It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

• What is the best way to recover?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
    lagger
    (female)

lagger HB User
    What is the best way to recover?

I posted earlier. I had mono when I was 17, horribly sick!! Now it's just fatigue.

I had to cut out caffeine in October, in November into December I had EXTREME fatigue. I just figured it was due to no caffeine, but it seemed worse than cutting it out in the past.

When I was diagnosed this week (which is about 5 months of fatigue!) my doctor said to eat well, rest, and exercise to combat fatigue. My sister is being overly freaked out, looked up on Mayo site, and it said to rest. How long would I rest if I've had this for 5 months??? When does it go away?

Is anyone still ill enough to be on healthboards?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: What is the best way to recover?

No one can say how long it will last, it just depends on how long it takes to build up your immune system to the point where you can fight it off. Be sure to get enough sleep at night and rest periods during the day if needed. It's also very important to eat a healthy diet. That means getting lots of antioxidants from fresh fruits, berries, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. This diet will also give you plenty of fiber to keep your digestive system healthy.

If you happen to be on a high protein diet, like Atkins, I would stop. You need some protein but excess protein is not healthy. Excess animal protein will not help to build up your immune system. Animal protein doesn't contain any fiber, antioxidants or other important phytonutrients.

Try to get a wide variety of colored fruits and vegetables in your diet. The same goes for the other items I mentioned like whole intact grains, legumes etc.. And, of course, this means avoiding processed foods.

Last edited by JohnR41; 03-24-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
    lagger
    (female)

lagger HB User

Thank you very much!! I am doing a bit of low carb....but I don't skimp on the fruit or veggies. I'll try adding more of those into my diet. I'm concerned during this cold/flu season getting sick and getting SUPER sick with mono!! I did have one bad cold before Christmas, but it wasn't horrible. (When I went in for my blood draw Monday, the gal said that the dr office just got a memo saying that full on flu season hasn't even hit yet!!)

I've had this at least about 5 months....just didn't know it. I'm in my 40's, married, 2 kids...so far nobody else has gotten it from me.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

It's different for different people. No telling how long it will take you to get over it, but you definitely need to rest. Serious resting. Don't wear yourself out one day and rest the next day.

Your doctor is right about resting and eating healthy. Avoid sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Take a multivitamin -- it's ok to double it when you are sick, so you could take double the normal dose. Take lots of Vitamin C. Look up something called Monolaurin. I take that to boost my immune system.

P.S. I'm sick enough to be here.

Closed Thread