It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board

Not sure - Help me ask the dr's the right questions and get the right tests done

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 AM   #1
Chicie

Chicie HB User
Question Not sure - Help me ask the dr's the right questions and get the right tests done

My story is very much like others. I went to a doctor with some weird symptoms and they fine nothing. I am very afraid that this is MS. I have 2 very close relatives that have had or has MS. One died at the age of 33. Auto Immune diseases are pretty common in my family. Although I have been told by a Neurologist that MS in not hereditary it is genetic. This makes no sense to me.

My history, tests, etc are listed below. Not all my apply , but i figure the more information the better. I have appointments with a Rheumatologist, a Neurologist and an Endocrinologist. My question to the board is ďwhat tests should I be asking the do?Ē I am most likely going to ask for and an ANA, a spine MRI, a lumbar puncture and more tests for thyroid. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for reading

In the last year or so

Tingling hands: The past 3 months (July 2003) I have been having tingling (pins and needles) in my hands.

Shaking: I have bouts of my hands shaking (July 2003). I have been dropping things quite a bit lately as well.

Arm Weakness: The past 3 months (July 2003) I have had severe weakness in my arms. I have difficulty raising my arms above my head for even short periods of time. For example, if I raise my hands above my head for a few minutes it feels like I have hand them there for an hour.

Tics: I get these weird pulses in my arms and legs. You can actually see the muscle pulsing up and down.

Nausea: It was like morning sickness. I am either queasy or striving for about a month. This seems to come and go. I will be sick for a few weeks and then it is gone.

Headaches: I have had headaches for a very long time now, 10 years or so. The past year they have been more frequent.

Rash: On both arms since (May 2003)

Glasses: I required glasses about 5 months ago (May 2003).

Acne: Past year or so (May 2002), I have had a bad outbreak of acne. I had tried to different dermatologists. 1 had me on antibiotics for about 6 months, which was no help. The other gave me creams and told me to quit smoking. The creams hurt in the sensitive areas I was concerned about. I also quit smoking for 7 months which didnít help either.

Fatigue: I was never could take naps until I got pregnant about 8 years ago. Then I would nap all the time. After that I returned to a non-napper. Napping is now something I do quite often lately (July 2003).

My Medical History

Low Blood Pressure: Recently my pressure has been normal, but most of my life it was about 90/60.

Hypoglycemic: About 17 years ago (1986) I had a 5 hour glucose test my low was 38. I get high protein, low carbohydrate diet.

Shingles: I had shingles during my first pregnancy (1996) I was 30 years old at the time, which the doctor said was very young.

Alopecia Areata: I had a very bad case of alopecia areata at the age of 11 or 12 (1977- 1978). I had this for about 2 years before my hair finally started to grow back. Some spots were as large as a softball and other as small as an easer of a pencil. I also had a reaction to the cortisone shots.

Allergies: I had a scratch test done as a child and got allergy shots as a result. I carry and epipen for bee strings and cats. I get rashes from time to time as well.

Other than the above medical history, I canít think of much else. I donít go to the doctorís office often, I usually opt to ride out a cold. For example: my last full blood workup was in 1995, until recently.

Family History:

Mother: My mother died for stomach cancer at the age of 52 (1994) and had Sprue Disease around the same time. She was anemic and had a sluggish thyroid.

Motherís Sister: My aunt was in a wheelchair at the age of 16 (1948). At that time they didnít diagnose her with MS, they said it was something wrong with her spine. She was diagnosed with MS at the age of 30 (1962) and died at 33 (1965).

Brother: My brother was diagnosed with MS about 6 years ago (1997). Had MS for 7 years (1996), but wasnít diagnosed until a year later.

Motherís Sister: My other aunt has Osteo Genesis Imperfecta and so does her daughter.

Some of my cousins have MS, Alopecia Universalis, Fibromyalgia, Crohn's disease and Interstitial Cystitis mostly all women.

Last edited by Chicie; 11-12-2003 at 11:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #2
Chicie

Chicie HB User
Red face Tests so far

Sorry forgot this part

Tests I have had done:

CBC: Monocytes Low, RDW high.

MRI of the brain: Normal

EMG: Normal

Lyme: Negative

West Nile: Negative

Old 11-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
CLJones64

CLJones64 HB User
Best I can tell, you're very informed and know which tests still need to be done. When I was dx'd I had a brain/spinal MRI and a spinal tap. That, coupled with my history, and a very thorough neurological exam confirmed my doctor's suspicions. Good luck! Hugs, Carla

2 bulging and 1 herniated disc 09/03. Bulging at C5/C6 and C6/C7 levels. Herniation with foraminal narrowing and obvious nerve root compression at T1/T2.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:04 AM   #4
Chicie

Chicie HB User
Hi Carla,

Thanks, for the info. I have been doing a lot of homework lately. Have called relatives I haven't spoken to in years to get more info. I really want to find out what is going on with me. It is very embarrassing to shake uncontrollably and people ask ďwhat's the matter?Ē and ďare you ok?Ē At this point I can only tell them I don't know, been going from doctor to doctor and taking all kinds of tests. I don't want MS, I really hope it is something like a vitamin deficiency and it can be cleared up quickly, but I really need answers.

BTW I really like this message board.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
Kim Kacer

Kim Kacer HB User
Re: Not sure - Help me ask the dr's the right questions and get the right tests done

Chicie,

Okay, ALL of the family promblems have been implicated in Omega 3 deficiency.

Fibromyalgia cause: Omega 3 deficiency.

Crohn's disease and Interstitial Cystitis - the intestines are SUPPOSED to be 80& Omega 3 fatty acids, not ingesting enough make them not work quite right - thereby resulting in IBS, Crohns, or celiac disease. Omega 3 deficiency.

Alopecia has been implicated in omega 3 deficiency, several auto-immune diseases including Sjogren's disease and Lupus have proven benefits w/omega 3 therapy.

Do yourself and all your relatives a favor. Go buy out the flaxseed oil & 400IU softgels of Vitamin E and get everyone started on these suppliments.

You'll want to talk to docs to be ceratin there will be no problem, but DO NOT let them talk you OUT of taking it. They are overworked and generally burned out from sick people they are only able to help by treating SYMPTOMS, rather than actual causes.

THIS IS the cause. Think back to 4th-5th grade when you learned about the devestating disease scurvy, many deaths resulted from scurvy - and the solution? Foods containing vitamin C - simple. This is as well - though the who/what/where/when/why/how's can get a bit more complex. THIS IS A DEFICIENCY DISEASE, the 21st century "scurvy" only it's not vitamin C we're defcient in, it's Omega 3 fatty acids.

I've had MS for almost 6 years (diagnosed). I lost all sight in my right eye, 4 months later it was only at 20/1000 I _knew_ that the docs would expect it to get no better after 3 months from various papers I'd read, usually one recovers as much as one is going to in the 3 months following an attack, but I asked anyway, "Doc, when is my eyesight going to improve?" She replied something like, "It's as good as it will be, you're going to have to adjust to it."

Now I have 20/40 sight in that eye, exactly where it was BEFORE the MS attack that took it.

I was PRETTY sure 2 years ago, but not positive, NOW I'm POSITIVE, and NOW I can explain every symptom I've experienced why it happened, how it happened, what will allow my body to repair it - etc....

Everthing you rel;ated, allergies, high blood pressure - everything is implicated in Omega 3 SEVERE deficiency.

I'd bet a million dollars (if I had it) that your blood levels of Omega 3's are almost non-existant.

GET ON FLAXSEED OIL!

You'd also benefit from taking 400IU of vitamin E (it helps protect the Omega 3's as they travel through the body). And you should take 2000mg (2G)/day in the morning after you wake up.

If you take `em at night there's a chance you won't sleep as it CAN cause insomnia.

Store them in the freezer so they do not degrade.

Also you should discontinue them 2 weeks before surgery and 1-2 weeks after surgery, as it has a blood-thinning effect. Then resume therapy.

If you're on blood thinners, you need to tell your doc you'd like to be ON Omega 3 suppliments and ask if s/he needs to adjust the medication to account for the bloodthinning effects of the flaxseed oil. Do not let the doc deter you. Tell them you WILL be taking it, THEY need to adjust your medication so that it will be safe. If you are NOT on blood thinners, and are NOT a hemophiliac (sp?) it's safe. Unlesss you're going to have surgery.

If I can be of any other assistance, explain who/what/where/when/why/how - just drop me a line or ask here.

Good luck,

Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicie
My story is very much like others. I went to a doctor with some weird symptoms and they fine nothing. I am very afraid that this is MS. I have 2 very close relatives that have had or has MS. One died at the age of 33. Auto Immune diseases are pretty common in my family. Although I have been told by a Neurologist that MS in not hereditary it is genetic. This makes no sense to me.

My history, tests, etc are listed below. Not all my apply , but i figure the more information the better. I have appointments with a Rheumatologist, a Neurologist and an Endocrinologist. My question to the board is ďwhat tests should I be asking the do?Ē I am most likely going to ask for and an ANA, a spine MRI, a lumbar puncture and more tests for thyroid. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for reading

In the last year or so

Tingling hands: The past 3 months (July 2003) I have been having tingling (pins and needles) in my hands.

Shaking: I have bouts of my hands shaking (July 2003). I have been dropping things quite a bit lately as well.

Arm Weakness: The past 3 months (July 2003) I have had severe weakness in my arms. I have difficulty raising my arms above my head for even short periods of time. For example, if I raise my hands above my head for a few minutes it feels like I have hand them there for an hour.

Tics: I get these weird pulses in my arms and legs. You can actually see the muscle pulsing up and down.

Nausea: It was like morning sickness. I am either queasy or striving for about a month. This seems to come and go. I will be sick for a few weeks and then it is gone.

Headaches: I have had headaches for a very long time now, 10 years or so. The past year they have been more frequent.

Rash: On both arms since (May 2003)

Glasses: I required glasses about 5 months ago (May 2003).

Acne: Past year or so (May 2002), I have had a bad outbreak of acne. I had tried to different dermatologists. 1 had me on antibiotics for about 6 months, which was no help. The other gave me creams and told me to quit smoking. The creams hurt in the sensitive areas I was concerned about. I also quit smoking for 7 months which didnít help either.

Fatigue: I was never could take naps until I got pregnant about 8 years ago. Then I would nap all the time. After that I returned to a non-napper. Napping is now something I do quite often lately (July 2003).

My Medical History

Low Blood Pressure: Recently my pressure has been normal, but most of my life it was about 90/60.

Hypoglycemic: About 17 years ago (1986) I had a 5 hour glucose test my low was 38. I get high protein, low carbohydrate diet.

Shingles: I had shingles during my first pregnancy (1996) I was 30 years old at the time, which the doctor said was very young.

Alopecia Areata: I had a very bad case of alopecia areata at the age of 11 or 12 (1977- 1978). I had this for about 2 years before my hair finally started to grow back. Some spots were as large as a softball and other as small as an easer of a pencil. I also had a reaction to the cortisone shots.

Allergies: I had a scratch test done as a child and got allergy shots as a result. I carry and epipen for bee strings and cats. I get rashes from time to time as well.

Other than the above medical history, I canít think of much else. I donít go to the doctorís office often, I usually opt to ride out a cold. For example: my last full blood workup was in 1995, until recently.

Family History:

Mother: My mother died for stomach cancer at the age of 52 (1994) and had Sprue Disease around the same time. She was anemic and had a sluggish thyroid.

Motherís Sister: My aunt was in a wheelchair at the age of 16 (1948). At that time they didnít diagnose her with MS, they said it was something wrong with her spine. She was diagnosed with MS at the age of 30 (1962) and died at 33 (1965).

Brother: My brother was diagnosed with MS about 6 years ago (1997). Had MS for 7 years (1996), but wasnít diagnosed until a year later.

Motherís Sister: My other aunt has Osteo Genesis Imperfecta and so does her daughter.

Some of my cousins have MS, Alopecia Universalis, Fibromyalgia, Crohn's disease and Interstitial Cystitis mostly all women.

Old 12-04-2003, 06:14 AM   #6
Chicie

Chicie HB User
Omega 3

Hi Kim,

I will give a try. I a few doctor appointments next week, so I ask at that time.

Thanks Chcie

Closed Thread