It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Overly sensitive skin

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
    gillila
    (female)

gillila HB Usergillila HB User
    Overly sensitive skin

My skin/muscles seem to be overly sensitive. Sometimes when my husband is teasing me he'll playfully pinch me. Even a slight pinch is very painful. It seems silly to tell him it hurts when i know it wasn't hard at all. Kind of embarassing (but sometimes the pain will bring me to tears) And when our dog climbs on my lap, his feet/knees/elbows seem to stab into my muscles.

Does anyone else experience this? or am i crazy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Overly sensitive skin

Gillila,
    No, you are not crazy! Most of us with MS have different sensory problems...because MS does affect your nerves (via your nervous system), it is not uncommon to feel more pain than what the average person might feel in some areas, while being actually HIGHLY pain tolerant in others!

For instance, I have a very high pain threshold...(living with MS for 15 years can do that) but certain things, like stepping on something only slightly sharp, can bring me to tears because most of my MS symptoms are in my feet and hands. That being said, I can reach into a 400 degree oven and not feel the heat (I have burned myself so many times) because my hands are so damaged from the MS related area of my brain that controls my hands.

Each of us has a different story and different symptoms. Remember, MS is what is known as a snowflake disease- no two people have the exact same set of symptoms.

I hope this makes you feel better! You might have to talk to your husband about this- or show him my post- he needs to understand that your body does not always respond like a "normal" person...and this may be random, it may come and go at different times.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

gillila,

You are not crazy. I have the same problems which can manifest variously. Sometimes I cannot even stand the touch of paper or other times plastic. At other times it can be a person's touch or even clothing. As to the clothing, cotton does best for me.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 12-30-2018, 04:21 AM   #4
    tiku67
    (male)

tiku67 HB User

I have been overly sensitive all my life. I remember times I have stood on a pavement and felt something odd under my shoe. It was often just a cigarette butt, but even that has felt like a much bigger object and it had made my posture tilted.

Also if I walk barefoot at home, I sometimes feel like I have chewing gum stuck under my soles, even though I'm sure they are clean.

Reply Reply