It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Keto Diet ?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
    WhatAreTheOdds
    (female)

WhatAreTheOdds HB User
    Keto Diet ?

Curious if anyone has tried the Keto Diet? Has it helped your MS or made it worse? The was that low fat diet was beneficial. The Keto Diet is high fat...good fats, but still heavy on fat.

I’ve heard of Keto helping with other auto-immune disease, like psoriasis. Wanted to know of others experience with Keto and MS.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
    MSJayhawk
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
    Re: Keto Diet ?

To diet or follow a specific diet is, I believe, as individual as MS is to each MSer. For me, I kept a journal to learn what foods to avoid. Mostly it is for foods which trigger my symptoms or which pose a choking hazard for me. If you do anything, I would encourage you to learn your foods. I abstained from red meat for over ten years, I then ate some but never exceed more than 4 oz a week. Other inflammatory foods for me would be processed meat. Some people have issues with nightshade family like egg plant, potato, and tomatoes. For me, this do not trigger any problems.

Everything you do should be tailored to you. What is best for you might not be for another. Eat foods in moderation as well is what I do too.
    Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
    WhatAreTheOdds
    (female)

WhatAreTheOdds HB User

Thank you for your input. When I was dx in 2006, I implemented a low fat diet. I didn’t count my fats and follow it to a “T”, but I did cut out dairy, red meat,processed foods and sweets. Along with MS therapies, I’ve done fairly well. Over the past couple of years, I’ve fallen off that strict diet, mostly with the sweets and like you I began to enjoy an occasional steak or hamburger. Since that change, I’ve put on some weight and my cholesterol and blood pressure went up.

As I’ve aged and battled to get back on limiting my limited diet, I’ve heard very good things about the Keto Diet both for weight and autoimmune. One of the no-no foods was coconut. The Keto encourages the use of coconut oil and bacon is ok. It’s just hard to re-train my thinking that a high fat diet is actually anti-inflammatory. I will continue to research and slowly reintroduce food groups. I haven’t eaten dairy in years, either. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:42 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

What are the odds,
    Coconut is one of the things which sets me off...if I eat more than a little bit of coconut (real or oil) I can feel my MS flare in the sense that I have more numbness and tingling in my hands and feet.

I spoke to my doctor about the Keto diet and he pretty much told me to stay away from it....there are too many fats which he feels would be incompatible with with MS and being healthy.

Fad diets, which is essentially what the Keto diet is, are not for everyone. I know two people who are strictly on it and to be honest, they look so unhealthy. Both are almost emaciated looking. Neither of them have any other diseases; but they stick to this because they started out as vegetarians to begin with. Personally, I try to stay healthy and in shape, working out 4-5 days a week BECAUSE I have MS, and without eating protein, I don't think I could do what I do.

You really have to look at the big picture besides having MS, what do you put your body through? Do you need protein daily to feed your muscles? A state of constant ketosis is not going to do that.

I would advise you to discuss this with your doctor...having MS is difficult enough sometimes without throwing your body into ketosis and having to deal with that.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhatAreTheOdds View Post

I’ve heard of Keto helping with other auto-immune disease, like psoriasis. Wanted to know of others experience with Keto and MS.
    There must be some theory behind why it would work to cure auto-immune diseases. What is it? I know that lately there's been a lot of talk about auto-immune diseases being caused by "leaky gut" and it seems to make sense being that gut health is very much involved with the body's immune system.

Have you read anything about that?

Reply Reply