It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• MS or something else?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
    fallenphoenix
    (female)

fallenphoenix HB User
    MS or something else?

Hiya folks, merry christmas!

I'm waiting on an MRI for brain and spine, since seeing my neurologist for the first time a couple of weeks ago. When I suggested it could be a trapped nerve, she shook her head.

What's going on is... nearly a year ago my back kicked off really badly with muscle spasms, my left leg went heavy and useless and numb on the front of it, but the doctor said it was just scarring in my back muscles and sent me away telling to take ibruprofen (which it says in my medical notes i am allergic to).

The year before I had my left hand and arm vibrating, and also a muscle at the front of my hip, which turned me into a giant vibrator. Doctor claimed it was lithium, but the left hand vibrating thing had started before i started taking lithium. No-one believes a mental patient though, clearly. (I have bipolar disorder). My left hand had been weakened and painful for several years before this.

Then I got double vision up close only, up to about 15 feet, for a few months. Then the back and leg thing happened.

Next, last summer, the right side of my face went totally numb, twice, but was fine the next day each time. Then, a few months ago I realised the top of my left foot was numb, when it started itching but i couldn't scratch it, couldn't feel it. the feeling has almost come back in it, there's just a patch that tingles nerve type feelings when i touch it. One night my left leg went nuts, jerking around all over the place, freaked me out to hell. My back and hip has gone numb on the left side, too.

My right leg just jerks up, feels like something small has touched the sole of my foot. Numbness comes and goes in my left leg, and it has good and bad days, to the point I've borrowed a car with an automatic gear box from a friend as I struggle to lift my foot off the clutch.

After the neurologist discarded the idea of a trapped nerve that the gp had suggested brightly, I properly looked up MS, having already suspected for some time. I then found that the sudden pressure/pain running horizontally across my back for a few seconds then goes away resembled an "MS Hug" rather than trapped nerve. I tried looking up and realised it hurt my eyeballs. They often have a background ache, and my eyesight is highly variable.

But then a friend spoke to his friend, who got facial numbness from a trapped nerve in her spine, and all sorts of neuropathy down her arms and legs. I just want to know, but I also want my life as I know it not to be over. I live on a boat with 2 dogs and a cat. I play piano and sing, and I live to race cars. I am a traveller, moving from place to place on my boat. My work is with computers so that's no real issue. My boat weighs 14 tons and it takes a lot of strength to pull her in and moor her, let alone getting in and out of small hatches and big steps. This is my life. I love my life.

Can it not be MS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: MS or something else?

fallenphoenix,

Welcome.

Your "MS Hug" was not an MS Hug insomuch as you indicted that it lasted a short time and disappeared. MS symptoms are persistent and linger. I would not ignore the symptom, but I would divide your symptoms into short and long term. MS Symptoms usually remain for 24+ hours. The MS Hug is literally a hug like banding.

Your MRI, whatever the results, will not confirm or deny MS. Your neurologist needs to use the Revised McDonald Criteria in determining what is affecting you. MS like symptoms can vary and there are over 400 known MS mimicries. Could you have MS? Certainly. If you have MS like symptoms, you have a 1:400 chance of having MS. The final diagnosis for MS can only be properly made when all the mimicries are eliminated, then the doctor would compare your results to the Revised McDonald Criteria.

When you begin reading about MS, the human mind can be affected and you may develop stress or anxiety as thoughts fill your mind. Sometimes the "persuasion" can overwhelm. While I am not telling you that you have MS nor am I telling you to dismiss MS, what I am saying is that because there is no specific test for MS, the diagnostic process can require time. Your intuition is more often than not, accurate. As a woman, your intuition is more accurate than the male species (research proven).

IF you have MS, you might need to adjust your lifestyle a bit, but it does not mean a cloistered life. Lay aside your worries, after 39+ years of MS, I would tell you that your good days outnumber your bad days. Having MS does not mean you have to give it all up. There are adaptive equipment which can assist you with your boating. Playing piano? No worries. Your pets? They are the most non-judgmental creatures, especially when you have a chronic condition.

Give yourself some room and let the doctors do all the worrying. Thank you for taking time to share herein. Stay strong and may your boat be ever on even keel.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Last edited by MSJayhawk; 12-26-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
    fallenphoenix (12-26-2015)
    The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    fallenphoenix (12-26-2015)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    back ache, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, neuropathy, numbness