It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• MS Symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
    friendly21
    (male)

friendly21 HB User
    MS Symptoms?

In January 2013 I began having sun burn like nerve pain on the top and inside of my thighs. Tight pants or cold wind would make the burning worse. I have also had muscle twitching all over but mainly in my feet, legs, and arms. I have also had joint/muscle pain in my knees/thighs. Brain fog will come and go.

I had clean MRIs, clean EMGs, but 3 positive ANA tests that were as high as 1:640. Although the ANA test was positive the tests for specific Autoimmune diseases have been negative.

Iíve lived with the nerve pain predominantly in my legs for the past 7 years, some days worse than others, and some days none at all.

Fast forward to 2020, and I have more trouble concentrating recently, feels like Iím seeing but not processing fast enough/concentrating. Diagnosed with PLMD, and more nerve pain in the same spot in my thighs, arms, shoulder and back. Havenít been able to get any answers. nerve burning symptoms are worse at night.

The visual processing/brain fog/trouble concentrating and reading large blocks of text is pretty consistent throughout the day. Not sure if that's due to extreme stress where my brain can't process anything else

Iíve been hyper focused on symptoms recently and scared it could be MS. What could this be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: MS Symptoms?

Have you had any evoked potentials on your nerves? Have you been seeing a neurologist?
    You said that all of the specific tests have come back negative..what tests have you had?

This does not sound like MS...possible Polyneuralgia, possibly allot of things, but MS doesnt present the way you are describing usually..

Tell us more about what tests and what type of doctors you have seen.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
    friendly21
    (male)

friendly21 HB User

I'm seeing a neurologist. Neuro exam was normal. Having an MRI of brain and c spine next week. Having blood work done including CBC, metabolic panel, testosterone, ANA, and CRP.

The main issue I'm having right now is visual sensory overload in places like the airport. It's like I can't process fast enough. Hoping for the best but my mind keeps going to MS.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think your symptoms could be consistent with lupus since you have high titer ANA results. Lupus presents in such a wide variety of ways, and it often does not show any specific autoimmune antibodies other than ANA. Since some of your symtpoms are muscle/nerve related, I would suggest some additional lab tests to be done. A sedimentation rate shows chronic inflammation if elevated, (high CRP shows acute inflammation),a CK and aldolase enzyme can show muscle inflammation, sometimes present in lupus (myositis), Vitamin B12 and folate levels, low in peripheral neuropathy associated with autoimmune diseases, a Complement 3 & 4, low in autoimmune disease. These are all blood tests that can be done in one draw. A rheumatologist should be consulted as well to thoroughly check out the other auto antibodies that can be present and give clues to diagnosis. There really is no need to repeat an ANA since you have had 3 positive ones. The symptoms and lab evidence can take months to years to develop, so periodic repeats can be helpful. Lupus and similar autoimmune diseases are treatable, so it's worth pursuing this. I would review the many symptoms and see if you have others, and relay any family history of autoimmune disease to your Dr.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
    friendly21
    (male)

friendly21 HB User

Update - My MRI of my brain and C-spine on a 1.5T was clear. EMG/NCV was also clear. Still worried that I could have MS as my thighs continue to burn and feel like my visual processing is slow. Hopeful that 2 clean MRIs, 1 in 2013 and 1 in 2020 make it unlikely... I still have the sensory nerve pain in my thighs and the only finding on my neuro exam were "brisk" knee reflexes although Neuro said it wasn't pathalogical since they didn't flair out, didn't clonus, and were symmetrical.

Do I need new MRIs of T and L spine too?

Reply Reply

« No answers still. | - »