It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Miscarriage & Still Birth Message Board

• Diagnosed with blighted ovum last week but no bleeding yet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
    donniejo
    (female)

donniejo HB User
    Diagnosed with blighted ovum last week but no bleeding yet

Hi, everyone

I have moved from the Pregnancy boards since I found out last week (at 9 weeks) that there was no sign of a fetus after a vaginal ultrasound. Another ultrasound the following day confirmed fetal demise and showed only about 6-week growth. I had no signs of trouble so it was a shocking development. I decided that I'd like to have a natural miscarriage even though I heard it can be very painful. However, this week, which would be my 10th week of pregnancy, I still have no signs of miscarriage. I have some occasional premenstrual cramping but no bleeding or spotting.

For those of you who have had similar experiences, I was wondering how long it took for the actual miscarriage to start.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
    Tresh
    (female)

Tresh HB User
    Re: Diagnosed with blighted ovum last week but no bleeding yet

Hello I am sorry about what is happening to you. I found out at 10wks that I had a blighted ovum and I went for a second opinion about a week later to confirm that infact it was a blighted ovum. I was schedule for a DNC about a week from that DR appt because the Dr thought I could hold off that long and be Ok but my body had other plans and I started hemmoraging before I could get the DNC and ended up with and Emergency DNC. I am not trying to scare you, because this dosen't happen to all woman. When the miscarrige process started I had cramps like a period but over the next day or two they got extremly bad, I had been in contact with the On call Dr since it was the weekend and he wasn't to concerned since i wasn't bleeding just cramping. On the day I hemmoraged the pain was real horrible and I felt like I had to push I had been in contact with the nurse at my Dr and told them how bad the pain was and she said it was because I was 12wks along so it was like labor. If you get pains real bad I would suggest going to the Dr or the Hospital to have them check you to make sure your not dialated. This was back in august of 06 and I have since became pregnant again only to have a tubal pregnancy so I know how you are feeling. I hope everything turns out ok and that i didn't freak you out.

tresh

8/06
    1/07

Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
    toscaspup
    (female)

toscaspup HB User

I, too, am sorry that this has happened to you. I know full well what you are feeling, having experienced the same thing back in July 06 (at 12 weeks), and again this month (at 8 weeks). I had a D&C after finding out both times. I asked my doctor what would have happened if it hadn't been diagnosed and he said that my body would have eventually passed it on it's own. He didn't know when, though, saying it could be in a week or even several month down the line.

There is a pill that they can give you that will help things start. My doctor did not offer the choice of doing nothing, but instead gave me the choice of the pill or a D&C. Because of the uncertainty of the pill, and the fact that I live a good hour away from any hospital in case things took a bad turn, I opted for the D&C.

Sorry I couldn't be more help in answering your question.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Old 02-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
    donniejo
    (female)

donniejo HB User

Thanks for your responses. I will make a decision very soon. I'm hoping that I'll start bleeding/spotting in the next couple of days. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to schedule a D&C.

I have an acupuncture session scheduled tonight which is supposed to help speed up the process. I hope it works. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
    toscaspup
    (female)

toscaspup HB User

I hope it works for you, too, Donniejo. I'll be thinking of you.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
    donniejo
    (female)

donniejo HB User

Just wanted to post an update. The miscarriage started yesterday, exactly two weeks after being diagnosed. It started light during the day - brown spotting, then brownish red. I had another acupuncture session last night at 7pm. Later, at around 9pm, the really bad cramping started and lasted about an hour and a half. After the cramping let up, the really heavy bleeding started, along with passage of clots/tissue. That lasted also about an hour and a half to 2 hours. I thought that was the worst of it but at 4am another strong wave of cramping started lasting about 2 hours and again followed by heavy bleeding. I finally feel ok but there are still occasional brief intense waves of cramping and bleeding/passage of clots, etc.

This is my first miscarriage and overall it was manageable but very painful. The extra strength Tylenol didn't seem to help at all. However, I just hope that now, 14 hours after it started, the worst is over.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
    toscaspup
    (female)

toscaspup HB User

Donniejo...I am so sorry that you had to go through that, but I am glad that it ended up happening naturally as you had wanted and that you didn't have to go through a D&C.

Hoping that it is all over with now. ((((((hugs))))))
    Bear the intolerable, and
    Be able to smile at anything!

Source unknown

Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
    Mantanona
    (female)

Mantanona HB User

I went in for my sonogram today, I thought I was at 12 weeks. It turns out the embryo stopped developing at around 5 or 6 weeks. My doctor wants to wait till next week to see me to discuss the possibility of DnC . I'm just so worried, it's been six weeks since the pregnancy failed and I havent miscarried yet? Is this normal. I'm now dealing with the gried of my loss and the worry about my own health. has anyone gone this long without miscarrying?

Closed Thread