to make an appointment to find out what he wants to do. I'm hoping they just take me tomorrow to decide, so come Monday I will have either done this natural, or have a D&C scheduled for Monday. I only stopped the meds 6 days ago. My body seems to be holding on tight to the little guy. I'm barely, and I mean barely, spotting.

I'm getting more emotional as the days pass without progress. I just want to move on, get my natural AF so I can think ahead to the future.

I hope to be craving Good & Plenty's once more!

Old 07-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #11
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

So I'm now 'penciled in' for a D&C on Monday. Unless something should finally happen on it's own, that's what will be.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #12
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

still nothing. going in this eve at 6 for a D&C

Old 08-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
    Nancy005
    (female)

Nancy005 HB User

Ok Question, So you can pass your baby naturally without have to have a D&C???? I was wondering because theres a chance I could miscarry since I had complications about a month ago...I guess this thread is sort of confusing me!

Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #14
    qt314
    Veteran
    (female)

qt314 HB User

Hi Nancy,

Once you've found out your baby has passed/stopped developing, your body naturally will try to expel the contents of your uterus. This is the part where people say it's like labor pains. Depending on how far along you are will depend on how intense the pain is. For some it's just like cramping before their cervix opens and they expel (what usually looks like a blod clot at the early stages). For others it comes on like labor pains. Contractions, timed apart, and then expelling.

For me, my body just didn't want to give up the baby naturally. No bleeding, no cramping. I would have been 10 weeks along today, but found out during week 8 that the baby stopped developing at 6 weeks.

I went in for a D&E (dilation and evacuation) on Monday eve. I'm a tad achy today. Feels like really mild cramping or gas pains. Mostly my throat hurts from the tube they shove down your throat to keep the oxegen flowing.

If you know for sure that you're baby has stopped developing (via ultrasound) then you should experience a miscarriage naturally in up to 3 weeks time.

I hope that answer some of your questions. We're here if you need us.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #15
    Nancy005
    (female)

Nancy005 HB User

thanks for your reply, Ok I now understand everything. I don't think my baby has stopped developing but I don't really know till I go to the doctor again. I was having pains last night but they have stopped now, hopefully everything will be fine!

Closed Thread