It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

• Chronic Adult Mononucleosis/Epstein Barr Virus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
    smaps000
    (female)

smaps000 HB User
    Chronic Adult Mononucleosis/Epstein Barr Virus

I am 49 years old and have Chronic Adult Mononucleosis. The first time I acquired mono was my sophomore year of high school,in which I missed 23 days of school that year. I battled flare-ups through college, and the past 27 years teaching high school. I have one son and when I was pregnant with him and working full time as a teacher, I was generally completely worn out 24/7. Needless to say, I chose not to have another child. I rarely made it through a school year without being ill every season of the year through my 30's and 40's. One of the best things I feel I did for my immune system is get an endometrial ablation in my mid-40's. Following that procedure, I noticed that I could go as long as 9 months to a year without another flare-up. Just this past week, I was knocked down with it, again. I only missed one day of work, and was given Methylprednisolone for my inflamed throat, which helped me get back to work the following day (after sleeping all day and the entire previous weekend). But I am struggling. I could sense this coming two weeks ago, as I realized that no matter how much sleep I was getting, I was not waking up feeling rested. I take multivitamins, and am on no prescription medication. I am wondering if anybody can give me some advice on what herbal remedies and additional vitamin supplements as well as food changes have helped them. I would like to do all I can to avoid prescription medications. I am also in a (classroom) setting in which I am easily re-infected because, as my doctor has informed me, the Epstein-Barr Virus is virtually "everywhere". Additionally, since I am a teacher, can anyone tell me what you do about "brain fog" that comes with the onset of flare-ups? Finally, I am sometimes diagnosed with streptococcal bacteria (strep throat) and sometimes not. Is there a clear way to determine via symptoms if I indeed do have strep or if I just have a "mono" throat? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: Chronic Adult Mononucleosis/Epstein Barr Virus

Hi Smaps! Welcome to the boards. I'm so sorry I missed your post. I've actually been down with pneumonia.

I feel for you. I've had mono 3 times in adulthood. I don't completely understand the EBV virus, but I think it stays in your system. At least in mine it seems to always turn up in blood tests. I don't know how you have dealt with this for so long.

Have you been to an Immunologist? It seems like he/she should be doing something to beef up your immune system? (Although I'm seeing one now and he's still figuring out what's wrong with my immune system, before he can "treat" it.)

I have another doctor I see ocassionally, but he's not part of my insurance so I can't do much with him. But he offers different kinds of IVs to help the immune system. Like Vit C IVs, and Glutathione. I did a few and they did help. Maybe you could look for a doctor who does more natural type stuff like this?

Last edited by mod85; 11-25-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Closed Thread