It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

• A few questions about mono

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
    89tjr
    (male)

89tjr HB User
    A few questions about mono

Firstly I don't have mono (yet...), but a girl I was seeing came down with it last month so I have a few questions for people in the know.

- Do I pose a risk to others without having any symptoms/after the incubation period?

- Is it safe to assume after 2 months after being in contact that I won't come down with it? I first kissed her about 5/6 weeks ago

- Can a doctor test to find out if I'm immune to it?

Touch wood I don't come down with it, but I'm curious about it.

Thanks!

Travis

Last edited by 89tjr; 01-03-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

Hi

I think if you were going to get mono, you would have gotten it by now. However it is possible that you got the EBV Virus (which is where mono comes from). Healthy people can carry it and spread it without every knowing they have it.

I don't think your doctor can tell you whether or not you are immune, but he can do a blood test to see if you carry the EBV Virus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 89tjr View Post
    Firstly I don't have mono (yet...), but a girl I was seeing came down with it last month so I have a few questions for people in the know.

- Do I pose a risk to others without having any symptoms/after the incubation period?

- Is it safe to assume after 2 months after being in contact that I won't come down with it? I first kissed her about 5/6 weeks ago

- Can a doctor test to find out if I'm immune to it?

Touch wood I don't come down with it, but I'm curious about it.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
    89tjr
    (male)

89tjr HB User

Thanks very much for the insight!

I'm mainly asking since I'm not sure when I can get back into dating people? I certainly don't want to put anyone at risk, but at the same time I don't want to wait around for months on end if I don't come down with it.

Travis

Last edited by 89tjr; 01-03-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'd say you could probably start dating again. But you might want to get the blood test to find out if you are carrying the virus now.

Quote:
    Thanks very much for the insight!

I'm mainly asking since I'm not sure when I can get back into dating people? I certainly don't want to put anyone at risk, but at the same time I don't want to wait around for months on end if I don't come down with it.

Travis

Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
    89tjr
    (male)

89tjr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOE View Post
    I'd say you could probably start dating again. But you might want to get the blood test to find out if you are carrying the virus now.
    Unfortunately I did come down with mono, although the worst of it now appears to be over and I'm well enough to work again. The main symptoms lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

My doctor said I'm potentially contagious until I start feeling better, but what would constitute as "better" exactly? I don't feel 100% at the moment since I'm still somewhat fatigued, but since people can feel fatigue for quite some time after I'm not quite sure when I'd be able to date again?

I know it's impossible to give a proper answer since mono depends on the person, but I'm just worried about infecting others...

The following user gives a hug of support to 89tjr:
    SOE (01-31-2017)
    Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm sorry to hear that you caught it after all. I had it for months -- and I know everyone is different.

I think your doctor would have the best answer about when you can safely date again.

Sorry to not be more helpful. I hope you heal quickly!!

Quote:
    Unfortunately I did come down with mono, although the worst of it now appears to be over and I'm well enough to work again. The main symptoms lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

My doctor said I'm potentially contagious until I start feeling better, but what would constitute as "better" exactly? I don't feel 100% at the moment since I'm still somewhat fatigued, but since people can feel fatigue for quite some time after I'm not quite sure when I'd be able to date again?

I know it's impossible to give a proper answer since mono depends on the person, but I'm just worried about infecting others...

Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
    89tjr
    (male)

89tjr HB User

Thanks very much for the response!

I have a blood test in a few weeks to see how my liver is doing, so I'll ask again for clarification then.

Thankfully I'm getting better with each passing day and I'd say I'm roughly back to full health, but it's hard to say at times!

The following user gives a hug of support to 89tjr:
    SOE (02-05-2017)
    Closed Thread