It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mononucleosis Message Board

17 yo with "unusual antibody profile".

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
frazzledinptc
(female)

frazzledinptc HB User
17 yo with "unusual antibody profile".

I took my 17 yo son in to the doctor for weight loss, lack of appetite, and fatigue. We have just gotten the results of the antibody panel. The doctor equivocated and said that it possibly showed a recent, but inactive, infection. I asked for the results to be sent to me and this is what I received:

EBV VCA IgM <.9 Negative

EBV VCA IgG <.9 Negative

EBV Nuclear Ag Ab 4.18 (High) Over 1.10 is Positive

Interpretation Comments: No definitive interpretation can be made. This specimen exhibits an unusual antibody profile.

We are still very concerned about his recent weight loss (10 pounds in a month). If the mono tests don't indicate a recent infection that would explain the weight loss, we want to keep looking for an answer. If it's a recent mono infection, we will just be patient.

Does anyone have any insight for us?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: 17 yo with "unusual antibody profile".

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazzledinptc View Post
I took my 17 yo son in to the doctor for weight loss, lack of appetite, and fatigue. We have just gotten the results of the antibody panel. The doctor equivocated and said that it possibly showed a recent, but inactive, infection. I asked for the results to be sent to me and this is what I received:

EBV VCA IgM <.9 Negative

EBV VCA IgG <.9 Negative

EBV Nuclear Ag Ab 4.18 (High) Over 1.10 is Positive

Interpretation Comments: No definitive interpretation can be made. This specimen exhibits an unusual antibody profile.

We are still very concerned about his recent weight loss (10 pounds in a month). If the mono tests don't indicate a recent infection that would explain the weight loss, we want to keep looking for an answer. If it's a recent mono infection, we will just be patient.

Does anyone have any insight for us?

I don't know how to read the results, but the doctor said recent infection. I don't think it matters if it is inactive. I was diagnosed with mono over a year ago and I am still dealing with fatigue even though my antibodies are better. The effects of mono can last a long time.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
tartuffe
(male)

tartuffe HB User
Re: 17 yo with "unusual antibody profile".

Hi,
I got the exact same results today. I am puzzled. In my case Im 25y/o male. I have had a fatigue episode a few months ago, associated with a testosterone drop and a hair loss. It all started with a tenderness in my armpits. The endocrinologists I met were all clueless, so I decided to do my own research and found that it could be linked to mono. Now that I have the results, I still dont know whether I caught mono or not.

I would be very interested to know what the conclusion was for your son.

Thanks for letting me know.

Closed Thread