It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

Elderberry and vitamins

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
wozniack
(female)

wozniack HB User
Smile Elderberry and vitamins

I have been reading good things about elderberry. Has anyone ever taken it for mono? If so, about how long did you take it before your symptoms started to improve?

I have reached the 4 1/2 month mark with mono, and am hoping to knock it out by mid-August. I started taking Vitamin B-12 in addition to my daily multi-vitamin a week ago. Is there anything else I should be taking? Thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-01-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Elderberry and vitamins

I don't know anything about Elderberry, but I took as much Vitamin C as my body could stand. Whatever your body doesn't use, it just flushes out -- so you can't take too much. Also many people recommend coconut oil. I take Monolaurin.

The key is still rest though. If you are not getting enough rest, it can prolong your recovery. I know it did for me because I had to go back to work much sooner than I would have preferred.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
wozniack
(female)

wozniack HB User

I try to get in a lot of Vitamin C. I will look into coconut oil and Monolaurin. Thanks! How long did you have mono?

My biggest problem is a lack of sleep. I live in a noisy environment and am a light sleeper, which is a pretty bad combination. I sleep normal hours, but there is always someone up from 1:00-3:00 a.m. or 1:00-7:00 a.m. (they work at night which explains the late night hours). They sometimes are home during these hours cooking and doing whatever else, and the noise keeps me up.

I slept no more than 1 hour and 45 minutes last night due to noise and the AC going out again, which made it very hot. I wear ear plugs, but the ear plugs do not drown out talking and other sounds (cooking, loud noises, etc.). We also have pets; if they or somebody else wake me up, I have a hard time falling back asleep.

Lately, I have been having dizzy spells and have felt super tired every day. I can sleep 6 to 6 1/2 hours some nights, and only feel like I have slept 1 all day. Still experiencing the widespread body aches and pains too. The aches and pains worsen without proper rest. Not sure how to tackle that problem.

Last edited by wozniack; 07-06-2017 at 03:26 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to wozniack:
SOE (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

I had it for several months and the fatigue lasted a very long time. I wonder if you should ask your doctor to give you something to help you sleep? Sleep is so important to your recovery. I don't think you're getting enough sleep, added to the fact you keep getting woken up.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
wozniack
(female)

wozniack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE View Post
I had it for several months and the fatigue lasted a very long time. I wonder if you should ask your doctor to give you something to help you sleep? Sleep is so important to your recovery. I don't think you're getting enough sleep, added to the fact you keep getting woken up.
I don't think I am getting enough sleep. This past week, I have gotten about 4 1/2 hours sleep each night. 2 nights ago I only slept a little over 3 hours, but last night I got 7 full hours in. I would have slept even longer than that had my cat not woken me up! She cries all the time, which is another problem. Once she wakes me up, I have a hard time falling back asleep.

I had a doctors appointment scheduled for last month, but I am going to cancel it since I cannot get health insurance until November; I didn't qualify for this "Special Enrollment" program that so many of these insurance companies are offering, and I was told I had to wait until November. When I see the doctor again in November, I will ask about some sort of sleep medication.

I took Hydroxyzine for anxiety 10 years ago, and I remember it knocking me out. My fear though is staying awake due to noise even if I take a pill for sleep... Seems like I would just pass out, but if I am distracted by too many noises, it can interfere with my sleep.

As for the mono, I plan on getting tested at CVS next month, and while I'm there I am going to ask about getting a flu shot. I always get my flu shot in October-November, but with flu season starting in September, and my immune system weakened by the mono, it may be smart to get it in early September.

I just worry about how safe it is though... Some people say the flu shot is dangerous if you have mono while others have encouraged people to get it. I'm hoping it goes dormant next month, or that since I will be further along with the mono by then that I can get the shot. I really do not want to get the flu!

I just wanted to give you an update, and respond to your post. Thank you for the hug~!! *hugs back*

Last edited by wozniack; 07-21-2017 at 04:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to wozniack:
SOE (07-21-2017)
The Following User Says Thank You to wozniack For This Useful Post:
SOE (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

Hang in there. Keep trying to get enough rest, and hopefully you'll get back on insurance quickly. I don't know how about the flu shot. They say you can't get sick by it, but I've seen people get sick -- so who knows. Maybe ask the pharmacist what he/she thinks about it.

Reply Reply