It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

• Sharing My Mono Experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
    abraham0
    (female)

abraham0 HB User
    Sharing My Mono Experience

During the beginning of August, I began developing extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. When I would lay down for bed at night, my resting heart rate would race at a high BPM (near 130). I first noticed symptoms when I visited the gym after a small time off, ran four miles and came home to feeling just not right. My heart began to race, my right abdomen became pained, and I was shakey and couldn't sleep. The pain in my abdomen worried me, as I thought it was my appendix, so I visited the doctor, had a CT scan and found out I was just fine. Continuing to feel out of place and not myself with dizziness and malaise, I became aware of a coworker of mine having mono. I revisited my doctor and had a mono test done, only to find out that it was negative. I was given sinus medication and sent home. Symptoms continued and I revisited the doctor over and over again. My heart rate was concerning, so I was sent to a cardiologist. I wore a 30 day monitor, had an echocardiogram, and a stress test & everything came back fine. I started to chalk up my problems as anxiety, but as a healthy 22 year old who is generally happy-go-lucky and on the go, I knew something more was wrong. Finally, at the end of September, after many days off of work and dropping my semester of school, I demanded more blood tests, as I began to think it was my thyroid acting up. My doctor took TWELVE vials of blood and the nurses joked about the large amount. To my demise, I had finally found out that I had mono the entire time. A relief, yet one that couldn't be cured with medicine, unfortunately. Since I've found my diagnosis, I feel better chalking up my abnormalities as mono, but I fear of more. I'm about three months in now and I still feel fatigued and get twitchy muscles. It's hard to calm my mind of all of this. There were times where I literally thought I was dying. I feared that I wasn't ever going to be myself again. I made it through, but still have some good and some bad days. I've been told that mono can last up to a whole six months. I'm still terrified of going back to the gym, but hopefully soon. I can tell you that it does get better & I hope to continue to improve. It's not fun when you don't feel yourself and can't do daily activities. When a sickness knocks you down, stay down for a bit until you get back up. I think my perseverance at work made my mono linger longer than it needed. Should I worry about any other problems because I get the sore or twitchy/spastic muscles? I didn't have your typical mono symptoms & that just goes to show how mono can really effect everyone differently.

Last edited by abraham0; 10-28-2015 at 09:46 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to abraham0:
    SOE (10-29-2015)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Sharing My Mono Experience

Thank you for sharing your story -- and welcome to the Boards.

Everyone is different, so I can't answer the question about your symptoms. Did the doctor run a lyme disease test with some of that blood? I recently read that the test can come back with a result similar to mono so sometimes it is misdiagnosed. I only suggest that because of the muscle twitching.

Then again, if you are continuing to feel better over time, I would think it is mono and you are healing. But yes, it can take a long time.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
    abraham0
    (female)

abraham0 HB User

A Lyme disease test was ran! If it comes down to it, I'll have to ask for some reassurance in another round of blood tests. I get really sore/fatigued muscles much easier as well without any crazy activity or exercise. This just leaves me a little worried. I forgot to mention that I've gotten little itchy gives on my cheeks here and there as well.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abraham0 View Post
    A Lyme disease test was ran! If it comes down to it, I'll have to ask for some reassurance in another round of blood tests. I get really sore/fatigued muscles much easier as well without any crazy activity or exercise. This just leaves me a little worried. I forgot to mention that I've gotten little itchy gives on my cheeks here and there as well.
    I had a lot of muscle fatigue with the mono. I don't know about the cheeks thing. I have rosacea, and when it acts up it is itchy. I can't remember if it got worse during the mono...

Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #5
    abraham0
    (female)

abraham0 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOE View Post
    I had a lot of muscle fatigue with the mono. I don't know about the cheeks thing. I have rosacea, and when it acts up it is itchy. I can't remember if it got worse during the mono...
    how long did your mono last? while I'm almost sure I'll be 100% soon, it feels good to share my story with others. everyone is unique and mono is hard to deal with on your own.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abraham0 View Post
    how long did your mono last? while I'm almost sure I'll be 100% soon, it feels good to share my story with others. everyone is unique and mono is hard to deal with on your own.
    I'm not sure you should go by me, because I am older than you are. I got mono when I was 50 and it went undiagnosed for months while I kept working. I also went back to work too soon afterwards. The people I know who still struggle with the fatigue returning are all older like me.

I think you are going to be fine.

(FYI, I'm off to sleep now, so no more responses from me until tomorrow -- not ignoring you.)

Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #7
    abraham0
    (female)

abraham0 HB User

absolutely understandable! it was funny because my coworker that I believe I contracted it from just slept it off for a few days and was fine! but thank you for your help! goodnight!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Closed Thread