It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

• Almost positive it's MS

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
    j.m.
    (male)

j.m. HB User
    Almost positive it's MS

Hi there, I'll try to make this brief.
    I am 51 years old.
    I had been a crack addict/drinker
    for the last 20 years. I have been clean and sober for about a month now. The reason I bring this up is I believe it has contributed a great deal to the symptoms I've been having for over a month: lightheadedness, dizziness, numbness in my face and left ankle and now I feel it creeping up a little bit on my wrists and hands.
    Everytime I do a Web search on causes of these symptoms, that's the first thing that pops up: MS, or possibly a brain tumor.
    Plus I've read that late onset ms can cause faster progression of disease. I am really worried, I know I more or less brought this upon myself so I don't really expect much sympathy, but I have really made an effort to clean up my act.
    I have been watching my diet and taking supplements and my symptoms have subsided somewhat from before when I even had slight shortness of breath and almost felt like I was going to collapse. I have this chronic numbness in my face/head and my left ankle.for me the "brain fog" is physical not mental.
    I see my new doc on the 2nd. This other doc I had seen recently, I had told her of my symptoms and I had requested an mri but instead ordered an eckg. I was told I would get a call being informed of the date of the procedure but they never got back to me, so i called and I was told that due to the current covid crisis they could only send me the appt. via mail in maybe about 2 momths. ***
    That's why I have switched doctors but that's still a wait.
    So that's it in a nutshell, so any info/advice would be much appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Almost positive it's MS

Hi J.M.,
    You said "lightheadedness, dizziness, numbness in my face and left ankle and now I feel it creeping up a little bit on my wrists and hands." these are symtoms of thousands of things. As a person living with MS, I can tell you that jumping to MS is not the first thing I would be jumping to..... these are not the typical symptoms of onset MS.

Due to your use of chemicals, so many things could be going on here.... and you are correct that a MRI is a test for MS; however, its not the ONLY test and to rule out MS, blood work, a SED rate for inflammation, EMGs on your wrists and hands and even legs, as well as an EKG should be done. MS is very difficult to diagnose and so many people find absolutely nothing on the MRI, only to have 'lesions" or "scars" show up a year later when it is repeated.

I wish you well, and wont even say the obvious, but take care of yourself... try to stay sober so that your other issues do not confuse the act of diagnosing you. Good luck!

Reply Reply