It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Mononucleosis Message Board

  • A few questions about mono

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
    89tjr
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    89tjr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: California
    Posts: 8
    89tjr HB User
    A few questions about mono

    Firstly I don't have mono (yet...), but a girl I was seeing came down with it last month so I have a few questions for people in the know.

    - Do I pose a risk to others without having any symptoms/after the incubation period?

    - Is it safe to assume after 2 months after being in contact that I won't come down with it? I first kissed her about 5/6 weeks ago

    - Can a doctor test to find out if I'm immune to it?

    Touch wood I don't come down with it, but I'm curious about it.

    Thanks!

    Travis

    Last edited by 89tjr; 01-03-2017 at 01:07 AM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 01-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Posts: 2,382
    SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

    Hi

    I think if you were going to get mono, you would have gotten it by now. However it is possible that you got the EBV Virus (which is where mono comes from). Healthy people can carry it and spread it without every knowing they have it.

    I don't think your doctor can tell you whether or not you are immune, but he can do a blood test to see if you carry the EBV Virus.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 89tjr View Post
    Firstly I don't have mono (yet...), but a girl I was seeing came down with it last month so I have a few questions for people in the know.

    - Do I pose a risk to others without having any symptoms/after the incubation period?

    - Is it safe to assume after 2 months after being in contact that I won't come down with it? I first kissed her about 5/6 weeks ago

    - Can a doctor test to find out if I'm immune to it?

    Touch wood I don't come down with it, but I'm curious about it.

    Thanks!

     
    Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
    89tjr
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    89tjr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: California
    Posts: 8
    89tjr HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

    Thanks very much for the insight!

    I'm mainly asking since I'm not sure when I can get back into dating people? I certainly don't want to put anyone at risk, but at the same time I don't want to wait around for months on end if I don't come down with it.

    Travis

    Last edited by 89tjr; 01-03-2017 at 01:07 AM.

     
    Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Posts: 2,382
    SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

    I'd say you could probably start dating again. But you might want to get the blood test to find out if you are carrying the virus now.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 89tjr View Post
    Thanks very much for the insight!

    I'm mainly asking since I'm not sure when I can get back into dating people? I certainly don't want to put anyone at risk, but at the same time I don't want to wait around for months on end if I don't come down with it.

    Travis

     
    Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
    89tjr
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    89tjr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: California
    Posts: 8
    89tjr HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SOE View Post
    I'd say you could probably start dating again. But you might want to get the blood test to find out if you are carrying the virus now.
    Unfortunately I did come down with mono, although the worst of it now appears to be over and I'm well enough to work again. The main symptoms lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

    My doctor said I'm potentially contagious until I start feeling better, but what would constitute as "better" exactly? I don't feel 100% at the moment since I'm still somewhat fatigued, but since people can feel fatigue for quite some time after I'm not quite sure when I'd be able to date again?

    I know it's impossible to give a proper answer since mono depends on the person, but I'm just worried about infecting others...

     
    The following user gives a hug of support to 89tjr:
    SOE (01-31-2017)
    Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Posts: 2,382
    SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

    I'm sorry to hear that you caught it after all. I had it for months -- and I know everyone is different.

    I think your doctor would have the best answer about when you can safely date again.

    Sorry to not be more helpful. I hope you heal quickly!!


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 89tjr View Post
    Unfortunately I did come down with mono, although the worst of it now appears to be over and I'm well enough to work again. The main symptoms lasted for about 2-3 weeks.

    My doctor said I'm potentially contagious until I start feeling better, but what would constitute as "better" exactly? I don't feel 100% at the moment since I'm still somewhat fatigued, but since people can feel fatigue for quite some time after I'm not quite sure when I'd be able to date again?

    I know it's impossible to give a proper answer since mono depends on the person, but I'm just worried about infecting others...

     
    Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
    89tjr
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    89tjr's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2011
    Location: California
    Posts: 8
    89tjr HB User
    Re: A few questions about mono

    Thanks very much for the response!

    I have a blood test in a few weeks to see how my liver is doing, so I'll ask again for clarification then.

    Thankfully I'm getting better with each passing day and I'd say I'm roughly back to full health, but it's hard to say at times!

     
    The following user gives a hug of support to 89tjr:
    SOE (02-05-2017)
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!