It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

My mono symptoms - does this sound right!?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
smm2015
(female)

smm2015 HB User
My mono symptoms - does this sound right!?

I'm a 33 yo female - 3 to 4 weeks after delivering my son, I started to feel like I was coming down with strep (get it at least once a year). With a newborn at home, I got tested right away and it was negative. I had all the signs - swollen throat, a few white spots on tonsils but not bad, extreme body aches and fatigue (hard to gauge fatigue with a new baby) and swollen lymph gland on right side of neck. Only symptom missing was a fever. My left side began to hurt. I had pressure when taking deep breaths. It gradually got better but was pretty bothersome for many weeks.

4 weeks later, I still felt sick! It was like a flu I just couldn't get over. The side pain gradually got better but still slightly lingering. My throat was still sore and I had an achy upper back and neck. Finally, I went to Doctor and she did a CBC. Two days later she said I tested positive for mono but it looked like I was at the end because my white blood cells were normal. The fatigue got worse before it got better. Again, it's so hard to gauge with a newborn. They recommended lots of rest but I've only been getting about 5 hours a day. The throat has healed although lymph gland in one side still swollen. Left side pain nearly gone but the back pain is still there. Especially when I don't get enough sleep.

Here's my question - I'm worried it's something other than mono because she said my blood tests were normal other than testing positive for mono. I'm not aware of ever having mono in the past and have never been close to someone with it but who knows when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I could have had it and never knew. I'm worried with this back ache and the pain under my left rib (which is almost gone) could be something else? The symptoms of this disease (if it truly is mono) are so strange. I feel like as some areas heal such as my throat and spleen area, I get aches in other places and am just exhausted. Our baby is now 8 weeks old. It worries me my blood counts were normal...makes me nervous it's something else. Is it possible that I am at the end stage and recovering and my blood counts are good but showing positive mono test? I'm confused. Also, anyone else with muscle aches in back with mono? Completely tired being a new mom which is adding to the worry and confusion. Please help!

The following user gives a hug of support to smm2015:
SOE (06-03-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: My mono symptoms - does this sound right!?

Hi, welcome to the boards.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like mono. The first time I had it 4 years ago, was apparently the 2nd time. The doctor said the blood tests showed old mono and current mono -- though I was never aware of it the first time. I'm just getting over it again. (I have a crappy immune system.)

I'm sure your exhaustion is a combination of being a new mother with mono on top of that. Either one of those things is exhausting all by themselves -- let alone getting slammed with both at the same time. Mono is hard to get over if you are not getting enough rest -- and it doesn't sound like you are.

I don't know if you can find a way to get more rest, more sleep, while dealing with your new baby?

Reply Reply