It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Need someone to tell me this will be okay ... because I'm scared.

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
firemom31
(female)

firemom31 HB Userfiremom31 HB User
Need someone to tell me this will be okay ... because I'm scared.

On Feb 25th I had a nasty fall. I landed hard on my knee and then with my arm under my side. I felt excruciating pain in my lumbar spine when my knee hit the floor. I had hubby put a pillow under my head until I could get oriented and get up. My knee swelled, my rib cage was very painful, back just a little ouchy. I took some Advil and went to bed. In the morning it all felt about the same, so I took some more Advil and went to work. This might be a good time to add that I was just returning to work after being down 10 days with the flu. All the week my knee got better, ribs stayed the same, but my back hurt worse daily. On Saturday morning, I couldn't get out of bed without help, so I went to urgent care. They did xrays and said I had several broken ribs and something going on with my back but they couldn't tell without an MRI. I also had a low pulse ox and a lot of residual fluid in my lungs from the flu. He put me on an antibiotic since I can't cough stuff up, put me on a prednisone dose-pack, and gave me pain meds. Said if I wasn't better in a couple days to come back. I went home and got back on the ice. The pain in my back just kept getting worse, I was awake all night. I started having fasciculations up and down my right leg, tremors returned. When I tried to get up the pain was unbearable. I was taken back to urgent care, they sent me to the hospital ER. They did a CT and said I was fine, but "You might want to get an mri." Gave me stronger pain meds. I am in worse shape right now than I've ever been. It seems like this fall has invited all my MS symptoms at once. I have to use a walker. I'm one giant tremor. Would an injury cause a flare? If it is a flare, will it subside as my ribs and back heal? It's very scary to from working one day to almost bedridden the next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
MSJayhawk
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Need someone to tell me this will be okay...because I'm scared.

Prayers for you. Any kind of trauma can trigger symptoms as it is a stress on out bodies. Broke my ankle last year and went through symptoms but I have PPMS and have daily symptoms. Still I think the symptoms were triggered by your trauma. Personally for me my back pain does best with heat. But you should ask your doctor if you can try it. Take time and rest it will get better

Old 03-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #3
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Need someone to tell me this will be okay ... because I'm scared.

Hi I hope you feel better soon. The fact that they put you on a steroid dose pack is the only thing that might help prevent you from having a full fledged flare.
My opinion? You were already weak from being sick...and this is one nasty bug going around..you had a bad fall....you broke ribs....and now you are overwhelmed and probably very uncomfortable. Try NOT to worry about MS flares; they are the least of your problems right now. Youve lived with MS for how long? This is just another really bad week for you.

Yes, the fall could have brought on some symptoms, but they will go away as soon as you start to feel better...did you call your Neuro? Maybe he can put you on some stronger steroids for a week?

Rest! Rest! Rest! Be good to yourself...youll start to feel better soon.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: Need someone to tell me this will be okay ... because I'm scared.

I would suggest you get the MRI of your back as has been suggested, you may have done something to your back that the x-ray was unable to detect.

Being sick such as the Flu, virus, infection can cause an increase of MS symptoms. This is self limiting, once the flu, virus, infection, resolves symptoms will usually return to what is normal for you. This is not a true exacerbation but referred to as a pseudo-exacerbation.

The use of the walker and your difficulty walking would not be due to MS but due to your injuries.

Hope you feel better soon.

Reply Reply