It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Relatives and people suffering MS

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #1
    TupsyMarie
    (female)

TupsyMarie HB User
    Question Relatives and people suffering MS

Was just wandering if anyone wanted to talk about there experience with Multiple Sclerosis whether you have MS or know someone who does. Any advice you might have for me or my mom would be great. Or if you just want to share your story. A little background from me I do not have Multiple Sclerosis but My mom has been diagnosed with relapsing and Remitting multiple sclerosis for about twelve years and my grandmother had Multiple sclerosis also.My grandmother passed away due to complications in 1970 when my mom was six years old. Also my best friends mom died when we were in middle school from MS. So in short i have been around it but never really had anyone to talk to about it. (Sorry for the long post)

Last edited by TupsyMarie; 04-01-2015 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Thought of better way to phrase it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: Relatives and people suffering MS

TupsyMarie,

Welcome.

Sorry to hear of your Mom's situation. MS is not fatal. MS is chronic. As we age and our disease progresses, MS linked accidents can happen and those results can be fatal. That said, I have been Progressive for 38+ years now. I have no immediate departure plans

MS can be predisposed to developing in some families, but no genetic links have ever been found.

There are any books with information available to families of MSers. Much of the information is to dispel the myths, quackeries, and stereotypes which the media has perpetuated and even continues to perpetuate on TV and in movies.

MS is not a career ending predicament. While MSers were once relegated to disability and no careers, nowadays over 2/3rds of MSers continue to enjoy careers.

If you read through the threads herein, you can find a treasure trove of stories. There is also a forum for caregivers which might help you. Your local MS Association or society also has information which can help you better understand MS.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask. If your Mom needs to have a support mechanism or needs a place to share or rant, please invite her to this site too. Thank you for sharing.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    TupsyMarie (04-01-2015)
    Old 04-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
    TupsyMarie
    (female)

TupsyMarie HB User

Thanks msjayhawk something else i was wandering do you happen to know if people with relasping and remitting MS typically have problems getting disability my mom has been trying for 2 years now ( she can barely walk now and has almost no short term memory). Her problem is when she has an appointment for it she is normally in remission so her symptoms are better than normal. But i know from being with her day to day she wouldn't be able to work at this point. (As you can see i really care about my mom so i am trying to find out as much as I can)

Old 04-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

TupsyMarie,

Your mom needs to work with her doctor. If they go through the process, your mother's doctor will play an integral role in the claim. Also the claim processing varies by state. There is a boar on this site which can help guide your mother in navigating the system.

Before I filed, I went to the SSA website and pulled up the information required for MS specifically. If she uses an attorney, the attorney will take a portion of the lump sum. When I was filing, this limit was $4000 for the attorney. I would encourage you to check the SSA website as well as the disability insurance board.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI there. Thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately, its highly unlikely that with R/R MS she will qualify for dissability. Unfortunately, the beurocrats see it as something that can be worked around- and for the most part it can be. Accomodations can be made- and a person cannot lose their job due to the illness.
    HOwever, based on what you said, is it possible that your moms illness has progressed to something else? Ive had MS for almost 11 years, and I havent porogressed at all, still work 60 hours a week- but Im very fortunate.

You really do need her to work with her doctor and also possibly consult a dissabilities attorney.
    Best of luck to you!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
    TupsyMarie
    (female)

TupsyMarie HB User

Not sure if her MS has progressed to something else...but i think the fact that she has not been able to take any meds for it since she was laid off about 5 years ago and she has no health insurance either so aside from the exam to try to get disability she hasn't been able to see a doctor.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

TupsyMarie,

The meds are supposed to slow down the disease progress, but there is no cure and the meds available are not going to stop symptoms. For me, meds have never been part of my MS journey. I have found that learning to moderate my life and to avoid triggers has helped me. As to the insurance predicament, been there and done that....it is not easy.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
    Okie gal
    (female)

Okie gal HB User

Hi there,

With your mom out of work for so long and with no insurance, has she checked to see if she qualifies for Soonercare? It's worth a try to maybe help her get some financial assistance for seeing a neurologist again. You can research the guidelines by googling it. Or maybe she has tribal membership and can visit Indian Health Care?

I'm just thinking of the different options we have for the residents in our state.

Closed Thread

Tags
    mult sclerosis