It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

• 9 days after mono diagnosis my son is still in agony

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
    Tnoel
    (female)

Tnoel HB User
    9 days after mono diagnosis my son is still in agony

This is about my healthy 17 year old son.. Day 1 at walk in clinic neg strep test. Given a shot and antibiotics. Day 4 he is worse. Back to clinic. Positive Mono test. Given steroids and Lortab for extreme throat pain. Day 8 pain is no better maybe worse. Saw pediatrician. Given stronger steroids and told to continue antibiotics and that he'd be better tomorrow. Day 10 went to ER for severe throat pain. His tonsils were so swollen they were touching and lymph nodes so big the airway was almost blocked. Admitted to hospital. Spent 2 days and 2 nights in hospital getting IV STEROIDS, PAIN MEDS, and antibiotics. Day 12 came home from hospital. His neck swelling has gone down. Alternating Lortab and Toradol every 3 hours. He still has severe throat pain. Doesn't want to eat or drink because it hurts. Has lost 9 pounds in 12 days. When will this end? It's killing me!

The following user gives a hug of support to Tnoel:
    SOE (08-30-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: 9 days after mono diagnosis my son is still in agony

Tnoel, welcome to the Boards.

I'm so sorry your son is going through this. It sounds really awful. He clearly has an extreme case.

Perhaps you could ask the doctor for something stronger than Lortab? Since it doesn't appear to be helping him. I did not have pain when I had mono -- I had the extreme exhaustion, but I did have a massive amount of pain when I had shingles, and for that I took Norco. It helped me tremendously. (I went to the ER because I didn't know I had shingles (didn't know what it was) and they gave me a morphine shot and sent me home with pain pills. Then my doctor gave me stronger pain pills.

It couldn't hurt to ask for something stronger. He shouldn't have to suffer so much.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
    Tnoel
    (female)

Tnoel HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOE View Post
    Tnoel, welcome to the Boards.

I'm so sorry your son is going through this. It sounds really awful. He clearly has an extreme case.

Perhaps you could ask the doctor for something stronger than Lortab? Since it doesn't appear to be helping him. I did not have pain when I had mono -- I had the extreme exhaustion, but I did have a massive amount of pain when I had shingles, and for that I took Norco. It helped me tremendously. (I went to the ER because I didn't know I had shingles (didn't know what it was) and they gave me a morphine shot and sent me home with pain pills. Then my doctor gave me stronger pain pills.

It couldn't hurt to ask for something stronger. He shouldn't have to suffer so much.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
    Tnoel
    (female)

Tnoel HB User

Thank you so much! I feel better just having someone comment. As a scared mom I feel alone. I believe he is already on Norco. The nurses referred to Lortab as Norco. Just checked on him and he rated pain level 5. Better than the 7 when we got home 12 hours ago. Had no idea mono could be this painful.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tnoel View Post
    Thank you so much! I feel better just having someone comment. As a scared mom I feel alone. I believe he is already on Norco. The nurses referred to Lortab as Norco. Just checked on him and he rated pain level 5. Better than the 7 when we got home 12 hours ago. Had no idea mono could be this painful.
    I didn't know that either! I'm glad he is feeling a little better. It must be so hard for you to watch him in pain. Hang in there, and let me know how he's doing tomorrow.

P.S., I looked up Lortab and Norco. If I read it correctly, Lortab has more of the tylenol in it. But they sound very similar.

Last edited by SOE; 08-29-2016 at 11:20 PM.

Closed Thread