It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

Persistent weakness after mono?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
M2sky
(female)

M2sky HB User
Unhappy Persistent weakness after mono?

Hi I got Mono in March this year and all the symptoms you get like sore throat ect have gone. The doctor said I now have post viral fatigue.
The main symptoms I still have is being tired but the most worrying is feeling weak in my arms and legs. I also get tingling/ shaky sensations in them. I think it is slightly better than it was a few weeks ago but I'm worried about what it is.
Have any of you experienced this?
How long did it last?
This is getting very depressing feeling ill for so long, I have had to cancel my summer holidays and everything so far this year, it's put my life on hold.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Persistent weakness after mono?

Welcome to the boards!

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, I have had the same problems and I had mono nearly 4 years ago. It's exhausting. I have not found any answers yet, but maybe someone else will come forward with some helpful information.

Hang in there and take care.

Last edited by SOE; 07-07-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
M2sky
(female)

M2sky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE View Post
Welcome to the boards!

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Unfortunately, I have had the same problems and I had mono nearly 4 years ago. It's exhausting. I have not found any answers yet, but maybe someone else will come forward with some helpful information.

Hang in there and take care.
Hi thanks for the response, yes it's a horrible illness with not a lot of answers sadly. A lot of info online is negative and scary so I try to avoid it.
I guess it takes time but still it is worrying

The following user gives a hug of support to M2sky:
SOE (07-07-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
redraider19
(male)

redraider19 HB User

SOE, you seem to be on these forums a lot. What is your experience with mono? I tried to pm you but it won't let me until I have a certain number of posts.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraider19 View Post
SOE, you seem to be on these forums a lot. What is your experience with mono? I tried to pm you but it won't let me until I have a certain number of posts.
I got mono close to 4 years ago now (3 or 4 -- too tired to figure it out ). I kept complaining to the doctor about being tired all the time. Finally she tested me for mono and said it was a new version, but according to the test I had also had it in the past. I never knew I had it before that. I think I had it for about 6 months before she even tested me.

A couple of months after the mono I figured out I could no longer tolerate gluten, and then not long after that, I could no longer eat soy. It's said that if you carry the Celiac gene, a virus can trigger the disease in you -- so it looks like that's what happened to me.

I met a lovely woman on the mono board who had gotten mono before me. She and I are still friends, and both of us still suffer from the mono fatigue.

I also work with a woman who got mono many years ago, and she still struggles with the fatigue. She and I both have to watch how much we do. We can't get overly tired -- or we get completely knocked out again.

Frankly, I didn't even know that adults could get it.

I think it's harder on adults, and you really have to take the rest seriously.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

P.S. Welcome to the boards!

Last edited by SOE; 08-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
redraider19
(male)

redraider19 HB User

I had it two years ago and still can't shake the fatigue. I wonder how long it will last.

The following user gives a hug of support to redraider19:
SOE (08-15-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

I don't know, but I guess it just stays with some people longer. At least know you are not alone (if that helps...).

I'm hoping more people will see this thread and share their experience with the fatigue.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Bellini4
(male)

Bellini4 HB User

Anyone ever get some answers about the mono?
I was diagnosed with mono 6 months ago. No flu symptoms. 4 months ago mono test was clear. Just fatigue, brain fog, frequent clear urination, loss of coordination and libido as symptoms. Seem to be getting slightly worse but with the brain fog making me dumber it's hard to say. Also, only felt better once for a few days after battling a cold. Not sure if it's because my immune system was ramped up but it was noticeably better. Then back to regular symptoms now.
Doctors are stumped. All blood work is good. Clear CAT scan and MRI of the brain.
Any ideas of what to check next??? Hard to believe I can't find anything new to check while searching online.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bellini4:
SOE (10-10-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

Welcome to the boards. So sorry you are going through this.

I don't know -- but after I got mono, it triggered Celiac Disease in me. The symptoms I get from that (they are different for everyone) are muscle weakness and fatigue. But on top of that, I have never really gotten over the mono fatigue. I don't have the stamina I used to have, and if I try to do too much (which is not a lot), I get the mono fatigue right back.

Have you been tested for Lyme Disease?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 AM   #10
Bellini4
(male)

Bellini4 HB User

Thanks for the reply SOE.

I got checked for Lyme about a week ago. Still waiting on results.

I also tried cutting out gluten for 3-4 days with no change. Wouldn't hurt to get the doctors to check for celiac though.

It's tough to get a doctor to do much a this point. They either blame it on the mono or throw their hands up. One doctor tried to 'force' a depression diagnosis on me.

I just want the brain fog to stop. Being dumb and having a bad memory all the time is a nuisance. So, if you've got anything else I should check for let me know, Canadian health care so I'm not paying or it. Cheers.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

You can try testing for Celiac, but if it showed up after the mono, it may be too soon to test positive for it. Also, just an fyi, giving up gluten for 3 or 4 days wouldn't tell you anything. You might want to keep a food journal for awhile and write down what you eat, and if you feel any worse after. You might have developed a food allergy you are not aware of.

Don't let them push you into the depression thing. I still have doctors doing that -- it's just an easy way out for them not to try to figure things out.

You just have to stay persistent with them and keep them testing for things.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

You can try testing for Celiac, but if it showed up after the mono, it may be too soon to test positive for it. Also, just an fyi, giving up gluten for 3 or 4 days wouldn't tell you anything. You might want to keep a food journal for awhile and write down what you eat, and if you feel any worse after. You might have developed a food allergy you are not aware of.

Don't let them push you into the depression thing. I still have doctors doing that -- it's just an easy way out for them not to try to figure things out.

You just have to stay persistent with them and keep them testing for things.

Reply Reply

Tags
post viral, shaky, tingling, tired, weakness