It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• moving between different climates

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
    shahila
    (female)

shahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB Usershahila HB User
    moving between different climates

Hi all. I used to post here before- 2years ago. This community especially two of the people were of extreme help (Jayhawk, Nik). I have you in mind and I really hope you are doing well.
    I wanted to share this update, hope this is useful to others, because the subject was my question few years ago.
    I used to live in Sydney. The weather is humid and warm. In Winter, it is humid and mild. Because I was used to that weather, I used to think the humid/warm is the best for me. But in 2014-early 2015, I was in the process of moving to new countries. For my job, I can't decide (not many options) and I have to be open. I was afraid of moving to cold climate. Eventually I accepted an offer in UK. In my surprise, from the first days I felt better under the cloudy sky. I felt I can walk and the sun doesn't attack me. I am not fully well but my muscle pains have been considerably less. In the past 2 years, I once went to California for few weeks and again I felt sun and light makes me tired.
    This was such a discovery for me.
    Best wishes for everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
    Re: moving between different climates

Hi shahila,

That's awesome you are doing better in the cloudy cooler climate

This doesn't surprise me as I did better in cooler/colder weather than warmer/hot. I would come alive with more energy and less fatigue in cool/cold.

Be aware that what you are experiencing in the new climate can change. I have always been heat intolerant so I feel in love with how I felt in fall, winter and early spring. For several years now I am both heat and cold intolerant so I no longer have that "come alive" feeling in cooler/cold climate.

It is not uncommon to become both heat and cold intolerant with MS. I do hope you never experience this part of MS, but I did want to make you aware that it can happen.

Enjoy your new climate!

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy61 For This Useful Post:
    shahila (04-06-2017)
    Old 03-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Shahila,

Its great to hear from you and I am so happy to hear you are doing well!

I have the exact same issues....I live on the East Coast of US and my state in particular is known for its oppressive humidity. Every summer I suffer and spend the entire summer inside, in the airconditioning. Each winter, it is like being reborn! We get ALLOT of snow and the weather is usually below freezing for at least 4 months...during this time, I feel TERRIFIC!

Heat sensitivity does affect many MSers, although some claim that the cold hurts them as well. Not me, and it looks like not you either! I am already making plans for in ten years when I can sell my home (my husband will retire) and my kids are out on their own- to move to a cooler climate where it never goes above 75 degrees! I watch the weather channel several times a day to plan my week...never venturing to make plans for those hot or humid days when I know I will have muscle spasms and my energy will be zapped.

So glad to hear you havent forgotten us and that everything worked out well for you! California is nice, but unless you were in the most Northern part of the state where the weather is more forgiving, probably not the best place to go on holiday for us MSers! I hope you are loving your new job and new home!

MSNik

The following user gives a hug of support to MSNik:
    shahila (04-06-2017)
    The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    shahila (04-06-2017)
    Old 03-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #4
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Shahila,

I recently shifted residence to Arizona. For me, the lack of humidity has really helped me. I have found that the heat tolerance is higher without the humidity.

Some times it is a welcome to MSers to change climates. I hope you make a positive change. I enjoy cloudy days versus clear and sunny days. When it heats up in AZ, I still stay indoors until early evening.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

The following user gives a hug of support to MSJayhawk:
    shahila (04-06-2017)
    The Following User Says Thank You to MSJayhawk For This Useful Post:
    shahila (04-06-2017)
    Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
    shahila
    (female)

Thank you dear Jayhawk. It is so true. I am happy AZ climate is good to you. Many of my colleagues are surprised when i say i like cloudy weather. This fall, I used yellow colour papers and pictures around home and office to create the visual effect of sun. It really helped.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
    shahila
    (female)

Thanks dear Nik.
    I love these future plans
    I really enjoy my work and my city. But, one day I will move again.
    yes. I spent some time in south, San Diego and few days in Anaheim. Anaheim (more north) was better for me in terms of weather.
    I wish you a great evening.Best

Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
    shahila
    (female)

oh dear yes. there are possibilities. thanks for sharing your experience.
    i hope a reverse cycle happens for us

Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
    abigelow13
    (female)

abigelow13 HB User
    Smile Re: moving between different climates

Hi Shahila,

I am very confused by the whole weather thing. I live in Seattle where it rains quite a bit! I'm talking from September to May. So pretty much I'm stuck in gloomy weather which seems to be grand for my MS, but I'm told to get 15 minutes of sun exposure per day. So I'm wondering how that works. Is it stay in or get out! I am so confused by this all!

Old 04-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
    Snoopy61
    Inactive
    (female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hi abigelow13,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abigelow13 View Post
    So pretty much I'm stuck in gloomy weather which seems to be grand for my MS, but I'm told to get 15 minutes of sun exposure per day. So I'm wondering how that works. Is it stay in or get out! I am so confused by this all!
    You have Multiple Sclerosis?

In MS, vitamin D levels are important, when we are in the sun we are getting vitamin D. However, even being in the sun doesn't necessarily help what we may need.

It would be a good idea to have a blood test to check your vitamin D level. If deficient or in the low end of normal vitamin D supplements are helpful. Your D level should be monitored with blood work every 6 months to a year.

My Neurologist prefers my D level between 70-80. I currently use a prescription D as my D level was consistently staying deficient even at 5000iu of vitamin D.

I spent a lot of time outside one summer and late summer had my D levels checked --- I was deficient.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
    shahila
    (female)

Hi abigelow13, my colleague from seattle says the weather in uk (north) is just like seattle. i agree with you that this weather is wonderful.
    dont be confused. it is simple and these r two different things.
    first, lack of vitamin D is very serious and exacerbates problems. even some studies say lack of D creates the condition for MS.15 min sun is fine! Snoopy61 explained in detail about your D levels.

second, when ppl get inflammatory illness like MS, sun + humidity cause inflammation (no surprise), and that is what creates fatigue and all the bad feelings.

So you have the privilege of spending 15 min in sun (if you find) knowing the overall weather will not exacerbate your condition. best wishes

Reply Reply