HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Miscarriage & Still Birth (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/miscarriage-still-birth/)
-   -   Crazy HCG Levels - HELP???? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/miscarriage-still-birth/517509-crazy-hcg-levels-help.html)

cjwilson80 07-18-2007 02:35 PM

Crazy HCG Levels - HELP????

Ok... as some of you may know, I went into the hospital on July 8th because I was concerned I was having a miscarriage. Well, they did a blood test and my HCG levels were only at 331 (suppose to be 5 weeks pregnant). I went in on July 10th for another HCG test and the test went down to 211. I assumed that I was for sure having a miscarriage. I started bleeding some, not severe - but enough to require a tampon. That lasted about 2 days and then went back to light brown spotting. So, I went out a few times and had a drink or two with friends, etc. I went in on July 10th for a follow up HCG and my levels were back up to 418. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? Could I have gotten pregnant AGAIN??? Or does it mean it's a tubal pregnancy? I have an u/s scheduled for Monday the 23rd at 4:30 and they are going to see if they can see anything growing outside the uterus.

HELP! I'm freaking out. I've been extremely tired the last 2 days and I've got a horrible headache today. This is what happened last time before I found out I was pregnant.

Any advice?

BarbaraH 07-18-2007 03:16 PM

Re: Crazy HCG Levels - HELP????

Hi -

Somewhere online there is a site that has HCG ranges for each of the early weeks of pregnancy. You could still be pg from the original test time, having had a bit of a dip and bleeding as the placenta was gearing up or some similar reason. Now that your HCG is climbing, that chart of normal ranges may help your peace of mind. As I remember, it's easy to find by doing a search.

Fingers crossed!

Wishing you well - Barbara

prairie_dawn 07-19-2007 07:42 AM

Re: Crazy HCG Levels - HELP!!!

sorry you are going through this dear. You say you went in for july 8th then the 10 then you said again on the 10th. did you mean a different date? Sorry i am a little confused. :(

I dont think you got pregnant again. But i do think that there is a baby in there and it might be fighting. Watch what the tests show, i know someone that had that happen to her, they even did an u/s and said no baby but a week later there was one then again no then again yes. So just becareful.

cjwilson80 07-19-2007 08:08 AM

Sorry! I meant I went in on July 17th for a follow up HCG. Thats when they went up to 418. Thanks!

kelky 07-19-2007 03:23 PM

It could be a tubal, or "vanishing twin", where you get pregnant with twins, but miscarry one of them. Keep us posted.

Brooke85 07-19-2007 04:20 PM

I was wondering how you have been doing! That is really weird that your levels are doing that. The only thing you can do is wait until the u/s (I know it seems like forever). It sounds like you are about a week ahead of me and I am 6 1/2 weeks so they should be able to see a heartbeat if this is a healthy pregnancy. I don't want to give bad news but I've heard with a m/c that sometimes women't levels go down and then back up and then back down. I really didn't want to scare you, just tell you what I know and have researched online because I was going through the same thing a couple weeks ago.
Do you think they could do another blood test before the u/s to check anything? and with the ectopic pregnancy you would most likely be in a lot of pain on one side. I don't know firsthand, I've never had one, but my mom had one and she said it hurt so bad. I am hoping that all the bleeding you have had was just normal. There are times that bleeding is normal, or you may have been having a short period?? I'm not sure, but there are women out there who have periods throughout a lot of their pregnancy.

I got my first u/s at 5 1/2 weeks and all they saw was the sac and no heartbeat yet. I go in tomorrow for another one so they can hopefully see the heartbeat. I am trying not to freak out that we couldn't find one last time.

Well I really hope all is well and let us know what happens at your u/s.

prairie_dawn 07-20-2007 06:38 AM

I am not sure what this means but you were 211 7/10 and now 418 7 days later. It should be higher than that. But i have seen and heard worse numbers. Even if they dont see a sac or a heartbeat please make sure you are comfortable with saying yes to a d&c . I know someone which i have posted on other threads that went through the whole they couldnt see it they did then they didnt..... and was told to go home and wait to m/c. It was horrible. That supposed m/c wound up just turning 1 this past month. :) So Please make sure they have their t's crossed and i's dotted. Maybe its just screwy or one of those tests were wrong. I dont know but I would rather think positive than think something is wrong. 7/17 was 418 so did they do another beta thursday or today to see if the numbers are going up.? If not then DEMAND you be seen today for another beta and get your numbers checked today! If they do not then go see another dr. asap and tellthem that there might a problem and the dr. you are seeing isnt helping. Just because you have an U/S scheduled for monday doesnt mean squat if they dont check your numbers every two days. You might be 5 weeks and not see a heartbeat. or they might not hear one but that doenst mean you dont have a growing baby in there. I had my 4th which is almost a year old. When I went in for my monthly i think i was 9 weeks dr. couldnt hear the heartbeat and then again at 12 weeks. She didnt want to get heard till 14 weeks. It was scary for the dr. but i said i have been feeling her bubbles (i call it bubbles when it feels like gas) since i was 11 weeks, i know she is alive. 11 weeks is early and you wont feel it that fast, she was my 4th and i know how to tell the difference between a real gas pain a uterine movement. LOL He looked at me and said ok well we'll see what happens. they never did a u/s because there was no need. I knew my own body.

I pray that your baby is fine and thriving where he/she should inside your womb. Please make sure you get beta test done today to check if your numbers are going up properly. If dr. wont do it and says yeah we'll do it monday demand they do it today or find a new dr. and still go to the u/s on monday anyway :)

Good luck dear, I have never been through a m/c or anything like this and wont pretend to understand or say I understand what you are going through. BUT i will say I am so sorry and that i will pray this works out either way and you are healthy.

cjwilson80 07-20-2007 11:21 AM

Thanks!

I called my doctor today and told them to fax over a request to Quest diagnostics so they could do another HCG and Progesterone test. They did. I already went to Quest and had the blood drawn. I won't get my results until tomorrow, but at least it'll be sooner than Monday.

I was really shocked when I found out I was pregnant, but then I got excited. Then when the thought was taken away I got depressed. Now there is a chance again that I could have a baby. I'm so emotionally drained right now. I almost wish I hadn't found out so soon!!! :)

Thanks for your prayers. I'll keep you posted and let you know tomorrow what the numbers are.

Thanks
Courtney

CruiseMomInSC 07-21-2007 02:25 PM

Do you know if your hcg tests were sent as "stat" tests? When sent "stat" they're calculated differently. One problem that I had with tests was that if one clinic does the test the first time and it's "stat" and the second time it was either not sent "stat" or it was sent to a different lab.....they may have been calculated differently.

Not sure if that makes sense - but I went through this exact thing and it was SO stressful.

I hope that everything turns out well. Keep us posted!

Sallyx 07-24-2007 10:46 AM

Hi there,
I'm going through a problem with my HCG levels. It's only 150 and I'm supposed to be 5 weeks pregnant so they told me more than likely I am having a miscarriage. They are doing bloodwork again tomorow to see what my HCG levels are; but I've pretty much accepted what has happenned as I am also spotting. I was just reading your story and wondered how you made out with your HCG levels?